What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Clune

kit66

Bench
Good to see Clune get a run, I expect good things from him ( despite McGregor's usual coaching fails ) but I would have kept Norman in the six and given Hunt a run at hooker. Hunt played quite well in that position for the Maroons when he came forward out of dummy half before passing and having the occasional run himself. He plays a similar game at 9 to Cam Smith. McInnes can play 2nd row - could even replace Frizell next year and rotate with Ford.
Everyone get's on Dufty's back but you can't blame him for problems created by our crap coach.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
What was the point of having him at 7? It looked pretty clear he was told to step aside for Hunt.
He wasn't even playing 7 he had the 7 on his jumper but he was standing at 6. I did see him organising a bit but he was up against it we barely had any sets down there. He did look threatening on a couple of occasions and had some nice fast catch and pass efforts and nearly set up our only try. He will be better for the run. Hunt is just not a playmaker its as simple as that, his last kick options were abysmal every single one was a nice gentle inaccurate bomb into always too deep or off target to threaten. Not one drilled low over the sideline, not one nice grubber through the line trying for a repeat set. He and Widdop used to chip inside for each other and Widdop had some sublime grubbers but hunt does the same thing every single time now, he is super low on confidence and just not handling the pressure. If I were the coach I would base the whole game next week on trying to get repeat sets and taking the ball out of play for restarts. I wouldn't care if they didn't score a point just put some fatigue into the opposition and the points and joy will come again.

Life's Good

Coach
He wasn't even playing 7 he had the 7 on his jumper but he was standing at 6. I did see him organising a bit but he was up against it we barely had any sets down there. He did look threatening on a couple of occasions and had some nice fast catch and pass efforts and nearly set up our only try. He will be better for the run. Hunt is just not a playmaker its as simple as that, his last kick options were abysmal every single one was a nice gentle inaccurate bomb into always too deep or off target to threaten. Not one drilled low over the sideline, not one nice grubber through the line trying for a repeat set. He and Widdop used to chip inside for each other and Widdop had some sublime grubbers but hunt does the same thing every single time now, he is super low on confidence and just not handling the pressure. If I were the coach I would base the whole game next week on trying to get repeat sets and taking the ball out of play for restarts. I wouldn't care if they didn't score a point just put some fatigue into the opposition and the points and joy will come again.
Definitely not a criticism it was more aimed at how muted he seemed particularly given Hunt just couldn’t make anything happen.

thebigredv

First Grade
Performing is optional at our club and you won't be held accountable. Welcome to the Dragons, Adam.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Definitely not a criticism it was more aimed at how muted he seemed particularly given Hunt just couldn’t make anything happen.
No I understand, I feel for him I would be using Hunt for kicking as a last resort. I really wanted to see Hunt at 6, he's a not an organiser and really just an off the cuff type of player. I thought it would be good seeing him get in space and just get to have a run. Wasn't to be, I can see they were probably just trying to take the heat off Clune but it didn't work. Hunt in this headspace is not a half. Id shake up the team next week. Clune deserves another shot, id partner him with Norman and drop Luke and play Hunt off the bench.

Life's Good

Coach
No I understand, I feel for him I would be using Hunt for kicking as a last resort. I really wanted to see Hunt at 6, he's a not an organiser and really just an off the cuff type of player. I thought it would be good seeing him get in space and just get to have a run. Wasn't to be, I can see they were probably just trying to take the heat off Clune but it didn't work. Hunt in this headspace is not a half. Id shake up the team next week. Clune deserves another shot, id partner him with Norman and drop Luke and play Hunt off the bench.
He warrants more time, absolutely(don’t do to him what he did to Lomax after 1 game at FB).
My only problem is putting Hunt on the bench. It just wreaks of failure(IMO). Hunt has to lead(even as a running half, leave Clune & McInnes/Luke to organise)& if he can’t then, well, that’s another conversation.
Mind you, the immediate answer is to punt the coach. The team needs a circuit breaker.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Plus change a forward or two. Fullback Dufty ? and a winger Saab.

possm

Coach
Game Plan:
Mary to Clune, 'just let Hunt have the call, if he sees a hole he might
pass it to you'.
Mary to Hunt, 'do your best and only pass to Clune as last resort'.
Mary to McInnes, 'serve the ball to Hunt as often has possible'.
Mary to Hunt and Clune, 'Hunt will take all the kicks in general play unliess he gets stuck and needs someone else to kake a kick'.

Life's Good

Coach
Game Plan:
Mary to Clune, 'just let Hunt have the call, if he sees a hole he might
pass it to you'.
Mary to Hunt, 'do your best and only pass to Clune as last resort'.
Mary to McInnes, 'serve the ball to Hunt as often has possible'.
Mary to Hunt and Clune, 'Hunt will take all the kicks in general play unliess he gets stuck and needs someone else to kake a kick'.
Sorry, that sounds like a game plan. Not something I’d associate with our team at the moment.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Plus change a forward or two. Fullback Dufty ? and a winger Saab.
It looks as though Wiliame is injured too so id say Aitken will play right centre and Lomax will yet again get shifted giving him no chance to build in a position. Which will leave Dufty to play fullback I guess, Personally I would give Saab another run at keep Lomax on the right. I would bring back Lafai on the left over Aitken due to the fact that he can a)Pass b)More natural position in defence c)Is only a stop gap until Wiliame is back. My semi realistic backline would be;
1.Dufty
2.Pereira
3.Lafai
4.Lomax
5.Saab
6.Norman
7.Clune
I wouldn't waste a bench spot on a centre either when you could just use Fuimaono or Ford on the bench who could more than fill in and not leave our bench short.
Bench
14.Hunt
15.Lawrie
16. Merrin
17. Ford
Im a big fan of Fuimaono also but he's been dropped so why not give Ford a go? Watch Clune's or his highlight reels and see how many of the tries he scored involve Clune, they seem to have an awesome combo.
Sharks have a dangerous backline with Dugan and Ramien in the centres so I wouldn't go experimenting vs them in that position too much but against the Titans if Wiliame is still injured I wouldn't mind trying Pereira in the centres, he said he come to the club as a centre and had to learn wing so I think he would go well there, he's worth having in the team imo he's a solid tackle buster and good metre eater.

Old Timer

Coach
Haven't seen the game yet only listened to it on the radio whilst on the way back from the south coast.

From the call of the game it sounded like Clune was pretty much restricted to 1 half of the paddock as he seemed to be called passing to the same players on the occasions he received the ball.

Surely if he is selected as an organising half he should have a full roaming commission to both sides of the paddock including getting the ball on the last play to organise where the opposition will start their set from?

I just heard a lot of mindless kicking from Hunt & a bit from Norman and I think maybe 2 from Clune which sounded like he forced the ball towards the corner at least.

Coach saying one thing as usual and then setting the team structure to defer to the very player who he had moved position due to a lack of form.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
What was the point of having him at 7? It looked pretty clear he was told to step aside for Hunt.

it made it so easy for the dogs to defend against us when all they had to worry about was Hunt. Dragons didn’t even look like scoring once in that game. Just goes to show how inept Mary is. Gives a bloke his debut, but creates a game plan so he doesn’t touch the ball.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
it made it so easy for the dogs to defend against us when all they had to worry about is Hunt. Dragons didn’t even look like scoring once in that game. Just goes to show how inept Mary is. Gives a bloke his debut, but creates a game plan so he doesn’t touch the ball.
Its the new version of keeping the 4th player on the bench until the last 5 minutes or the game is lost.

Latest posts