What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

hazzbeen

Bench
I cancelled mine through Telstra as I am a customer of that Corporation. Yes I had to wait for about an hour and someone from the Philippines or some Asian place answered and I was able to cancel. I know I won't be saving much ($29.00) per month, but better in my pocket than in Foxtel"s/Telstra's. When the league and golf etc come back on, then they can have my money again.

There is a lot of pressure being applied to have the games back on by the NRL, Fox, C9, media and the government by way of the Deputy Premier, John Barilaro. He is really talking it up to have the games return next month. C9 though has not been properly consulted about this so not happy and having a real dig at the NRL for squandering and mismanaging millions of funds over a number of years.

A lot of the goings on to have games played is a money thing, people also getting bored with no sport to keep them sane and to look forward to something. I still don't think that having a bubble accommodation arrangement and isolating the players from family and friends is a good thing as it could bring on other issues.

Social distancing will become part of our daily lives now that we are practising it in addition to much improved hygiene practices. So I think that the grounds will remain empty for quite a while until a vaccine becomes available for each and every one of us. Likewise, clubs, pubs restaurants, cafes etc will not have the ability to have hordes of people patronising these places for a significant time. I cannot wait though for this bloody drama to be over and we can get on with our lives - bring back normality to human beings!!
Hang in there mate , we are all in the same boat , but there are a few of us that are on the St George Illawarra boat that is sinking fast ......

Frank Facer

First Grade
A lot of the goings on to have games played is a money thing, people also getting bored with no sport to keep them sane and to look forward to something. I still don't think that having a bubble accommodation arrangement and isolating the players from family and friends is a good thing as it could bring on other issues

I understand where you are coming from, but I think if player and or players wives had to choose between getting $750 a week and being around their families or playing football while living in bubble accommodation and receiving $8000 to 18 000 a week, they would choose the second option. There are numerous guys who spend a lot of time away from their families doing jobs such as the military, truck drivers, in the mines, oil rigs, on ships or boats etc and I doubt many of them are earning 8 000 to 18 000 a week. It will only be for a limited time too. They can face time/Skype with their families. Talk to them on the phone. They would also be around their team mates after the 14 day isolation period.

I think those who are living by themselves could be doing it really tough as they can't go and visit any friends and family or have them visit.

BLM01

First Grade
I understand where you are coming from, but I think if player and or players wives had to choose between getting $750 a week and being around their families or playing football while living in bubble accommodation and receiving $8000 to 18 000 a week, they would choose the second option. There are numerous guys who spend a lot of time away from their families doing jobs such as the military, truck drivers, in the mines, oil rigs, on ships or boats etc and I doubt many of them are earning 8 000 to 18 000 a week. It will only be for a limited time too. They can face time/Skype with their families. Talk to them on the phone. They would also be around their team mates after the 14 day isolation period.

I think those who are living by themselves could be doing it really tough as they can't go and visit any friends and family or have them visit.
No problem anymore. The NRL must have the real news as the Virus will be on the way out in their world in some shape or fashion. They will be allowed to gather again. Is life really going back to some sort of norm so quickly or is that just for Racing and NRL who must be immune to it all?...while the rest of us are in lockdown
Comp to start May 28...just ties in with the end of the 7 month salary guaranteed. Funny that.
What do they know that the normal public dont get told.
What about the other levels of RL?...can we go back and play too?....my club has a stack of gear paid for sitting in the storeroom and not worn yet....dont worry it is just some sponsors asking the question!

Frank Facer

First Grade
No problem anymore. The NRL must have the real news as the Virus will be on the way out in their world in some shape or fashion. They will be allowed to gather again. Is life really going back to some sort of norm so quickly or is that just for Racing and NRL who must be immune to it all?...while the rest of us are in lockdown
Comp to start May 28...just ties in with the end of the 7 month salary guaranteed. Funny that.
What do they know that the normal public dont get told.
What about the other levels of RL?...can we go back and play too?....my club has a stack of gear paid for sitting in the storeroom and not worn yet....dont worry it is just some sponsors asking the question!
I saw something that the lock down will be for at least 3 months. I will actually be surprised if it is over in 3 months. I also believe that all the governments are getting orders from higher up regarding the coronavirus. I think it is a planedmic, designed to destroy all our economies all at once, which will bankrupt them all at once and make governments insolvent, creating a scenario which will be worse than the so called Great Depression. Which will send small and medium businesses broke and destroy the middle class, which at the very least, will allow those at the top to buy everything up for cheap. Those at the top can then take control of our countries assets and land, like they do with the 3rd world countries and what happened to Greece. It is also about forced vaccines. Our prime minister and Canada's have both said that things won't get back to normal, until there is a vaccine. It is also a major step in their plans for a cashless society world wide. They are also now using this as an excuse to track everyone with their mobile phone. The next step is obviously having everyone micro chipped, with all money on a chip. And with all the governments bankrupt that can pave the way for their one world government. It all of the above doesn't happen in the next 18 months, then it will within 10 years time. I could take it a lot further, but I think I will stop there.

