What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KEARNEY GONE!

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
What's the obsession with Toovey?

I know he was close to the job last time but he hasn't coached for going on 6 years (not including the Bradford year as it was a dismal failure).

We need someone who is involved in the game. Alot has happened in the last 6 years

Rich102

Staff member
Trouble is our juniors are no longer getting NSW or Queensland cup experience.

Maybe the club should arrange a few school holiday camps with Stacey in charge?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Trouble is our juniors are no longer getting NSW or Queensland cup experience.

Maybe the club should arrange a few school holiday camps with Stacey in charge?
Yeah but you had the best NYC for a while, just did not get better.

Hey new coach, who knows, I am sure the are some 17 year old kiwis somewhere waiting for a crack.

gordsy

Juniors
We struggle to attract good players.

Nobody decent would ever come here while Kearney is the coach.

By sacking him now, we can appoint Toovey and spend the rest of the year recruiting decent players who want to play under a good coach.
The warriors will find it hard to sign great players without paying big overs. Moving country isn't a small thing. The big question is are the warriors smart adn patient and willing to invest in juniors and build for long term success or are they like a lot of nrl clubs, stupid in they focus only on winning one flag and who gives a f**k apart from that.

Rich102

Staff member
Yeah but you had the best NYC for a while, just did not get better.

Hey new coach, who knows, I am sure the are some 17 year old kiwis somewhere waiting for a crack.

We also had a coach named John Ackland who knew how to recruit and coach kids.
What did we do? Sack him.

Rich102

Staff member
Here's the real reason Warriors owner Mark Robinson had to sack Steve Kearney - a player vote.

Robinson - who I presume wields the power since his family's company Autex Industries became sole owner last year - had every right to bring down this axe. I wholeheartedly applaud the move, even if it appears a bit harsh given the team has been forced to live across the ditch.

There is something seriously wrong with the coaching when a team exhibits such ridiculous form reversals every single week over an incredible length of time.

• And that has not been lost on other NRL players and their agents.

That's the main player vote I'm talking about.

Matt Lodge, Apisai Koroisau, Dylan Brown, Jake Turpin, David Fifita, Tevita Pangai jnr, Kurt Capewell and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui have reportedly rejected massive Warriors offers during the past year. Young Melbourne giant Fa'asuamaleaui preferred the hopeless Gold Coast Titans, the ultimate NRL insult.

Now, Cronulla prop Toby Rudolf wants to backflip on his intention to join the Warriors next year.

We don't know the precise nature of the negotiations, but we do know the club appears unable to make any significant signings, particularly among players with no Kiwi links.

This adds up to a savage vote of no confidence in Kearney's Warriors. No NRL club I can recall has had so much trouble signing good players when they are offering so much money.

There was another important player vote, much closer to home. Senior forward Adam Blair revealed the current Warriors players asked the coach to use a more expansive game during the 2019 season. Ouch.

Robinson is a brash character who didn't buy a football club to look like an impotent fool. Kearney wasn't his man, and the doubts Robinson clearly had about the coach can only have been magnified this season.

The big win over the Cowboys last week showed the potential, while the ridiculously heavy loss to the Rabbitohs on Friday night revealed again the coach didn't know how to make the most of that potential.

There's no set formula to the magical mix which makes a good coach. Put it this way: nobody has Wayne Bennett's particular type of aura, and no modern-day coach would want it either.

If I had to guess at a Kearney weakness, it would be an inability to clearly articulate his ideas. The style of football chopped and changed over his three and a half year reign.

But in the end, the methods don't matter. Results on the board tell an owner or board all they really need to know.

Kearney had to go, and here's another major reason why.

In a squad of 30-odd players, there are probably only two who have actually emerged and thrived under his stewardship. They are giant wing Ken Maumalo and maverick middle forward Jazz Tevaga.

There are some exceptions, of course.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is the club's best player, but he had already established his credentials with the Roosters. Tohu Harris has been excellent this year but his game was honed at Melbourne.

Elsewhere, things are not so great.

An obvious example of a young player whose career has stalled under Kearney is Isaiah Papali'i. Even David Fusitu'a has looked lost since Kearney played around with his backline combinations.

Erratic week-to-week form will find no better example in the NRL than Kodi Nikorima, who has gifts he can't always deliver. Similarly Peta Hiku, who offers an almost dreamy attacking nous which doesn't work when hard headed concentration on defence is required. Kearney couldn't sort out the Shaun Johnson form conundrum either.

The list of negatives goes on and on.

Rather than being totally disadvantaged, camping in Australia because of the virus crisis offered Kearney a chance to pull the team together and fully implement his ways in the manner of old touring sports teams. He failed, and a horrible record as Parramatta head coach meant he had no history to save him.

