What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

@GongPanther was wondering what he needs some in Sydney for as well as the one’s at his country property and he’s got a point. I can’t think of a legitimate reason he’d have for keeping any in the city, unless he is a member of shooting club.

The rules are strict. I reckon he probably used his country address as evidence to get a license as it’s much easier to get one for hunting but you need your own property or permission to hunt on someone’s property..

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/firearms/licences#GR

If they're registered to him, and he has a permit, and he has them locked up, and he has done everything within the law to purchase, possess and keep these rifles - up until this incident, what business is it of yours?

And because of this incident, the Police are taking the appropriate actions, and it would appear Latrell has had his licence suspended and is aiding the authorities in handing in his legally owned rifles.

Last Week

Bench
If they're registered to him, and he has a permit, and he has them locked up, and he has done everything within the law to purchase, possess and keep these rifles - up until this incident, what business is it of yours?

And because of this incident, the Police are taking the appropriate actions, and it would appear Latrell has had his licence suspended and is aiding the authorities in handing in his legally owned rifles.

He doesn't have a choice. His licence has been suspended. He either surrenders them or the cops take them.

moffla

Bench
I think the punishments make sense.

If it comes to light that a large bunch of NRL players have broken these isolation rules it's going to be hard to hit them with serve penalties i.e long suspensions.

But at this stage a May 28 start appears to be in a bit of trouble anyway. It's proven players can not be trusted

Chimp

Bench
maybe the nrl is worried there's going to suddenly be ten's of photos released of players failing to social distance so suspending them will leave club's without enough players and the comp an even bigger mockery
I think this is it - there is a very real risk there will be plenty of these found as the scumbag journos will have their apprentices scouring social media for more examples, so the punishment can’t be too harsh.
What I would expect is that the NRL have issued the clubs with an update that anyone found breaking the rules from this day forward will be sat out for a significant period. That way, any older photos from before today get the same punishment as these 4, any future breaches get the new, more serious punishment.
These idiots don’t deserve to make such a great living from such a great career.
Latrell and JAC pulling a doubled up race and mental health card excuse should see them being given a harsher penalty - that type of rubbish actually creates more race hate as it just invites people to have a pop at them.

no name

Referee
Everyone is dealing with the same shit. Plenty are dealing with that on top of being unemployed with no prospect of being re employed any time soon. Suck it up buttercups.
Yeah, nah.
Mental health isn’t a level playing field from the start.
Add in all the things that have happened over the past couple of months and it plays on people differently.
Some people deal with what others see as immense trauma and take it all in their stride, others suffer terribly when things that others see as minor go wrong.
‘Suck it up’ doesn’t work when talking about mental health.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Don't see how Gus is being hypocritical. He said it in that very tweet that it should be a blanket penalty.

OK, I didn't see the yes to the year-long ban thing. So fair enough. I based that on him saying there was a difference between Mitchell/Addo-Carr etc and Cleary (in terms of pre-planning) but

Oh well, the league is apparently now getting underway in 4 weeks time and these guys won't miss a match. Pretty lucky escape for what was f**king stupidity on all their behalf's.

I would just like to add that I am proud of Nathan regardless.

franklin2323

Immortal
Everyone is dealing with the same shit. Plenty are dealing with that on top of being unemployed with no prospect of being re employed any time soon. Suck it up buttercups.

And many examples of people breaking the rules too. The beaches being closed are perfect examples

From the NRL's website (this article has some concrete details) -

NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020
Author: Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp:Tue 28 Apr 2020, 05:52 PM

The NRL Telstra Premiership will recommence as a 20-round competition on May 28 with the grand final to be played on October 25.

Australian Rugby League Commission Chair Peter V’landys confirmed the details late on Tuesday afternoon after extensive consultation with broadcast partners, clubs, and key stakeholders over the past month.

The ARLC announced:

• The first two rounds of the competition will be counted and the current competition ladder remains in place when games resume;
  • The competition draw will be determined in the coming weeks, including the timing of State of Origin;
  • Strict protocols, known as the Project Apollo protocols, will be introduced for players, club officials and staff, and will be tougher than the current public health guidelines;
  • Players will face sanctions if they breach protocols.
"Today is a landmark day for rugby league in 2020," V'landys said.

"This is a great outcome for our players, fans, partners and stakeholders and I'm extremely appreciative for the cooperation and support from Hugh Marks and Patrick Delany.

"Both have always acted in good spirit and have demonstrated how partners work together."

The NRL’s working group, Project Apollo, will meet on Wednesday to continue preparations to resume the season, including stringent biosecurity measures set to be put in place when training commences for all clubs on May 4.

The NRL continues to work with the federal and state governments for player travel between borders, while the Warriors are set to arrive in Australia on Sunday and relocate to Tamworth where they'll undergo a strict 14-day isolation period.

"Our players will be safer under our protocols than they would be as regular members of the community," V'landys said.

"It's safer now to play then it was in round two when we were playing. The daily infection rate in NSW was 25.79 per cent when the last game was played.

"It has been now less than one per cent in NSW for the last 18 days and is continuing to drop. There has also been a significant improvement in the recovery rate, being 75 per cent in NSW and 83 per cent in Australia."

Under the 20-round format, teams will play five opposition clubs twice in the revamped competition before a normal finals series takes place.

V'landys confirmed last week that it was inevitable State of Origin would be shifted to a three-week event in November for the first time in four decades.

Details around the grounds in use are also set to be confirmed but whether fans are able to attend matches later in the season will be known as the weeks go if restrictions are eased.