What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Dead hard rockers week

John Fogerty calls him the greatest rock n roll singer ever.
I reckon growing up in the fifties it’d be hard to disagree.
He wasn't scared to show his "flamboyance " in the 50's either. That would've taken a heap of guts.
Look at the two who copied his fashion sense, Hendrix and Prince. Both genius' in their own right.

carcharias

Immortal
He wasn't scared to show his "flamboyance " in the 50's either. That would've taken a heap of guts.
Look at the two who copied his fashion sense, Hendrix and Prince. Both genius' in their own right.

hendrix played in his band for a while.
Got the sack for stealing the limelight a bit by playing his guitar behind his head.
Ha

Quigs

Immortal
Sheeze not the best news to hear. 87's not a bad innings for an old rocker like Little Richard. He did some fantastic stuff. Did a great version of Rock Island Line in the tribute to Woody Guthrie
"Well I may be right and I might be wrong"
"But your gonna miss me when I'm gone"

taipan

Referee
Loved his "Long Tall Sally she got everything uncle John needs".
AAh the days of long sideburns, highbodgie haircuts, peg trousers and pianos getting the crap belted out of them.Them's the days of R & R bruvver.

Quigs

Immortal
You can just imagine what it was like living in The Deep Christian "WHITE" south when Little Richard burst upon the scene.

Long Tall Sally, Tutti Fruitti ( I want a rootie).

They'd be a reachin for their winchesters and that there hangin' rope.

2 of my favourite Little Richard moments were his appearance in Down and Out in Beverly Hills as Richard Dreyfus' neighbour and his performances in the late 50s movie, The Girl Can't Help it

Stake Removed

First Grade
Sheeze not the best news to hear. 87's not a bad innings for an old rocker like Little Richard. He did some fantastic stuff. Did a great version of Rock Island Line in the tribute to Woody Guthrie
"Well I may be right and I might be wrong"
"But your gonna miss me when I'm gone"

87 great age for Little Richard, he probably put his body through more like 150 years

A rock star of the trade union movement, Jack Mundey, credit him for The Rocks area not being bulldozed and turned into a cluster of office buildings.

Veteran Sydney unionist and environmentalist Jack Mundey has died aged 90.

Mr Mundey rose to prominence in the 1970s for his leadership of the Builders Labourers Federation (BLF), which was famous for its green bans and credited with stopping several developments at The Rocks.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-11/jack-mundey-dies-age-90/12233542

Quigs

Immortal
Bummer, Jacks gone.

I remember laughing at him and the BLF back when they were protesting and blockading areas around the harbour.

I've often looked back on those days and mentioned them (Jack and his green bans) many times whilst arguing about climate change and what a bit of forward thinking can do to a place or a cause.

Everytime I see aerial shots of the harbour and the parks and how green and beautiful it is I tip my hat to Jack Mundey.

He was oh so right at the time and there were a mile of people, including moi, who were proved wrong.

Its just a shame that so many still can't see it.

RIP Jack and thanks mate.

Quigs, I thought the Green bans were much to do with protecting our architecture and white folk heritage, but the cause would have been doing construction and demolition workers out of some actual work at the time. Also a lot of the Rocks and Woolloomooloo had a lot of public housing back in those days which the BLF wanted protected which Gladys recently sold off. Anyway its a good job they did it to provide us with a bit of history and a major tourist attraction which has made its own economic contribution.