What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are your favourite rugby league images ?

Watched an old game Canterbury vs Easts from 1983 the other day and the commentators were Darrell Eastlake, Ian Maurice and Arthur Summons were the commentators, this was when 9 did the Saturday game with an hour broadcast which included ads so you only got about 45 mins of game.

i remember that and remember the broadcast intro/song.... it popped into my head (for no apparent reason) a few months ago.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
14114867_846758432127813_7675347272054424754_o.jpg

Desert Qlder

First Grade
NRL_GF_2017.jpg

18-0 up, right on half-time. Seven storm players chasing in desperation. Sounds strange but it was one of the highlights of that game for me.

Fair play.

It wasn't all the tries that you were loading on us that night that made me think we were comprehensively beaten. It was moments like this when a swarm of purple jerseys would round on any half chance that we created.

horrie hastings

First Grade

This was on the NRL site with the pic.

Fact: There are 110 players in the NRL Hall of Fame – and not one is named Stanley, either Christian or surname.

One character who should be in the Hall of Infamy is Stanley the Steel Avenger.

In 1995 Mr Steel Avenger became the first and only NRL mascot to be sent off by a referee for joining in an on-field brawl.

During the Steelers-Tigers match at Steelers Stadium, Illawarra fullback Brendan O’Meara and Mark O’Neill of the Tigers started some fisticuffs before Stanley joined the fray.

"I looked down and there was Stanley on the deck – I couldn’t believe it!" O’Meara told Windang’s own superhero Steve Mascord who was reporting on the match for the Sydney Morning Herald.

"He was certainly having a go. The ref [Tony Maksoud] just said ‘You, off!’ and Stanley was shattered."

Maksoud confirmed he had marched Stanley: "It was nothing too serious … but he can’t be allowed to touch players under any circumstances. I’ve put it on report."

The Herald reported that the send-off meant Stanley was not eligible to win the Rothman's Medal.

Honourable mascot mention
The mascot for barbecue chicken outlet Red Rooster was attacked by a gang of children after the Western Reds' first home against St George in Perth in 1995. The Paddle Pop Lion came to his aid.

horrie hastings

First Grade
1982_nil-all_w480.jpg

Nil by mouth
"The better side drew," Newtown coach Warren Ryan drolly commented at full-time following the Jets and Bulldogs playing out an historical 0-0 result at Henson Park in round five of 1982.

In rain and gloom, the teams couldn’t break the deadlock played at The Jewel In the Crown of rugby league fields before a crowd of 8972.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald’s report, it wasn’t as if both teams didn’t have chances to trouble the scoreboard attendant with Newtown going close to scoring tries twice in the first half, and Newtown skipper Ken Wilson and Bulldogs winger Tony Armstrong both missing penalty goals.

eve Mortimer was unsuccessful with a field goal attempt in the 61st minute, but perhaps the most contentious incident occurred in the 74th minute when a scrum erupted in front of the Canterbury posts and Newtown forward Steve Bowden was decked.

After consulting with both touch judges referee Barry Goldsworthy decided not to give a penalty and repacked the scrum.

"It’s like going around in a Melbourne Cup – and dead-heating," Wilson told The Herald.