What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issac Luke confirms Dragons move

getsmarty

Immortal
Issac Luke becomes first disgruntled Dragon to leave embattled club
Adrian Proszenko
June 13, 2020 — 10.05am
  • Send via Email

Luke’s departure after just three games will raise further questions about recruitment and team selection at St George Illawarra. The former Kiwi international was signed as a backup to Cameron McInnes after Reece Robson shifted to North Queensland in the off season. But after just three appearances for the Dragons, Luke has been released to add experience to a Broncos outfit missing the injured Jake Turpin. The veteran rake’s arrival will also assist with the development of promising young dummy half Cory Paix.

Luke informed his Dragons teammates of his decision after coming to terms with Brisbane on a deal for the rest of the year.

The development comes just a week after Dragons recruitment target Moses Suli knocked back a three-year, $2 million deal to re-sign at Manly on a two-year deal worth half as much. Star forward Tyson Frizell will also leave at the end of the season in the belief he has a greater chance of winning a premiership at Newcastle. The dramas are hardly a ringing endorsement for the last-placed club, the only one yet to win a game in 2020.

The St George Illawarra board opted to publicly offer McGregor their full support following an emergency board meeting earlier in the week at which many pundits believed the coach would be axed. The Dragons have won just two of their past 14 games, both against wooden spooners Gold Coast, coming into their local derby with Cronulla at Campbelltown Stadium on Sunday.

e1ed87927515938b1cf86a46ac3fc035fe58f557

Issac Luke is heading to Brisbane due to a lack of opportunity at the Dragons.Credit:AAP

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb believed the decision to publicly back rather than sack McGregor would ease the pressure on the coach.

"He’s just appreciative of the club outwardly displaying support for him," Webb said during the week.

"I think he’s just keen to be getting on with the job now."

The Dragons again refused to grant Saab a release after a second meeting with his manager during the week. However, the 19-year-old winger remains unhappy at the club amid interest from other teams including the Tigers, Bulldogs, Warriors, Rabbitohs, Storm and Sea Eagles.

Dufty had been sounded out by the Gold Coast, although they are likely to instead settle on another fullback currently unable to crack a first-grade spot, Wests Tigers utility Corey Thompson.

Sailor, the son of dual international Wendell, is also losing patience after being unable to break into a winless team. The 21-year-old impressed during the last three games of last season and was a standout during the Nines, but has again been overlooked for selection despite an injury suffered by outside back Brayden Wiliame.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/is...-to-leave-embattled-club-20200613-p5528m.html

possm

Coach
No surprise he never like it here.
We all know the main problems are but untill they do something about it , there will be more going.
1. Coaching
2. Game plan and lack of one.
3. JDB split
4. The club as a whole
5. Recruitment
6. Retention
7. Pathways
8. Board Member selection
9. SGI structure - membership - voting - accountability

Dragon David

First Grade
[QUE="Dragonsamy, post: 14154652, member: 50225"]No surprise he never like it here.
We all know the main problems are but untill they do something about it , there will be more going.
1. Coaching
2. Game plan and lack of one.
3. JDB split
4. The club as a whole[/QUOTE]

We are a complete rabble and a write off. The "Titanic" is going down so quickly that nearly everyone has jumped overboard and the only ones that will be remaining on board are the BOD, Mary and Millward all holding onto each other with the continued belief that they had done a great job. Holy Toledo what an utter joke we have become. Fair enough that Luke has decided to go to the Broncos and good luck to him. Millward surely needs to let us fans know what he is planning as a result of this.

The terrible thing about all of this is that almost each and every one of us are saying the same things on thousands of posts in the majority of the threads and we are getting sick and tired of it.

Once the "Titanic" hits rock or sandy bottom, it will take a very, very long time to get back to the top meaning I may not be around to see us being the Mighty Red V again and win another premiership.

Abbzy_89

Juniors
Issac Luke becomes first disgruntled Dragon to leave embattled club
Adrian Proszenko
June 13, 2020 — 10.05am
  • Send via Email

Luke’s departure after just three games will raise further questions about recruitment and team selection at St George Illawarra. The former Kiwi international was signed as a backup to Cameron McInnes after Reece Robson shifted to North Queensland in the off season. But after just three appearances for the Dragons, Luke has been released to add experience to a Broncos outfit missing the injured Jake Turpin. The veteran rake’s arrival will also assist with the development of promising young dummy half Cory Paix.

Luke informed his Dragons teammates of his decision after coming to terms with Brisbane on a deal for the rest of the year.

The development comes just a week after Dragons recruitment target Moses Suli knocked back a three-year, $2 million deal to re-sign at Manly on a two-year deal worth half as much. Star forward Tyson Frizell will also leave at the end of the season in the belief he has a greater chance of winning a premiership at Newcastle. The dramas are hardly a ringing endorsement for the last-placed club, the only one yet to win a game in 2020.

The St George Illawarra board opted to publicly offer McGregor their full support following an emergency board meeting earlier in the week at which many pundits believed the coach would be axed. The Dragons have won just two of their past 14 games, both against wooden spooners Gold Coast, coming into their local derby with Cronulla at Campbelltown Stadium on Sunday.

e1ed87927515938b1cf86a46ac3fc035fe58f557

Issac Luke is heading to Brisbane due to a lack of opportunity at the Dragons.Credit:AAP

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb believed the decision to publicly back rather than sack McGregor would ease the pressure on the coach.

