What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 R3 Sat - Storm 6-22 Raiders @ AAMI

Round 3: Storm v Raiders

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lebbo73

Bench
based on what?
Canberra have looked better playing away than at home
The travel every week will take its toll on the Raiders. Every home game is in Sydney. What the f**k for? Instead of playing at home they’ll be on a bus every 2nd week to Sydney.

nick87

Coach
It was his 200th game. End of discussion

Old Buzz Killington,...jesus
We're good. We won the game, dominated it actually, 2 points in FA will or wont matter one iota if it does it'll matter on games later in the season.

Apey

Staff member
Lol Melbourne are so shit when smith can’t stop the game whenever he likes to chat with the ref.
Yeah im not convinced this had much to do with it. See how they go next week I guess. Easily the best defensive performance of the year so far and I think Storm would have beaten most other teams tonight.

Lol Melbourne are so shit when smith can’t stop the game whenever he likes to chat with the ref.
Not being able to control the ruck is what did them in. They don't have the cattle to beat most teams through skill now that Cronk, Inglis, Slater and Folau aren't there. Many of the Storm players wouldn't get a go at most other clubs and were picked up by Bellamy as fringe first-graders. Few of them have gone on to succeed when they left the Storm.

Players are successful at Melbourne because Bellamy's game plan is simple but effective, albeit illegal in any era bar 06-19. Bellamy is the best at teaching new recruits how to get 3 players in a tackle, hold the player up and slowly wrestle him to the ground so they can reset their defensive line, get enough oxygen in their lungs and have enough time to read whatever the opposition throw at them, then race up out of the defensive line so there's no room or time for the halves and dummy half to do anything. Defenders aren't forced to defend out of position to cover a big tiring forward or two who made a cover tackle but couldn't get back into the line because of a quick play the ball, as there aren't any under this system. Lack of fatigue keeps them one step ahead of their opponents.

Now that the game's played at a faster speed, players are making more misreads in defense and falling off tackles. There are some big boys in this Storm forward pack that won't handle a fast-paced game all that well. A quick game puts more emphasis on ad-lib football. Other than Munster, Addo-Carr and the full-back, I don't see a lot of ad-lib footballers in this Storm side. Vunivalu can bust a tackle, but he's going at the end of the year. Smith can break a game open, but he's old and slowing down.

nick87

Coach
Yeah im not convinced this had much to do with it. See how they go next week I guess. Easily the best defensive performance of the year so far and I think Storm would have beaten most other teams tonight.

1000%
got quite annoyed in the post game to hear all the breakdown of how Melbourne looked off or what’s wrong with them

nothing is wrong with them and they played damn good footy. They play like that next week and they’re putting 20-30 points up on someone. They were just completely outplayed by the raiders who are a really really good footy team

Tommy Smith

Referee
The Storm completed only 68% of their sets. With ball in hand in attack that's the worst I've seen them play for a long time.

The Raiders are clearly a very good team. They're frighteningly complete across the park, with Williams/Scott tighening the right edge D and Williams also giving them an attacking threat at halfback.

But I agree with Ricky himself who said they won't face a Storm side that poor again.

The rematch will be very interesting.

skeepe

Immortal
The Storm completed only 68% of their sets. With ball in hand in attack that's the worst I've seen them play for a long time.

The Raiders are clearly a very good team. They're frighteningly complete across the park, with Williams/Scott tighening the right edge D and Williams also giving them an attacking threat at halfback.

But I agree with Ricky himself who said they won't face a Storm side that poor again.

I think both teams have a lot of improving to do. Our defence was great, our attack though I thought was pretty disappointing.

Dumb shit like kicking on the second tackle straight to the fullback after a 40/20 just won’t cut it most weeks. We were a little lucky the Storm decided to do similarly stupid shit like let NAS play halfback.

The desire and effort in defence bodes well for the rest of the season, but I think we can play a lot better overall

nick87

Coach

The only thing I’ll say is looking at the completion rate and saying the storm played poorly isn’t quite fair imo

it’s not like they had an inordinate amount of stone cold drops, a lot of those errors were forced by the raiders defence either through direct, hard contact or toward the end, because their defence frustrated the storm so much that they were forced to try to play unconventionally and errors came off that

I don’t think there many teams capable of doing that to the storm, and I think their play had a lot more to do with how good the raiders were than how bad the storm were
The storm with that sort of ball and field position would have put most teams away comfortably last night

Greenfields

Juniors
it’s not like they had an inordinate amount of stone cold drops, a lot of those errors were forced by the raiders defence either through direct, hard contact or toward the end, because their defence frustrated the storm so much that they were forced to try to play unconventionally and errors came off that
Pretty much this. The errors came thick and fast for Melbourne in the last 20 trying to claw back the 2 try deficit. Worth noting too that we only had 45% possession so if any team should have been fatigued it was us.

We've been pretty lucky though, we've beat Melbourne in Melbourne 3 times in a row now and each time the Storm have apparently had a rare off night.

Sarcasm aside, the Storm will bounce back. While they had a lot of stock in the wrestle they'll adjust and they've got some players that can really do some damage with the new rules. I think Papenhuyzen will have a big year.

Last edited:

Greenfields

Juniors
Those gruelling 3 hour trips on luxury coaches are bound to be physically and psychologically devastating.
We have chartered flights...

2mD6WW6.jpg

BadnMean

Juniors
George Williams, all class. What a find eh ? Well, hardly.

180 games for Wigan (averages a try every 3) including 4 grand finals plus 10 caps for England as well as being 2015 SL Young Player of Year. At 25, coming to his peak.

Nah Wayne Bennet reckons Jackson Hastings is a better bet. Lol & having Bennet in charge of a team in this day & age.