What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 v Warriors

Old Timer

Coach
OT, I understand the point you make but to me it is a step forward not to select players just because they have recently been signed which has happened regularly under Mary. To my mind, the selections Rounds 1-3 represent an improvement from past seasons, even though we can make out a case for some of the players omitted. Having said that I am giving credit to Flanagan not Mary for what I am judging an improvement.

I agree on Graham but perhaps his minutes will be limited. I would rubbish Aitken's selection if sure he was going to spend time in the centres. But I am hoping he may finally be given the chance to play some minutes in the backrow where he could be an asset rather than the opposition's favourite target in the backline.

So for me with Lomax in the centres and Kerr getting a run I am more positive than I thought I would be.
Hi DS 2,
Haven't seen you around for a while and always enjoy posting with you.

Mc Fookknuckle finally saw some of the errors of his way which is a very good thing indeed albeit that all he really did was select Lomax in the centres and failed to pick either Lafai or Aitken in the centres to start the game.

I would have still liked to have seen Lomax in the 1 jumper for at least 6 games to actually see what he has got rather than dismiss him after 1 or so games. I have read all the arguments for and against but I am a simple guy in that seeing is believing and seeing isn't 1 or 2 games if you are fair dinkum.

The Graham selection at 13 just typifies the muddled thinking of the coach. If he is selected in the run on side one has to suspect he will start and finish the game which means 2 interchanges for old tired legs and a bloke that has failed to bust the line in 2 years. The lock position has been a merry go round for an entire season and continues to do so this year which is just ludicrous.

Is is plainly obvious that out of the front row stocks that Vaughan and K Sims will be getting rested around the 30 minute mark or so and if Graham isn't going to play long minutes he will be getting rested around that time as well (unless he is going to play 50 straight and be interchanged once only).

So if I am correct then we will have Kerr, Lawrie & Fuimaono all on the paddock at the one time which does nothing to install me with confidence as we have 2 yet to be fully proven players playing in the middle along side a guy who is more noted for attack / impact than defence. Yes he can hit hard but can he tie up the middle defensively when the opposition are putting on some decent interchange game breaking style players?

Which leads me to Aitken because if he is there to be tested in the back row that means he might also be on the paddock with Kerr & Co which would be major alarm bells for me. Aitken has no idea about positioning in defence and if he is playing back row then I expect him to be running in to try and cut off moves even more than he does as a centre. Ball playing forwards will be attracted to him like flies to shit.

Mc Innes is coming back from a recurrence of a major leg injury so to have no cover for him is just mind boggling. Let's play him long minutes as we did in the 9's and see if he can hold up FMD do we never learn anything.

Mc Fookknuckle was so close to doing something that was very good but hedged his bets and whilst it appear he did something he did very little and has potentially weakened the side further.

Merrin & Luke are not my favourites by any stretch but their selection this week (barring injury) would have made better sense and given better balance but somehow Mc Fookknuckle believes that old tired legs Jimmy Graham & I don't have a footy brain Aitken are better players and provide better balance.

Even if it comes off against the depleted Warriors I would fully expect the side as picked to get thumped by any top 4 team and easily put away by a top 8 contender.

My last thought is how many errors can Zac make before Aitken displaces him in the team?

No doubt Zac will make a couple but Aitken has made how many and still lurks in the shadows.

Last edited:

SnowDragon

Juniors
If Aitken is there to be used in the middle with tiring forwards I am actually liking it! (sorry all, I know I am almost alone here). It also gives some backup should an outside back get hurt. I definitely like it more than having a duty or sailor on the bench, and actually more than a hooker.

Lomax into the centres is a good move.

I like the team overall tbh. I would have had Graham coming form the bench, and had merin at 13. but with everyone fit, it is hard to find place for everyone. Players like Ford and Tyrell should be used wisely and developed as they can be key moving forward. Host needs to step up if given a chance to show he should be there.

SBD82

Coach
I just don't get how people think that Aitken who is a proven defensive liability at centre, can suddenly be a solid option in the back row just one spot closer to the ruck?

Never mind the fact that he has never played there!
The worst part is that he should be in that position, because he should have been trained for the past couple of years to be the backrowet who can cover centre.

But because of a complete lack of foresight, he’s thrown in without even playing the position in ressies.

On a side note, who do you think Mary has in mind to replace Fitz?

Dragsters

First Grade
The worst part is that he should be in that position, because he should have been trained for the past couple of years to be the backrowet who can cover centre.

But because of a complete lack of foresight, he’s thrown in without even playing the position in ressies.

On a side note, who do you think Mary has in mind to replace Fitz?

I have no idea, but I would love it to be David Fifita if not then John Bateman, proper backrowers...

hazzbeen

Bench
If Aitken is there to be used in the middle with tiring forwards I am actually liking it! (sorry all, I know I am almost alone here). It also gives some backup should an outside back get hurt. I definitely like it more than having a duty or sailor on the bench, and actually more than a hooker.

Lomax into the centres is a good move.

I like the team overall tbh. I would have had Graham coming form the bench, and had merin at 13. but with everyone fit, it is hard to find place for everyone. Players like Ford and Tyrell should be used wisely and developed as they can be key moving forward. Host needs to step up if given a chance to show he should be there.
Mate I brought this up last year about moving Aiken to the backrow or lock that is assuming Mary wants him in the team somewhere ... He wouldnt be playing if I had a choice but if he has to be there backrow or lock might suit better .... doesnt need to read much in defence ,more head on tackles , he cant pass as is, so all he has to do is tuck the ball under his wing and run straight and hard ..... for me he shouldnt be there at all ....

Crush

Coach
Mate I brought this up last year about moving Aiken to the backrow or lock that is assuming Mary wants him in the team somewhere ... He wouldnt be playing if I had a choice but if he has to be there backrow or lock might suit better .... doesnt need to read much in defence ,more head on tackles , he cant pass as is, so all he has to do is tuck the ball under his wing and run straight and hard ..... for me he shouldnt be there at all ....
Can't wait for you to be back on the bus Hazz. It'll happen.