1. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

This week, Joshua Wells speaks with injured Canterbury forward Joe Stimson as he works his way toward an NRL return next season, and we have a big double spread of the Rugby League Project's 'Rugby League Scorigami!

EDITION 6 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by mickeylane, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

I think you are misreading my stance.

I am not saying there isn't an imbalance.

I am just saying that because there is one it doesn't render the actions of RL players as not being news-worthy.

Nor does it make the stupid actions of those thing unreported by other codes as not being news-wothy.

What it clearly show is a decided difference in the quality of journalists and journalism across the different codes.

I have long thought that RL suffers from dumb arse journalists being scandal hunters and rumour mungers with little ability to concentrate their efforts on informative comments on the game itself. Our coach escaping severe criticism and remaining in his job is testimony to that fact.

Not withstanding any of the above Mitchell, JAC & Cleary's actions were of a type that would / should attract media attention but the articles should have been more clinical instead of something akin to a soap opera which is very often how our reporters do it.

So the actions of players and their gross stupidity with posting on various social media outlets is the attractant and they have no-one else to blame than themselves for that but the quality of the reporting is pathetic and typical of the dumb f**kers that report and comment on RL.

Old Kogarah Boy 1 likes this.
  2. Willow

Willow Administrator

OT, it sounds like you agree with me.
    And that has been happening despite a multitude of reasons to criticise. The story for tabloids was there - a fan revolt in motion. Crowds dropping amidst terrible onfield results and wholesale criticism from supporters. And yet, the media ignored it for years and have only just started to ask questions.

3. Willow

Willow Administrator

Thanks @Timmah
    For the latest Rugby League headlines, visit http://leagueunlimited.com

Key points:
    • Seven year contract, agreement in principal by Friday
    • Average ~$330m/season
    • Heavy discount for 2020 due to COVID-enforced reduction
    • Channel 9 "forced back into negotiations with an improved offer" due to fierce public backlash over [Nine boss] Marks' comments about willingness to walk away.
    • Finer details still to be thrashed out (e.g. schedling)
    • Scope to adjust $$$ if expansion happens
    • Digital component & NRL website "still to be sorted"
    https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/df84265d3d1c900850f0903b485a298d

Timmah likes this.
  4. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

5. Willow

Willow Administrator

Still headless...
    [​IMG]

Sounds like they got a very light tap on the wrist.

6. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

Yeah, but they at least were named. ( in the article ).
    Light penalty, i think so.

The sixteen Crows players handed a suspended one-match ban - which will hang over them for the entire 2020 season - are Kyle Hartigan, William Hamill, Ayce Taylor, Ben Davis, Lachlan Sholl, Jordon Butts, Lachlan Gollant, Ronin O’Connor, Ben Keays, Fischer McAsey, Joshua Worrell, Billy Frampton, Tom Doedee, Elliott Himmelberg, Myles Poholke and Lachlan Murphy.

7. Willow

Willow Administrator

Yes, named... at last. And a one match suspended 'suspension'. They've learned their lesson.

8. giboz71

giboz71 First Grade

Are comparing this breach with Mitchell, Ado Carr and Cleary?

Very different in my opinion. The Crows players were breaching protocols while training. They weren’t riding trail bikes, shooting guns and making tik tok videos.

No surprise that the NRL stories attracted more news.

9. Willow

Willow Administrator

The NRL camping also out-billed the Lachie Hunter story. If you don't know what Lachie Hunter did, that's OK. He only got a brief mention on our national news service.

10. Dragon David

Dragon David Juniors

I'm just throwing this post in this Corona virus thread as it just came to me after reading some of the posts in the Alan Jones thread. Most probably this should go in that thread.

During the closure of George Street, Sydney for the work on the trams, many of the retailers complained to Jonesy how disruptive the work was for business and a great loss of income incurred as a result of the lengthy time it took and delays with the work proceeding.

Mr Jones more or less on a regular basis had discussions with someone who was the spokesperson representing the other retailers on all of the problems being encountered and wanting some compensation which the retailers had put to the Michael Baird and Gladys Berejiklian Government. I'm not too sure if any of the retailers did receive any compensation but Alan Jones did spend a lot of time on his morning program to help the retailers and I think attended some of their meetings to hear their grievances. He would then thrash it out with those Premiers.

The trams started rolling out I think in December 2019 and I would guess that the George Street trading became much better but wouldn't you know it, because of the Covid 19 pandemic and the lockdowns/self isolation restrictions coming into play, those retailers most probably would have been affected again. Poor bastards!

That's all I wanted to say!

11. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

I see...