What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17th TEAM

Perth Red

Post Whore
Matty Johns just said he is for a 2nd Brisbane team, a south Pacific team but no Perth team.

and?
The time to bring perth in will be when the game is mature enough, and we’ll run enough, to realise a genuine national expansion strategy. We are a very very long way from that. At the moment it is still so small that it needs pokie clubs to make a club viable. It doesn’t have the national presence, fanbase or corporate support to launch clubs in new territories without major risk.

ash the bash

Juniors
Had some spare time as you do these days...

Went onto the Easts Tigers site and view'd their "Strategic Plan"

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 16.43.53.png

Point 5. NRL licence and possible joint venture with existing ISC team.
Who would be the most likely ? Besides an investment property in Brisbane I don't know too much about the place or culture. I doubt Redcliffe would consider a joint venture who would more likely prefer to go it alone.

Most likely I can think of would be W Manly, both are south of the river. Arguably both are some of the well supported ISC clubs. Whether there rivalry would be too strong to combine for the greater good, I don't know.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Logan could have a team of its own and should have one before Perth. There are at least 14 rugby league clubs in Logan and they're growing all the time. I think that's as many as there are in all of Brisbane. Maybe more. It take ages to get to Lang Park from Logan.

The only downside to Logan is the council is corrupt and sucks up to fumbleball, even though there are only 2 lousy clubs in the whole city. The council ran the Scorpions into the ground by forcing them to pay a massiely expensive 15 year lease that was bigger than every other club in the city combined to play at a ground they didn't want to be based at. Then they wound the club up in 2002 and gave their ground to the Brisbane Strikers soccer club.

The Fitzroy Bears fumbleball club collects $5,000,000 a year from the pokies at the Lions@Springwood club they built in Logan a decade ago. The idiot Donkeys could be making that money and them some by having their own Leagues here, but the morons couldn't be bothered. Putting another team in north-West Brisbane, which is where Lang Park is, will lead to Logan being ignored for everything but the talented juniors it produces. The next team has to be on the southside of town and play at Nathan.
Yeah lets give every suburb/city centre in Brisbane a club, because that worked out great for Sydney didn't it...

BTW, did you know that the Raiders own a club in Logan and were building a strong presence their until the NSWRL killed it.

The Great Dane

First Grade

View attachment 38636

Who would be the most likely ? Besides an investment property in Brisbane I don't know too much about the place or culture. I doubt Redcliffe would consider a joint venture who would more likely prefer to go it alone.

Most likely I can think of would be W Manly, both are south of the river. Arguably both are some of the well supported ISC clubs. Whether there rivalry would be too strong to combine for the greater good, I don't know.
I bet that the Tigers idea of a joint venture would see them effectively have full control of the NRL club, while the partner just puts in money and their juniors feed into the NRL club.

I also think that any Q Cup teams that are seriously interested in a presence in the NRL would be inclined to have their own license.

So considering that, I highly doubt that any of the Qld Cup teams would take them up on the offer, and that is probably for the best because otherwise you'd probably end up with a situation similar to the mergers in Sydney, which would be less than ideal.

Yeah lets give every suburb/city centre in Brisbane a club, because that worked out great for Sydney didn't it...

BTW, did you know that the Raiders own a club in Logan and were building a strong presence their until the NSWRL killed it.
Logan is not a suburb of Brisbane. It's a city with a population of 326,615 and over 60 suburbs. Canberra isn't much bigger, at just 395,790. Put a team in Logan and you'll have local juniors playing for a local team who will provide local derbies for the Broncos and Titans. Raiders offer none of that. They raided the BRL in the 80s, have raided Logan for the last 15 years and are now raiding the north of England for talent because they cannot produce much of their own.

Canberra never owned a club in Logan. The Souths Logan Magpies are NOT a Logan club, they're based at West End and are just a rebranded Southern Suburbs Magpies. The only reason they put the Logan in their name is because they want all of the juniors that come out of this area as their old stomping grounds doesn't producemuch these days. Subdistricts clubs of the Magpies are struggling. Souths Graceville had to merge with the Normanby Hounds. Souths Woodridge went bust in 1982.

and?
The time to bring perth in will be when the game is mature enough, and we’ll run enough, to realise a genuine national expansion strategy. We are a very very long way from that. At the moment it is still so small that it needs pokie clubs to make a club viable. It doesn’t have the national presence, fanbase or corporate support to launch clubs in new territories without major risk.
I found his comment amusing. I think Perth should have a team, just not at the expense of Brisbane. There is real potential for the game in Perth, but we need to get the heartland areas sorted first.

