What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KEARNEY GONE!

jaseg

Juniors
Nah. You sack him now so off contract players aren't wondering who the coach is going to be.

Doing it now is an attempt to salvage 2021.

I'd argue that sacking him actually has the opposite effect - it raises the question of who the coach will be, since we don't have one (a permanent one, anyway) - and given that most candidates are available only at the end of the season, that probably won't change.

Of course, 2 of my listed preferences might be available immediately... but still, weird to take over coming in from the outside of a club mid-season.

Rich102

Staff member
The club said they would give SK 6 rounds and they have.
I would be very surprised if they haven't already signed a replacement.
Probably waiting for things to settle before announcing who.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Something has to be up. Some kind of plan has to be in motion here, surely.

This season was always going to be a clusterfu*k given our injuries and Covid. Given that, our performances haven't been terrible. 2 wins out of 4, and you could argue we were competitive for 40 mins against the Rabbits, and had some pretty huge dud calls.

Also, Kearney had made some pretty big changes in the last few weeks. Dropping IPap and putting Blair to front row. Showing that he was atleast willing to mix it up, something he hasn't done much of in the past.

So why now?
It literally doesn't make any sense, unless something is in the works that we don't know about.

Im hoping we have a plan and were clearing deck ready for next year.

We also have a lot of players not contracted for next year too, so it will be interesting to see how it players out

taste2taste

Juniors
I wonder if Bellemy would be interested in 'head of football' ? Not coaching, but putting systems in place to make sure the best local players are warriors and not poached by other NRL teams. Bellemy also has a knack for turning average players into superstars Cough Addo Car, Koroibete, Finucane Cough.

Walker brothers would also be interesting. With how the games opened up, their unique offense could be a revelation.

BLN2

Juniors
I think we're all on the same page - Had to happen, just the timing seems off.

Kearney built this roster, has cleaned it out, started again and already needs another clean out after playing poorly for 2 seasons! The COVID excuse was looking likely to get him through the season, big dick move to cut him now.

Possibly some player power coming into play? Although we've heard the seniors all really respect him, we also had talk of SK sitting down and taking in more of the players opinions into this seasons game plan. That always sounded odd to me, as well as Nathan Brown being involved. Signs of doubt over his coaching skill in my mind.

To me the season is basically a write off anyway, I guess they get a chance to see how the players go with Payten, and potentially take their time to line up a 2021 replacement. No to Nathan Brown, Neil Henry etc, failed NRL coaches is not worth the time. I hope the club has learnt that from Elliott and now Kearney..

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
c9c44c264e00c3246a6b7be08d152782.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fb0bf3a2c-14f3-4ab1-a733-ee98a1bbc6c6

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Bennett is leaving Souths then also.

The old boy is pretty much available now

Souths have told him there isn’t a job there post 2021, he wants to go another 4-5 years so they won’t stand in his way leaving, he has been on the phone with the Dragons for weeks and the Dogs are now rumoured to be having a look

I don’t think he would entertain coming though, as he like to take teams that are ready to go, rather than project teams. Also has a history of leaving every side he coaches in an absolute mess too and that has repeated a few times

jaseg

Juniors
The old boy is pretty much available now

Souths have told him there isn’t a job there post 2021, he wants to go another 4-5 years so they won’t stand in his way leaving, he has been on the phone with the Dragons for weeks and the Dogs are now rumoured to be having a look

I don’t think he would entertain coming though, as he like to take teams that are ready to go, rather than project teams. Also has a history of leaving every side he coaches in an absolute mess too and that has repeated a few times

Interesting..

I'd take 4-5 years of making the finals for (nearly) all of them and be in a mess at the end of it over being a mess the entire time ;) - plus, at least we have O'Sullivan as a recruiter for the 'after' years (provided we keep him..)

If he's available, I'd go right for him (after confirming Flanagan isn't getting reinstated for 2021).

I expect the Dragons would be a bigger lure, and the Cowboys job should open up too, but who knows, he was involved with the Kiwis.. maybe there's something there for him.

Cold Roses

Juniors
I’m hoping that if we can’t get a top shelf proven coach, that we look at someone like Fitzgibbon who has massive wraps on him from Trent Robinson. It will be a waste of time to go with a midrange guy like Brown or Griffin. They won’t get us anywhere. We need a full rebuild.

Hopefully Cameron George is next on the chopping block.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Good time to sack Boy George too and start with a clean slate.
After all George has to take some responsibility for what has happened.

He pushed for Kearney to get a 3 year extension when there was no pressure to do so. Now Kearney has been sacked. If that’s not a bad Business management decision then what is? Show him the door.

DuggyB

Juniors
Cameron George says there is never a right time to sack someone,but Im pretty sure there is a wrong time .The group in Oz will have become very tight through going through all the sacrifice together so to sack the leader without even consulting any senior players is incredibly tone deaf in my view.
A lot of those boys will be sad but even worse there will be anger towards the club ..How are players expected to do their best for "the club" when management treats someone who has their respect like this?
I hope that they have a plan in place -I think Todd has a job on his hands in the meantime.

Leber

Bench
We struggle to attract good players.

Nobody decent would ever come here while Kearney is the coach.

By sacking him now, we can appoint Toovey and spend the rest of the year recruiting decent players who want to play under a good coach.