What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

COVID-19 common sense.

Rich102

Staff member
Here's a no BS non political run down of what it is and how to deal with it on a personal level.

Virus Detection:

The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a Common Cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.

The virus is typically first installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.

The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs in the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.

Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanied, but there may be a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:

The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.

Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.

Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth, it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly into the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water, the virus can pass into the trachea and from there to the lungs, where it is very dangerous.

For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and the vitamin D is good for you.

The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.

If an infected person sneezes near us, stay 10 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.

When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.

The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.

Washing your hands is essential.

The virus survives on our hands for only about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, rubbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.

You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimize the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down to the trachea and then to the lungs.

Disinfect things touched often: cellphone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc

I hope you all can follow the suggested procedures and stay safe.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Genuinely not trying to be an arsehole here, but what's the source for this information?

Apparently the "drink water to flush the virus into your stomach" thing is bollocks. It's hard to know what to listen to, I think it's wise to know our sources.

Rich102

Staff member
A map I came across that relates to cases in NZ:
https://covid19map.co.nz/

Very interesting for those in NZ.
If you click on your area it details the known cases and where they likely were infected.
Also a breakdown by age and sex.

The level of knowledge the Government has on this I find very heartening.
I am in Northland.

sup42

Juniors
Apart from the hand washing almost everything in that email is wrong.

I'm only saying that with the benefit of hindsight.

I was spreading the same message at the time to family and freinds.

We now know Covid has a wide symptom profile including runny nose or any cold and flu symptoms, and ironically it can cause diarrhea in some instances.

The virus lasts up to 72 hours on surfaces. Listerine etc is useless.

Like I say I'm not elevating myself here, I too followed the same advice.

It's an evolving thing and I fully expect that some of what I understand is right, will quite probably change over time.

Right now Doctor Fauci is saying that in the cases of pet cats that are infected "there is no evidence that they can pass on the virus to humans".

I tell ya, I trust the scientists, but I can see what he is really saying is that there is no evidence because it's entirely new and therefore no evidence is somewhat of an oxymoron.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Addo-Carr is as dumb as dogshit, not only breaking the isolation rules but backing that up by posting it on social media, he, Mitchell and Roberts-Davis will go for a skate

Of course he is trying to use the cultural bullshit to get away with it