What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Try scoring team kick offs

davi

Juniors
NRL is reportedly considering changing the rule where the try scoring team kicks off rather then the team that conceded a try kicks off in the rule changes. Gus Gould thinks its a disadvantage to the team conceding points and will further blow out contests and he points it to happening in Superleague. Gus argues that it disadvantages the team because they have to force it out of there own end and that's where a mistake can happen. I'm not so sure I've witnessed the Broncos involved in blowout losses because they couldn't get there hands on the ball. I think the purist side of Gus might be coming out of Gus here. The rule there proposing is similar to what they do in the NFL.

"Try-scoring teams could be responsible for restarting play from kick-offs from next season as the NRL considers introducing further rule changes to make the game more entertaining.

The two big innovations following the resumption of the season, the "six-again" rule and the return to one referee, have been widely applauded since their introduction. However, there could be a further tinkering of the rules during an off-season review.

Some of the suggestions set to be tabled include a reduction in the interchange and limiting the use of the video referee to just captain's challenges, which could be increased to two incorrect referrals per team.

However, the most intriguing proposal is the prospect of making the team that has scored a try kick off to resume play. The idea is to give the team that has just conceded points a chance to gain possession, a move that is likely to even up contests given teams can get on a roll if starved of the football for protracted periods.

That proposal came via several fans' written submissions directly to ARLC chairman Peter V'landys, who is encouraging all stakeholders to suggest ways to make the Greatest Game of All better still.

"It's great the fans are engaging, we have to listen to what the customers want," V'landys said.

"We need to make the game more entertaining. I keep stressing that we are in the entertainment industry. Like it or not people use their disposable income for escapism. Escapism is entertainment, so you need to make sure you're providing to the customer what they are paying for.

"I'm a big fan of listening to the fans. [The kick-off idea] was floated to me and we'll give consideration to it."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...being-considered-for-nrl-20200613-p552ae.html

Frailty

First Grade
NRL is reportedly considering changing the rule where the try scoring team kicks off rather then the team that conceded a try kicks off in the rule changes. Gus Gould thinks its a disadvantage to the team conceding points and will further blow out contests and he points it to happening in Superleague. Gus argues that it disadvantages the team because they have to force it out of there own end and that's where a mistake can happen. I'm not so sure I've witnessed the Broncos involved in blowout losses because they couldn't get there hands on the ball. I think the purist side of Gus might be coming out of Gus here. The rule there proposing is similar to what they do in the NFL.

I agree, this is not where teams have been beaten.

But then it raises the point, what is the point of changing it then?

horrie hastings

First Grade
We have had so far the most unsettling season this year and things still might come into play where we don't finish this season so why don't we try and look forward to next year and try to plan for a normal season trying to get the game back on track without any major rule changes, would that be to hard to ask for ?

Chook Norris

First Grade
We have had so far the most unsettling season this year and things still might come into play where we don't finish this season so why don't we try and look forward to next year and try to plan for a normal season trying to get the game back on track without any major rule changes, would that be to hard to ask for ?
Arguably, the best time for more changes is around now. Never waste a crisis. People have become so used to sudden changes that a little more isn't the end of the world.

Anyway, I'd be keen to see some real analysis on this.

Danish

Referee
Seems like a change for change's sake that would actually ruin some of the great comebacks we've seen over the years.

The Roosters/Souths miracle double from 2012 would not have happened with this rule in place. Both scored 2 tries in back to back sets in the final 2 minutes of the game to snatch victory. Both would instead have had to try on a short kick off to get the ball back. Doesn't seem right to me.

We already have enough rules that manufacture an equal share of possession with limited tackles, uncontested scrums, and 20m restarts. The very minimum we can ask of a team that wants to get the ball is that they at least stop the opposition from scoring a f**king try.

Valheru

Coach
Make it like netball, teams take turns kicking off.

Team A kicks off and then team B takes the next kick off then team A and so forth regardless of who scores.

Of course the above is a ridiculous idea, just leave it the way it is.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
These days when the ball is kicked 600000 miles in the air* and rotates a hundred billion times a second ** it is a disadvantage receiving the kickoff. Chasers are right up your yingyang and you're usually playing your first play the ball 10 metres out.

* & **: figures may be slightly exaggerated.

T-Boon

Coach
Its an area of the game that could be made more entertaining. Presently 95% of kick offs are the exact same progression. Kick, catch by the post, hand off to prop, tackled on 20.

I think the team kicking off should be able to tap and run for 1 play to make the 40m line. If they make = repeat set.

davi

Juniors
Seems like a change for change's sake that would actually ruin some of the great comebacks we've seen over the years.

The Roosters/Souths miracle double from 2012 would not have happened with this rule in place. Both scored 2 tries in back to back sets in the final 2 minutes of the game to snatch victory. Both would instead have had to try on a short kick off to get the ball back. Doesn't seem right to me.

We already have enough rules that manufacture an equal share of possession with limited tackles, uncontested scrums, and 20m restarts. The very minimum we can ask of a team that wants to get the ball is that they at least stop the opposition from scoring a f**king try.

You make a valid point on the comeback side of things. How many times has a team been leading in rugby league and the opposition makes a comeback and gets on a roll. The team that has lost the momentum slowly drudge up to half way line to kick off with dread of what could possibly happen next.

I will say though the nay sayers of the rule change on this forum are divided on why it shouldn't be implemented though. Some say the rule could possibly hurt the comeback sides of things, while others say it may increase blow out scores, but I can't see how it can do both. It has to be potentially one or the other.

It only lasted one season in Superleague though, and the NRL didn't discard all the things Superleague tried (Video ref etc). So you have to think there may have been a reason why they squibbed it. Thank goodness they squibbed players choosing there own numbers and retiring players jerseys ugghhh.