BLM01

First Grade
I saw something that the lock down will be for at least 3 months. I will actually be surprised if it is over in 3 months. I also believe that all the governments are getting orders from higher up regarding the coronavirus. I think it is a planedmic, designed to destroy all our economies all at once, which will bankrupt them all at once and make governments insolvent, creating a scenario which will be worse than the so called Great Depression. Which will send small and medium businesses broke and destroy the middle class, which at the very least, will allow those at the top to buy everything up for cheap. Those at the top can then take control of our countries assets and land, like they do with the 3rd world countries and what happened to Greece. It is also about forced vaccines. Our prime minister and Canada's have both said that things won't get back to normal, until there is a vaccine. It is also a major step in their plans for a cashless society world wide. They are also now using this as an excuse to track everyone with their mobile phone. The next step is obviously having everyone micro chipped, with all money on a chip. And with all the governments bankrupt that can pave the way for their one world government. It all of the above doesn't happen in the next 18 months, then it will within 10 years time. I could take it a lot further, but I think I will stop there.
I dont know what to say to that...except...I disagree with your 1st 2 sentences. I'll stop there.

Crush

Coach

Dragon David

First Grade
There is Buckley's chance of the NRL games starting in May. There are just too many hurdles and protocols to get over - the main one of course is the social distancing requirements that has to be adhered to. Players are not immune to this even though the committee headed up by Wayne Pearce says that all the checks and balances will be put in place for the safety of the players and the community.

The State and Federal Governments cannot turn a blind eye to this. Why should the NRL get special dispensation to put the games on when there are so many other sporting clubs and facilities itching to get back to playing sports etc again. These others must obey the protocols and rules put in place by the relevant State and Federal Health Ministers because if there is any likelihood that the virus will infect players and bring about more cases for treatment the lockdowns will be in place for much longer and these Ministers would not want this on their heads.

BLM01

First Grade
There is Buckley's chance of the NRL games starting in May. There are just too many hurdles and protocols to get over - the main one of course is the social distancing requirements that has to be adhered to. Players are not immune to this even though the committee headed up by Wayne Pearce says that all the checks and balances will be put in place for the safety of the players and the community.

The State and Federal Governments cannot turn a blind eye to this. Why should the NRL get special dispensation to put the games on when there are so many other sporting clubs and facilities itching to get back to playing sports etc again. These others must obey the protocols and rules put in place by the relevant State and Federal Health Ministers because if there is any likelihood that the virus will infect players and bring about more cases for treatment the lockdowns will be in place for much longer and these Ministers would not want this on their heads.
We shall see. I think it will happen. They are pretty confident. The Dep Premier has supported it in a round about away. Quote
"Barilo said the league would have the government’s backing to restart its season, which was suspended after round two, to resume as early as May 21."
Maybe the NRL have their own computer modelling on how quick this wretched virus will peak, come and go.
Have you ever thought for just a moment that .....never mind
I ask you this...why are horse races still allowed to carry on?...essential service race day?

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
We shall see. I think it will happen. They are pretty confident. The Dep Premier has supported it in a round about away. Quote
"Barilo said the league would have the government’s backing to restart its season, which was suspended after round two, to resume as early as May 21."
Maybe the NRL have their own computer modelling on how quick this wretched virus will peak, come and go.
Have you ever thought for just a moment that .....never mind
I ask you this...why are horse races still allowed to carry on?...essential service race day?
I wrote in an earlier post about what the Deputy said in that he would support the league starting in May. Whilst he is all for it, the Health Minister has bobbed up and questioned the feasibility and he has not been consulted. It is only fair that the Health Minister gives his opinion seeing that this virus is a massive health issue.

In the case of the Horse Racing industry as at 17 March 2020, except for Tasmania, racing is proceeding without crowds and with a range of protocols in place to help achieve this, whilst protecting the health and wellbeing of industry staff, participants and the wider community. So, based on this you might be right that the league games will happen in late May if the NRL and ARL heads get the green light from the Health Minister based on the precedence that the Horse Racing industry has set.

Both are high income earners and popular spectator sports (at this stage only on TV) and the government knows that income for these industries is essential - even though not essential services.

TruSaint

Referee

As much as I miss footy, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Latest posts