What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There will no Tests this year right?

Cold Roses

Juniors
I mentioned the crowds, and obviously the history too, I'm 85% sure that the 'Roos lift their game when they play England. On a seperate thing I think NZ RU lift for matches against Wales too.

Well that’s a bit different from your original statement. Personally i don’t see that Aus lift their game any more against England than they do against NZ, but that’s your opinion and fair enough if you see it that way. Maybe it’s more a case of the novelty of them not playing each other as often (as someone else pointed out) that gives that impression.

You stated that you believe Aus vs England are the only tests that matter because NZ have gone downhill since 2010 and I don’t think that’s the case. Apart from the shambles that was Kearney’s last tour at the end of 2015, and the whole 2 years of madness that Kidwell overlooked in 2016-2017, the last decade has in my opinion been one of our strongest in a long time. We are a serious threat every time we play Australia, and our win ratio against England is pretty much even. We could even lay claim to be the best team in the world in 2014-2015.

Had a few hiccups along the way? Sure. Gone downhill? No.

IIRC Australia didn't want to play in 2014, they were shattered. There are too many NRL matches. If we played 11-a-side with unlimited interchanges, and no kicking in a forwards direction with four 15 minute quarters we'd be able to play 24 regualr season matches a season. Internationals, Origin and Grand Finals would be 80 minutes though, 4 quarters of 20 mins obviously.

This autumn’s Ashes series between England and Australia is in doubt, with the NRL season possibly being played until November.

The UK rugby league season has been suspended indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic, while the NRL has announced they will resume play on May 28.

With the NRL having already missed a couple of rounds due to the lockdown, it is likely that the competition will run beyond the usual Grand Final date in October.

England are scheduled to host Australia in a three-match Ashes series this autumn, with the games taking place at Bolton (October 31), Leeds (November 7) and Tottenham (November 14).

RLPA chief Clint Newton told NRL.com: “We also have to strike a balance of ‘we’re doing this for this year’, but you also want to rebound next year with a high-quality competition.

“You would suggest that playing up to November becomes a very real possibility.”
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ashes-series-in-doubt-as-nrl-could-run-until-november/

That was a pretty special team alright. You don’t think the current one, full strength, injury free, is just as good though? Like the one that beat Australia 18 months ago. That was a damn strong side.
A year after a WC. Keary went off after 16 mins. I wasn't feeling it watching that match, that it was a proper test match.

adamkungl

Immortal
the chances of playing the Kangaroo tour this year seem super slim - not only the possibility of the NRL running late into summer, but at this stage it would seem borders will still probably be closed to international travel.

But the optimist in me thinks that
1 - Aus-NZ travel will be allowed before Europe
2 - There will be a higher-than-usual appetite for more League content at years end due to the short season

I think there's a high possibility of the Oceania Cup proceeding with Australia in the top tier making a 4-Nations (As it always should have been)
Even if the NRL or Origin runs late it could play on December evenings.