What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Sea Eagles

BLM01

First Grade
What comp have you been watching?

5 of our 8 matches this year have been against teams that are in the 8.

For the donkeys it’s only 3.

They’ve had a much easier draw.

Plus they lost to the titans.

Not even Mary does that.

And siebold has 3.5 years to go on his contract, so the payout would be huge.

They’re in a much worse position than we are.
Who said anything about Top 8 sides....I said good sides
I disagree with they have had easier draw...not so
Bulldogs have only won 1 game this year...you guessed it..against us...
Warriors we could not even score a point
And if Broncos beat the Dogs..and we loose to Manly and both is quite likely...
they will be ahead of us on the ladder
Siebold might turn them aroundf and be a force next year...but I know.. you dont rate him for some reason
He has only had about 1/2 season of below par coaching....we have had several
Slightly worse performance this year..not much worse IMO

SBD82

Coach
I disagree with they have had easier draw...not so
Bulldogs have only won 1 game this year...you guessed it..against us...
Warriors we could not even score a point
And if Broncos beat the Dogs..and we loose to Manly and both is quite likely...
they will be ahead of us on the ladder
Siebold might turn them aroundf and be a force next year...but I know.. you dont rate him for some reason
He has only had about 1/2 season of below par coaching....we have had several
Slightly worse performance this year..not much worse IMO
Seibold has only had half a season of success. And it was with a squad that he didn’t develop.

With all the resources of Red Hill, including a junior contingent that is the envy of the NRL, he has completely shit the bed so far.

BLM01

First Grade
Seibold has only had half a season of success. And it was with a squad that he didn’t develop.

With all the resources of Red Hill, including a junior contingent that is the envy of the NRL, he has completely shit the bed so far.
Seibold did alright at his 1st year at Souths too.
Wayne Bennett with all those same resources finished 2018 the way Seibold fininshed 2019
But the whole point of the debate was there are a few worse than him in the success department which keep getting overshadowed...now that Kearney is gone our 6 year veteran coach is the worst in the success department relative to time at the helm.
Green also has had a few lean years the past 2.5.

getsmarty

Immortal
r09_preview_8-dragons-v-sea-eagles.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Dragons v Sea Eagles: Host, Sims near return; Manly lack options
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Mon 6 Jul 2020, 05:31 PM

St George Illawarra will be looking to build on dogged performance against last season's grand finalists Canberra when they take on the Sea Eagles.

The Dragons fought back from 22-0 down with three late tries to give themselves a sniff and will be intent on carrying that momentum into their clash with Manly and give themselves every chance of notching their third win of 2020.

Manly find themselves outside the eight after a frustrating loss to the Knights at Brookvale Oval in which their defence looked its old self after an uncharacteristically sloppy showing against the Sharks but their attack failed to fire in the absence of Tom Trbojevic.

With all the pressure on skipper Daly Cherry-Evans to produce points he will be looking for play-making help from Lachlan Croker and Cade Cust.

Match: Dragons v Sea Eagles

Round 9 - Sunday 12th July

6:30pm

Home Team

Dragons

13th Position

Away Team

Sea Eagles

10th Position

Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

Match broadcasters:

• Kayo
  • Foxtel
  • Live Pass
Fan Information
The Rundown
Team news
Dragons: Jacob Host (hamstring) could come into contention for a bench spot. Second-row enforcer Tariq Sims (wrist) is also nearing a return. Paul McGregor has said that he will evaluate Ben Hunt's role in the side on a weekly basis, with the playmaker currently benched.

Sea Eagles: Few changes are expected for the depleted Manly. Tom Trbojevic and Dylan Walker are still several weeks away from returning.

Key match-up
Matt Dufty v Reuben Garrick: Dufty has been one of the few bright spots for the battling Dragons, hailed by coach Paul McGregor for his blossoming partnership with Cameron McInnes and rookie half Adam Clune, while former Dragon Garrick has been given the job of filling the very large boots of Tom Trbojevic. The Dragons custodian was in the thick of St George Illawarra's fightback against the Raiders while Manly's No.1 showed significant improvement against the Knights after a difficult outing in their Sharks loss.

Stat attack
The Dragons lead the NRL in kick metres, with 5132 over the opening eight rounds. While that may suggest they struggle to get out of their own half when given possession, the next three teams on the list (Canberra, Penrith and Parramatta) are all enjoying strong starts to 2020.

Dragons v Sea Eagles

Dragons v Sea Eagles
What will be the result of their clash?

