What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Suli

Richard Norton

Juniors
Hunt was dropped to reserve grade and was playing poorly in his last season at the Broncos. Everyone was surprised at his reported price tag. I think Mitchell Pearce was on the market for less at the time and maybe Maloney as well.

We could have gone for a number of five-eighths, Johnston comes to mind.

There were so many stars bandied around as a recruitment to SGI. The majority of them not even approached.

Then the long term contracts for Aitken and Lafai, the failure to replace like for like in the back 3 positions and now the loss of Frizell.

So many more players could be identified however, the above lot are an indication of the situation.

I'd say a retern to the two year deals with a one year optional extension in favour of SGI would be a much better policy for the majority of new signings.
Possm, a few things.
Hunts contract is nowhere near the value reported. Thats been well discussed by all parties.
Pearce, at that time, was regarded as the most over rated half in the comp.
Johnson at 5/8? That would have been a worse signing then Norman. Lets be fair.
You keep harping on about the 3 years Lafai and Eaun got.
At the time, they were the gun centres in the NRL.
If we lost them and they stayed as good as they were, Millward would have been hung.
Hindsights a beautifull thing possm.
But Millward wasnt to know this would happen.
Frizell, we have Fuimano, 5 years younger, costs 1/4 of Friz price, and plays just as hard and is just as good.
Already signed to us. Can we give him credit for having a ready to go replacement? Off course not.
Yes wingers we have struggled since Moz left.
We had Nene, who was touted a future star at the time.
Again, hindsight possm.
Rava and JP arent doing to bad. Saab is waiting, so is Feigi....
Who was there that we could have signed? Its easy to say Addo Carr, this player, that player, etc etc but why havnt other clubs been able to secure these players from there current clubs either?
Its not as easy as you seem to think it is possm.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Possm, a few things.
Hunts contract is nowhere near the value reported. Thats been well discussed by all parties.
Pearce, at that time, was regarded as the most over rated half in the comp.
Johnson at 5/8? That would have been a worse signing then Norman. Lets be fair.
You keep harping on about the 3 years Lafai and Eaun got.
At the time, they were the gun centres in the NRL.
If we lost them and they stayed as good as they were, Millward would have been hung.
Hindsights a beautifull thing possm.
But Millward wasnt to know this would happen.
Frizell, we have Fuimano, 5 years younger, costs 1/4 of Friz price, and plays just as hard and is just as good.
Already signed to us. Can we give him credit for having a ready to go replacement? Off course not.
Yes wingers we have struggled since Moz left.
We had Nene, who was touted a future star at the time.
Again, hindsight possm.
Rava and JP arent doing to bad. Saab is waiting, so is Feigi....
Who was there that we could have signed? Its easy to say Addo Carr, this player, that player, etc etc but why havnt other clubs been able to secure these players from there current clubs either?
Its not as easy as you seem to think it is possm.
Richard

You had me right up until you gave Ravalawa a little rap. Couldn't get a run at Canberra and we picked him up from the Mounties. Move him on

BLM01

First Grade
And with cap levels likely to go down, not much left in the kitty for the rest of the squad.
Which brings me to the point about the current cap Assuming it stays as it is. That Any club that has more than two $1 million players or there about say $850k + (we have 2 in our halves) has to struggle big time to fit the rest under the cap With the average first grade wage around 300. I know there is third-party payments + long serving club allowances but there’s also other factors that get added into a teams cap That no one even thinks about like players let’s go still under contract and other incentives etc

Manly have 3.and likely well over 3 mil
We have 2.
Cronulla have almost 4 in Johnson Dugan Fifita & Moylan or Graham. No wonder they want Duges out.

blacksafake

First Grade
Hunt was dropped to reserve grade and was playing poorly in his last season at the Broncos. Everyone was surprised at his reported price tag. I think Mitchell Pearce was on the market for less at the time and maybe Maloney as well.

We could have gone for a number of five-eighths, Johnston comes to mind.

There were so many stars bandied around as a recruitment to SGI. The majority of them not even approached.

Then the long term contracts for Aitken and Lafai, the failure to replace like for like in the back 3 positions and now the loss of Frizell.

So many more players could be identified however, the above lot are an indication of the situation.

I'd say a retern to the two year deals with a one year optional extension in favour of SGI would be a much better policy for the majority of new signings.
Johnston has been lucky to hold down his spot at the Sharks & is too erratic for my liking.

Of course there were so called stars bandied about But how do you know we never actually approached them?
If Millward did i'd say there was a good chance that the question of coaching came up & once L plates name was mentioned the talks stopped there.

True_Believer

Juniors
Johnston has been lucky to hold down his spot at the Sharks & is too erratic for my liking.

Of course there were so called stars bandied about But how do you know we never actually approached them?
If Millward did i'd say there was a good chance that the question of coaching came up & once L plates name was mentioned the talks stopped there.

Apparently you just lie through your teeth. That should get them over the line.

Richard Norton

Juniors
Richard

You had me right up until you gave Ravalawa a little rap. Couldn't get a run at Canberra and we picked him up from the Mounties. Move him on
Mate, respectfully, i disagree.
I actually think Rava will turn into an excellent winger.
Each to there own.
But i think Rava on the wing outside a quality centre would be awesome.
Put Rava outside Suli and see that combo go!

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
When we signed Rava sticky sent him out to the bush in petulance

This thread started triumphantly but with the cold water thrown over the announcement of Suli's signing by his manager in particular, we are back to square one- what's that old Dusty Springfield song?- Wishing and Hoping.