"He’s just appreciative of the club outwardly displaying support for him," Webb said during the week.

"I think he’s just keen to be getting on with the job now."

The Dragons again refused to grant Saab a release after a second meeting with his manager during the week. However, the 19-year-old winger remains unhappy at the club amid interest from other teams including the Tigers, Bulldogs, Warriors, Rabbitohs, Storm and Sea Eagles.

Dufty had been sounded out by the Gold Coast, although they are likely to instead settle on another fullback currently unable to crack a first-grade spot, Wests Tigers utility Corey Thompson.

Sailor, the son of dual international Wendell, is also losing patience after being unable to break into a winless team. The 21-year-old impressed during the last three games of last season and was a standout during the Nines, but has again been overlooked for selection despite an injury suffered by outside back Brayden Wiliame.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/is...-to-leave-embattled-club-20200613-p5528m.html
I’m as pissed off with what’s happening at the Dragons as much as the next supporter, but journalists are milking the situation as much as they can eg this fluff piece. “Issac Luke first disgruntled player to leave” this move was on the cards for weeks.

Brutalitops

Juniors
The shocking part of this is, regardless of Luke's playing ability these days, he was genuinely excited to come and play for the Red V just mere months ago when he signed. He was quite active with the community aspect pre-covid and excitedly announced his signing before the club did.

Luke is not really a big loss for us, but it shows how little time it takes in our current toxic environment to completely change a player.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
I’m as pissed off with what’s happening at the Dragons as much as the next supporter, but journalists are milking the situation as much as they can eg this fluff piece. “Issac Luke first disgruntled player to leave” this move was on the cards for weeks.

GOOD,,,,,,,,,,we need the pressure to continue...The board will not listen..........Maybe a whistle blower and public shaming will see change....they do not care what the PAYING fans think.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
What it does confirm though is that Hunt is definitely going to play hooker and has probably been on the cards to do so for weeks. Hopefully he plays off the bench though as he will add quite a bit late in the game I believe. Will also free up Clune to actually play 7 and we will see if a Clune/Norman combo is the secret sauce we have been looking for.

SaintElroy

Juniors
I can understand this fringe players wanting to leave, might be more the fact that with no lower grades playing they are just itching for a game of footy? With no match fitness in the lower grades players replacing first graders are going to be a little underdone.
I thought luke was a good depth signing in case cam went down. Then I saw brittan, he is more than capable and offers more than like in my opinion. Luke getting a run straight up for the Bronx might also buy him another year or two in grade.

redv13

Bench
It’s more like the Broncos are desperate for an experienced cheap hooker. Brittan should be in front of Luke for a bench spot anyway. Classic media garbage. Nothing to see here. Win win for Brisbane and Luke gets a decent crack in his last year of footy

Dragonsamy

Bench
Of course it's a win-win for the Broncos I let my let McCullough go and get Luke for half the price of McCulloch with us paying half of that if I was them I would also be laughing

Last edited:

possm

Coach
What it does confirm though is that Hunt is definitely going to play hooker and has probably been on the cards to do so for weeks. Hopefully he plays off the bench though as he will add quite a bit late in the game I believe. Will also free up Clune to actually play 7 and we will see if a Clune/Norman combo is the secret sauce we have been looking for.
I'd say the Clune / Hunt combo is a good fit if only Mary did not insist that all the ball went Hunt's way. In fact it should have been the other way round, most of the ball should have gone Clune's way. In this way Clune could have managed SGI's game and taken a lot more of the kicks in general play. In addition, Sims and Lomax would have got some decent ball to do their magic.

You can be sure that if Norman pairs with Clune, the same will happen again. McInnes or Hunt will use Norman as first-receiver and he will take the majority of kicks in general play.

So for this game, maybe:
1. Norman
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Ravalawa
5. Saab
6. Britten
7. Clune
8. Kerr
9. Hunt
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Fuimaono
13. McInnes

14. Merrin
15. Lawrie
16. Ford
17. Host

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I guess STGI marketing department will have to go into overdrive on the weekend seeing Luke featured in many of their videos.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Samy....
I will call you out on No 3..it is BS... excuse
BLM01
I understand what you're saying but it is still a rift there is players who are on his side andplayers who are not on his side or just don't care so you can't call it BS it's a BS excuse yes it should have been dealt with years ago.
All of the excuses are bs things that should have been dealt with long time ago.
The biggest b.s. is the club at the momment

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
BLM01
I understand what you're saying but it is still a rift there is players who are on his side andplayers who are not on his side or just don't care so you can't call it BS it's a BS excuse yes it should have been dealt with years ago.
None of them excuses they're all things that should have been dealt with long time ago

I dont necessarily disagree or agree
I am purely talking about this matter affecting on field performances only and is where I draw the line.
I dont care about personality clashes, people not liking one another, players grouping with certain players... as that happens in every club all the way down to Under 6's..in my experience but you just get on with the job in hand
I am not endorsing the club's handling, decisions (except legally ATM) or peoples likes or dislikes and they are arguments for another day