What are the odds a Perth team would average under 10,000 to its games?

View attachment 38636

View attachment 38636

I made a post about the benefits of Easts merging with Wynnum Manly in another thread.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/...ving-into-the-nrl.479858/page-2#post-14105922

ecsorange-png.38638

ecsorange-png.38637

Attachments

• ECSOrange.png
    ECSOrange.png
    227.9 KB · Views: 38
  • ECSOrange.png
    ECSOrange.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Logan is not a suburb of Brisbane. It's a city with a population of 326,615 and over 60 suburbs. Canberra isn't much bigger, at just 395,790. Put a team in Logan and you'll have local juniors playing for a local team who will provide local derbies for the Broncos and Titans. Raiders offer none of that. They raided the BRL in the 80s, have raided Logan for the last 15 years and are now raiding the north of England for talent because they cannot produce much of their own.

Canberra never owned a club in Logan. The Souths Logan Magpies are NOT a Logan club, they're based at West End and are just a rebranded Southern Suburbs Magpies. The only reason they put the Logan in their name is because they want all of the juniors that come out of this area as their old stomping grounds doesn't producemuch these days. Subdistricts clubs of the Magpies are struggling. Souths Graceville had to merge with the Normanby Hounds. Souths Woodridge went bust in 1982.
Saying Logan isn't in Brisbane is like saying Penrith isn't in Sydney, or Buda and Pest are two separate cities. At one point that may have been true, but now for all intents and purposes they're contiguous metropolitan areas, and if the bigger (i.e. Brisbane) didn't exist then the smaller (i.e. Logan) wouldn't exist as it does.

BTW, as of last year Canberra's population was 410,199 and Queanbeyan's 61,100, making a total of somewhere around 471,299.

Also the Raiders Group do own the Logan Rec Club, they continue to support local RL in Logan through it, and were building a stronger connection between Souths, Logan, and Canberra, before it was scuttled by the NSWRL. They also don't have any trouble producing juniors, only keeping them, and by any reasonable measure those juniors "raided" (lol) from Logan were their juniors as well.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I found his comment amusing. I think Perth should have a team, just not at the expense of Brisbane. There is real potential for the game in Perth, but we need to get the heartland areas sorted first.

It shouldn't be either/or, we should be doing both.

Perth Red

Post Whore

about the same as any team in the nrl except maybe broncos and knights! There was at least 20 games under 10k last season. There has only been one game under 10k in perth in 15 years and that was due to a massive storm hitting on game day.
Majority of games in nrl are 13k or less, I dont see any reason why perth wouldnt match that and grow if club is well run.

Last edited:
Saying Logan isn't in Brisbane is like saying Penrith isn't in Sydney, or Buda and Pest are two separate cities. At one point that may have been true, but now for all intents and purposes they're contiguous metropolitan areas, and if the bigger (i.e. Brisbane) didn't exist then the smaller (i.e. Logan) wouldn't exist as it does.

Brisbane is different to the other capitals. It merged all of its smaller councils into the Brisbane City Council back in the early 20th century. Cities like Logan and Gold Coast formed later on as separate entities with no links to Brisbane. The buses here are run by the local councils. If you live in Logan and want to get to Lang Park by bus then you'll have to get a lift into Brisbane, as the BCC and Queensland Government only offer free buses to people from Brisbane. I have to drive to Eight Mile Plains to get the bus, and I live close by in the northern suburbs of Logan. People who live in the southern suburbs would have a much harder time getting there. It's another reason for people in Logan to not support the Donkeys.

BTW, as of last year Canberra's population was 410,199 and Queanbeyan's 61,100, making a total of somewhere around 471,299.

Also the Raiders Group do own the Logan Rec Club, they continue to support local RL in Logan through it, and were building a stronger connection between Souths, Logan, and Canberra, before it was scuttled by the NSWRL. They also don't have any trouble producing juniors, only keeping them, and by any reasonable measure those juniors "raided" (lol) from Logan were their juniors as well.

I had no idea about the Logan Rec Club. When did they buy that?

David Gallop was the main instigator. The Queensland Cup was the stronger competition at the time. Sydney NRL clubs affiliated themselves with Queensland Cup clubs. Instead of addressing the problems that made Sydney clubs affiliate themselves with Queensland Cup teams, Gallop took the easy option of banning dual registration. The Queensland Cup has never been the same as there's just the 3 Queensland NRL teams and 1 from Melbourne who are affiliated with it.