I'm delighted people are defending Kearney, because he is a quality man and a New Zealand rugby league great.

He emerged as an outstanding Kiwi and NRL forward in the 1990s, a trailblazer who would studiously fill notebooks with footy information while others were hell bent on being hell raisers.

But ultimately, there is a disconnect between the effort Kearney puts into the game, and the results as a coach.

And there were alarming decisions during his reign.

The over-concern for the welfare of Kieran Foran, the troubled Kiwi playmaker brought to Auckland on some kind of mercy mission, was bizarre.

And Blair's contract situation is ridiculous. He was well past his best when given a $650,000 a year deal.

In both cases, the players' New Zealand nationality played too much of a role, as it did when Kearney was appointed over the likes of Aussies Ivan Cleary and Geoff Toovey.

The Kearney appointment, made under a previous management and ownership, was overly sentimental, something Robinson could not be accused of under these unusual circumstances.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12341591

Big Marn

Juniors
I also thought that all the recent no signings could be due to players not wanting to be coached by Kearney and that is a possible reason for sacking him. Maybe the Toby Rudolph backflip was the last straw.
But that was pure speculation on my part and likewise Rattue is has nothing to back up his claim.

What is fact is the Warriors have a history where they try to get players that have won a GF recently and we pay overs to get them. Harris, RTS and arguably Tate are probably the only ones they have got with them still in their prime. Others like Blair and Luke for example, come over here well past their best.

Then on the other side of the coin, when they do get a player cheaply ( through either blind luck or good management ) that turns outs to be elite, rather than stay and try and build a premiership winning team they head for the hills first time a decent contract is waved in front of them by another club, citing homesick or some other bs. eg Maloney.

Then to make matters worse, they cant identify quality players when they are standing right in front of them. eg CNK.
So yeah, the club is a basketcase

Adam jeffries

Juniors
The warriors need to have there own identity not trying to be the Rooster or the Storm you are not those clubs, as much as you would like the NZ culture is different the way you play footy is different and it should be embraced instead of frowned upon about completing sets, the Warriors are always on song when people are throwing the ball around and smiling on the field and when they are doing that they are a strong side , they need to make the trip to NZ daunting and they need to be saw when they are leaving, Left field option for coach would be the Walker Brothers and there different style of footy would suit the new rules and also the Warriors

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Remember we are already halfway through the year. It may feel early doe to the interrupted season but we are at what would normally be the halfway point, and that’s the time when these decisions are usually made. 2021 wont wait.

sup42

Juniors
I used to link Coach sackings to optimism about replacements.

Fact: The Warriors have only had one NRL winning coach 1995 Monie.

The Warriors have only attracted one other Experienced NRL coach, Matt Elliot (unless you want to make an argument of Kearneys Eels years, yes he was experienced, I call it a technicality).

No one is coming.

Do the Maths, twenty years.

Assistant coaches are all we get, that is proven.

No other NRL club has a record anything like this. The reality is, that good coaches do not want to come to fix the Warriors, they are isolated and deeply problematic, career suicide.

jaseg

Juniors
Moses has quite a few more players on our roster than just those two, if I remember correctly.

We were getting into his stable big time during the Kearney era. I remember expressing concern about it at the time - for possible reasons like this. Moses was always a scumbag and I wouldn't put this past him at all - see his work at the Tigers, for a start.

At least this makes more sense than most rationale I've seen floated around.

BLN2

Juniors
Moses went through my mind when he got sacked. The timing makes sense. The guy is dodge, wouldn't surprise anyone if there is even an ounce of truth in it. He's done it before.

Less Moses linked people the better.. Dumping SK might upset Green and Blair enough to leave the end of the season. That would be a hatrick of wins IMO..

Nikroima and Beale are also his clients, they all got expensive, long deals. FO Moses.

WellsNZ

Juniors
What's the obsession with Toovey?

I know he was close to the job last time but he hasn't coached for going on 6 years (not including the Bradford year as it was a dismal failure).

We need someone who is involved in the game. Alot has happened in the last 6 years

Because he's everything the club hasn't been for going on a decade.

He can surround himself with people involved in the game.

The type of culture Toovey could forge, that Manly culture, that is always going to be a good thing regardless of how the game changes.

He might not even be the long term solution, but as an immediate come in and pull out all the weeds and start fresh, he's the ticket.

He also has the history and respect that some decent players might actually be interested in coming here to play for him.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Toovey, Fitzgibbon... I'd be happy. Toovey is so genuine, I think the players would respond.

Griffin would be ok... maybe the should chase Grandpa Wayne

Latest posts