What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Xerrigate

Generalzod

Immortal
42058684_2129426567311933_5133683488746110976_n.jpg
Robbie O’Davis anyone lol

T-Boon

Coach
I don’t care what card they use in the kids defence, it’s pretty simple, it’s a four year ban.
Anything short of that would be wrong. They get so much information given to them, about what they can and can’t take and what will happen if they defy the rules. Even if they get their drink spiked, without evidence to prove it, they are guilty.

Personally I would ban them for life, it’s a dog act to cheat, but I guess everyone deserves a second chance after serving the FULL sentence

This is too inconsistent with how we treat other cheating in the game. Namely salary cap cheating which has a far worse impact on the whole of the game.

T-Boon

Coach
You already said that

No, it is a different thing to what I said earlier. I am making the comparison to a worse type of cheating salary cap cheating. We need to talk about how that is not treated the way it should be.
There are very senior players and coaches involved in the game now that should have been wiped out for several years.

betcats

Referee
There is always someone willing to make excuses for athletes, its sad IMO.
Well I am trying to make an important but unpopular point.

It an irrelevant point, Xerri will get and deserve four years.

I am sure lots of people would agree with harsher penalties for clubs that cheat the cap but it has no bearing on what Xerri is facing, it just makes you seem petulant.

T-Boon

Coach
It an irrelevant point, Xerri will get and deserve four years.

I am sure lots of people would agree with harsher penalties for clubs that cheat the cap but it has no bearing on what Xerri is facing, it just makes you seem petulant.

I bet he gets 2 years. That's within the range of fairness. 4 is ludicrous.

super_coach

First Grade
This is too inconsistent with how we treat other cheating in the game. Namely salary cap cheating which has a far worse impact on the whole of the game.

The law is the law weather its right or wrong. It’s black and white, you take a banned substance and it is detected you get a four year ban and hopefully it’s out of the NRLs hands.
The reason things like the salary cap are such a mess is because the NRL are the ones who have been controlling it...or should I say not controlling it

big hit!

Bench
What if the drug use has been going longer than the October 2019 shoulder surgery?

NRL360 seemed to surmise that the drug use was in line with the surgery and he's young and etc, but it could have been going on prior to that. Right back to juniors.

How often do these guys actually get tested?

under 18s and below (Ball & Mattys) don't get tested. I think under 20s (Flegg) do.

Xerri played SG ball as a junior. went straight up to flegg in his senior SG ball year so was underage in the 20s comp. killed it there and went straight to NRL in the same year I think.

Dylan Brown at Parra did the same.

Souths have a kid - Joseph Suaali - FB / OB. From all reports will be better than both of them. By-passed SG Ball completely this season and may have played Flegg as a 17 yo if NSWRL didn't cancel comps due to COVID. Anyone you speak too who knows anything about juniors coming through reckon he'll play NRL as soon as he turns 18. Student at Kings School so Union are trying to get their mitts into him too.

Last edited:

seanoff

Juniors
He sounds like he’s taken a shortcut back after his surgery. Lost a lot of condition apparently then got it back quickly.

happened before in Australia. Will happen again.

typicalfan

Coach
Performance enhancing drugs are far worse than Salary Cap issues.

Performance enhancing is cheating as well as a serious welfare issue and puts question marks on the safety of the sport.

Usain Bolt

Bench
There’s a few Xerri truthers on Facebook, apparently the ASADA CEO used to work for the Raiders and has ties to Nick Politis and Paul White and the sprint coach was jailed for drugs :D

Imagine finally getting your chance at a life long dream and allegedly doing this in the same year.

I remember seeing a video of him when he found out he was set to make his debut and he couldn't contain his emotion. Just 8 months later and he's gone and ruined it.

If true, there might be questions over his pre-NRL years..maybe he did everything he could to make the big time?

Mate good point, I remember the footage too, I couldn't have been happier for him and thought what the Sharks did there was brilliant. Also thought it's the kind of thing we should see more of (at least I thought so) when a player makes his debut for any club. Can't imagine how that feels for a young kid.

Yet now, here we are..

For many people when something like this occurs (ie cheating, criminal act, "contrary conduct" etc), the immediate re-action is to call for their heads. Bans for life, etc. Loads of sporting names over the years here. Eg;

Smith, Warner, Bancroft, Packer, Earl, Carney, Lodge, Tandy...

And now Xerri.

I take a different view. They've all royally stuffed up in whatever way, and pay the penalty through the law, whatever the governing body of their sport imposes, or in the case of drugs - WADA/ASADA, and also are forever scrutinised by the sporting public for their actions. I'd never call for a life-ban unless of something absolutely extreme.

Whatever led Xerri to end up in this position I don't know. But what I do know is that he is human. Like all the others above who have copped their penalties, and proved their worthiness to their sports to be allowed to return. None have trangressed since. Sadly though for Ryan Tandy, he took his own life.

I hope Xerri takes whatever enforceable ban he gets on the chin, works hard, and makes it back into the NRL some day.