My gut feeling tells me that unless the Board is able perform a Houdini like routine ie get rid of Mary and convince Greenberg or Vlandys that the immediate lifting of Flannos suspension is crucial to the financial fortunes of the club, we can forget any meaningful signings for next year.

We know that local club revenue is going to be particularly important in 2021 with NRL corporate revenue in free fall,and it is not difficult to prove that our finances are hanging by a thread. Just look at our crowd figures. A little known fact is that the Dragons attendances last year dropped a catastrophic 37% from 2018- easily the largest percentage drop of any club. Meanwhile the Broncos, a rich one city club with massive attendances and income sources, seems to have cornered the market of damaging forwards. All the reports I've read suggest that some of these Polynesian forwards (Fifita, Haas, etc) want to become a Band of Brothers and build a dynasty at the club.

Bottom line, we are going to have to offer a premiership winning coach PLUS a huge pot of money to shake up the Brisbane forwards alliance and get a replacement for Frizz to come to the gong- and this doesn't even address the backs problem.

jak

Bench
Richard

to be fair he did have a couple of good one's in front of him.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
This thread started triumphantly but with the cold water thrown over the announcement of Suli's signing by his manager in particular, we are back to square one- what's that old Dusty Springfield song?- Wishing and Hoping.

My gut feeling tells me that unless the Board is able perform a Houdini like routine ie get rid of Mary and convince Greenberg or Vlandys that the immediate lifting of Flannos suspension is crucial to the financial fortunes of the club, we can forget any meaningful signings for next year.

We know that local club revenue is going to be particularly important in 2021 with NRL corporate revenue in free fall,and it is not difficult to prove that our finances are hanging by a thread. Just look at our crowd figures. A little known fact is that the Dragons attendances last year dropped a catastrophic 37% from 2018- easily the largest percentage drop of any club. Meanwhile the Broncos, a rich one city club with massive attendances and income sources, seems to have cornered the market of damaging forwards. All the reports I've read suggest that some of these Polynesian forwards (Fifita, Haas, etc) want to become a Band of Brothers and build a dynasty at the club.

Bottom line, we are going to have to offer a premiership winning coach PLUS a huge pot of money to shake up the Brisbane forwards alliance and get a replacement for Frizz to come to the gong- and this doesn't even address the backs problem.
I am wondering why the Dragons haven't gone all out in the past and the present to land south pacific islanders who are big and tough like some other clubs. Surely there must be scouts from the Dragons looking for these sort of guys to build our forward stocks up. Mose Masoe was a big lug of a guy born in Samoa but injury prone for us and did not play first grade - now sadly won't be able to play again . We haven't had those really big guys have we?

You take our current crop of forwards - Vaughn, Sims, Merrin, Host, Ford, Lawrie etc not massive. Yes we have Kerr and Blacker but they are not bullyish and dominant enough. We have to recruit a couple of these big islander guys to be at least competitive in the forwards because our guys just don't have that toughness to win us games.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

That's what happens when the mega rich look after the mega a#*e licker....as in our case

Jbjbjb40

Juniors
Which brings me to the point about the current cap Assuming it stays as it is. That Any club that has more than two $1 million players or there about say $850k + (we have 2 in our halves) has to struggle big time to fit the rest under the cap With the average first grade wage around 300. I know there is third-party payments + long serving club allowances but there’s also other factors that get added into a teams cap That no one even thinks about like players let’s go still under contract and other incentives etc

Manly have 3.and likely well over 3 mil
We have 2.
Cronulla have almost 4 in Johnson Dugan Fifita & Moylan or Graham. No wonder they want Duges out.
I think the cap will lower significantly and the players new salary will be determined by percentages

Dragon David

First Grade
I think the cap will lower significantly and the players new salary will be determined by percentages

I think the same jbjbjb40 that the cap will be lowered significantly for a few years to help with the costs to bring the games back after the alleged squandering by the NRL of the funds given to it by the broadcasters.

I'd say that the new amount would be around $6.5m which is a third of the current cap of $9.8m. So if the cap is reduced by a third, players earning $900K will end up with a price tag of $600K, another earning $600K would be paid $400K and so on. So yes as you say the new salary will be determined by percentage to be agreed by players, managers association and NRL is how i see it.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I think the same jbjbjb40 that the cap will be lowered significantly for a few years to help with the costs to bring the games back after the alleged squandering by the NRL of the funds given to it by the broadcasters.

I'd say that the new amount would be around $6.5m which is a third of the current cap of $9.8m. So if the cap is reduced by a third, players earning $900K will end up with a price tag of $600K, another earning $600K would be paid $400K and so on. So yes as you say the new salary will be determined by percentage to be agreed by players, managers association and NRL is how i see it.
* Players from the Roosters exempted.

getsmarty

Immortal
* Players from the Roosters exempted.
It will be interesting to watch if there is any impact on them. Spoke to a lovely gent the other week who used to work for the NRL...stated they had allegedly been.spending beyond there means for decades.

Had some interesting things to say in regards to the cap and how certain clubs are streets ahead.re smart operating ;-) etc..He mentioned a certain power broker from a club that he stated virtually runs the game...giving that particular club an incredible advantage...

I began to discuss our incumbent coach and he shut up like a clam...claiming it was all the players fault....

Funny, how some people are not interested in seeing their mates in a bad light.

Last edited:

Latest posts