What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hmmmm

Dragon David

First Grade
Apparently Frank Hyde and Graeme Langlands had a frosty relationship. Frank never gave Chang the Seiko man of the match award, except on one occasion.

His curt language did not endear him to some. Frank Hyde, the legendary commentator, covered the match of the day for 2SM at the SCG when the Dragons were a regular fixture.

Frank was having a feud with Changa and regularly awarded the prize watch to other players in the St George team.

Finally, came the day Langlands outplayed everyone to the extent that Frank simply had to give him the Seiko.

As the highly respected Hyde rose from his sideline seat, moving to Langlands on the sideline, he declared: "My man of the match is Graeme Langlands." Changa's response was quintessential Langlands. "Stick it up your arse," he said.

- Roy Masters
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/re...-for-the-modern-fullback-20180121-h0lprg.html
Frank was fantastic in his calls of the games and he had that mellow singing voice particularly with Danny Boy. I can picture Changa saying what he said and you could have a good laugh about it.

blacksafake

First Grade
The good old days eh

I’d happily settle for listening to Frank Hyde again
....with a Rhum Negrita -

....as the ball floats:
“long enough, it’s high enough, if it’s straight it’s there”

No one could match his on air excitement at a Gasnier or Changa linebreak

What a champ from the good old days of honest club footy with hard working men who played for the love of the game

- he won a title with Balmain in ‘39 and broadcast 33 straight grand finals

- and Mum said Dad would often have me on his knee listening in to him call Dragons’ games from what must’ve been around ‘55

When I took the family to the West Indies 20 odd years ago I remember thinking of Frank & his beloved Negrita

....which must’ve warmed the cockles of a few hearts (mum’s phrase) in some of those bleak Sydney winters.

Funny how odd things imprint from childhood

What a time it was, and what a team we had Andrew
I have a photo somewhere of Frank presenting me with a trophy at a footy presentation when i was about 10.I used to love his calls & was glued to the old tranny! every week.

Latest posts