My point about those juniors is they were born and bred in Logan and would prefer to stay here, not live in Canberra. Milford left the joint as quickly as possible once the Donkeys came knocking.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder if Vlandys is hoping bringing in another Brisbane team brings about the demise of the Titans, taking the comp back to an even 16?
17 clubs doesn’t make sense and having another club fighting for south Queensland corporate support is going to do the Titans no favours what so ever.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Brisbane is different to the other capitals. It merged all of its smaller councils into the Brisbane City Council back in the early 20th century. Cities like Logan and Gold Coast formed later on as separate entities with no links to Brisbane. The buses here are run by the local councils. If you live in Logan and want to get to Lang Park by bus then you'll have to get a lift into Brisbane, as the BCC and Queensland Government only offer free buses to people from Brisbane. I have to drive to Eight Mile Plains to get the bus, and I live close by in the northern suburbs of Logan. People who live in the southern suburbs would have a much harder time getting there. It's another reason for people in Logan to not support the Donkeys.
None of this comes even close to addressing the point I was making.
I had no idea about the Logan Rec Club. When did they buy that?
They bought it ages ago, but it turns out that the Raiders sold the last of their shares in it late last year.

Guess they figured there was no point in continuing since it wasn't a massive money spinner and their connections with the Magpies and Logan were long buried.

Still own a club in Toowoomba though.

David Gallop was the main instigator. The Queensland Cup was the stronger competition at the time. Sydney NRL clubs affiliated themselves with Queensland Cup clubs. Instead of addressing the problems that made Sydney clubs affiliate themselves with Queensland Cup teams, Gallop took the easy option of banning dual registration. The Queensland Cup has never been the same as there's just the 3 Queensland NRL teams and 1 from Melbourne who are affiliated with it.

It wasn't Gallop it was the NSWRL, I forget who was in charge at the time.

Gallop decided not to try to intervene, but back in those days it really wasn't his place to intervene.
My point about those juniors is they were born and bred in Logan and would prefer to stay here, not live in Canberra. Milford left the joint as quickly as possible once the Donkeys came knocking.
You say that, but all the evidence (including Milford) suggests that most players will go where the most money is on offer.

Besides Papalii is still here, and from memory most of the others were pushed out before they jumped.

about the same as any team in the nrl except maybe broncos and knights! There was at least 20 games under 10k last season. There has only been one game under 10k in perth in 15 years and that was due to a massive storm hitting on game day.
Majority of games in nrl are 13k or less, I dont see any reason why perth wouldnt match that and grow if club is well run.
Perth does produce juniors. It's more deserving of a team than Melbourne. I hope it gets a team some time soon. The more teams the better.

I wonder if Vlandys is hoping bringing in another Brisbane team brings about the demise of the Titans, taking the comp back to an even 16?
17 clubs doesn’t make sense and having another club fighting for south Queensland corporate support is going to do the Titans no favours what so ever.
I'd get rid of the Titans altogether and bring in a club that represents the bayside suburbs of Brisbane, Redland, Gold Coast and Logan. There's too much apathy on the Gold Coast to have a team there that only represents them. Better to bring in an old BRL club that can connect with the area. Wynnun Manly Seagulls are strong and represent the bayside/Redland. Link them up with Tweed Heads and they can become the East Coast Seagulls. If they want to keep it strictly Queensland then Easts and Wynnum would be a good fit. 6 games can be played on the Gold Coast, 6 games at Lang Park. That way rugby league isn't lost to Gold Coast/northern NSW and Brisbane isn't oversaturated.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Losing the Titans in anyway would not only hurt the NRL way more than they benefit from it, but it'd be a PR disaster that'd hand the AFL the best piece of propaganda they've ever got.

Besides, there's no reason that the Titans couldn't be successful, except that they (and the GC clubs in general) have been chronically poorly managed.

Losing the Titans in anyway would not only hurt the NRL way more than they benefit from it, but it'd be a PR disaster that'd hand the AFL the best piece of propaganda they've ever got.

Besides, there's no reason that the Titans couldn't be successful, except that they (and the GC clubs in general) have been chronically poorly managed.
Gold Coasters have had years to get behind their team. If they haven't done it by now then they're never going to. There's just too much to do down that way. It would be better to shift them to Logan as there's less to do entertainment wise. In Logan there are lots of parklands for families to pass and kick a ball around, so that's what people do. No beaches or big fancy tourist attractions is good for a rugby league team as it means there's less entertainment options for the locals. Never put a team in a tourist city.

mongoose

Coach

Canberra don't produce much talent? lol we won the inaugural under 20s comp with local talent, beating the Broncos in the final. We also made the final a few times. Just because we have some players from England doesn't mean we don't produce our own local talent. By local I mean Canberra and southern NSW/Riverina area.