Dragons v Sea Eagles What will be the result of their clash?
  • Dragons 1-10
    22%
  • Dragons 11+
    5%
  • Sea Eagles 1-10
    51%
  • Sea Eagles 11+
    21%
3,916 Votes
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/06/dragons-v-sea-eagles-host-sims-near-return-manly-lack-options/

BLM01

First Grade
r09_preview_8-dragons-v-sea-eagles.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Dragons v Sea Eagles: Host, Sims near return; Manly lack options
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Mon 6 Jul 2020, 05:31 PM

St George Illawarra will be looking to build on dogged performance against last season's grand finalists Canberra when they take on the Sea Eagles.

The Dragons fought back from 22-0 down with three late tries to give themselves a sniff and will be intent on carrying that momentum into their clash with Manly and give themselves every chance of notching their third win of 2020.

Manly find themselves outside the eight after a frustrating loss to the Knights at Brookvale Oval in which their defence looked its old self after an uncharacteristically sloppy showing against the Sharks but their attack failed to fire in the absence of Tom Trbojevic.

With all the pressure on skipper Daly Cherry-Evans to produce points he will be looking for play-making help from Lachlan Croker and Cade Cust.

Match: Dragons v Sea Eagles

Round 9 - Sunday 12th July

6:30pm

Home Team

Dragons

13th Position

Away Team

Sea Eagles

10th Position

Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

Match broadcasters:

• Kayo
  • Foxtel
  • Live Pass
Fan Information
The Rundown
Team news
Dragons: Jacob Host (hamstring) could come into contention for a bench spot. Second-row enforcer Tariq Sims (wrist) is also nearing a return. Paul McGregor has said that he will evaluate Ben Hunt's role in the side on a weekly basis, with the playmaker currently benched.

Sea Eagles: Few changes are expected for the depleted Manly. Tom Trbojevic and Dylan Walker are still several weeks away from returning.

Key match-up
Matt Dufty v Reuben Garrick: Dufty has been one of the few bright spots for the battling Dragons, hailed by coach Paul McGregor for his blossoming partnership with Cameron McInnes and rookie half Adam Clune, while former Dragon Garrick has been given the job of filling the very large boots of Tom Trbojevic. The Dragons custodian was in the thick of St George Illawarra's fightback against the Raiders while Manly's No.1 showed significant improvement against the Knights after a difficult outing in their Sharks loss.

Stat attack
The Dragons lead the NRL in kick metres, with 5132 over the opening eight rounds. While that may suggest they struggle to get out of their own half when given possession, the next three teams on the list (Canberra, Penrith and Parramatta) are all enjoying strong starts to 2020.

Dragons v Sea Eagles

Dragons v Sea Eagles
What will be the result of their clash?

Dragons v Sea Eagles What will be the result of their clash?
  • Dragons 1-10
    22%
  • Dragons 11+
    5%
  • Sea Eagles 1-10
    51%
  • Sea Eagles 11+
    21%
3,916 Votes
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/06/dragons-v-sea-eagles-host-sims-near-return-manly-lack-options/
Manly should get rid of Croker and play Cust..he is goer and can play

thebigredv

First Grade
McGregor and the club spin doctors are masters at rationalizing almost any situation.
They have been doing it for 7 years.
Close loss - "we're improving", thrashing - "we had injury problems and DeBelin's absence", we win - "we ahve turned the corner"

So true about the rubbish dialogue.

Not once, not ONCE have a McGregor's Dragons put in a complete performance. That's what gets me. Professional teams that know what they are doing pull out 80 minute perfomances every now and then. A performance where you just go 'they dominated that'.

I know that sounds simplistic but think about it - when did a McGregor team play well from minute 1-80? When have we just controlled a match or had razzle dazzle from start to finish? Look at the Titans game for instance, even our wins are never polished. The 48-18 first week final was probably the closest to it.

I generally don't get excited about watching McGregor Dragons. When we are good we have been physical and dour, which is fine but there's been a lot of crud all around it.

I feel unable to articulate right now, I know this will come off unrealistic and spoilt-brattish but really the product has been plain disappointing for so long that it's quite ludicrous to think that he is still there.

SBD82

Coach
Seibold did alright at his 1st year at Souths too.
Wayne Bennett with all those same resources finished 2018 the way Seibold fininshed 2019
But the whole point of the debate was there are a few worse than him in the success department which keep getting overshadowed...now that Kearney is gone our 6 year veteran coach is the worst in the success department relative to time at the helm.
Green also has had a few lean years the past 2.5.
I was referring to Souths when I referred to his half season of success with a squad that he didn’t develop. Souths had a good first half of the season, but didn’t finish well.

His recruitment and retention decisions since arriving at the Broncos have been diabolical. He appears to have no concept of the importance of building a team with a winning culture, or the type of players that are important for instilling this culture at a club. I suspect that he has an excellent technical understanding of footy, but an inability to translate that understanding to his players.

While there’s no denying that Mary has many flaws, he has had a couple of seasons when his team has performed for sustained periods for the first half of the comp. That alone puts him ahead of Seibold in terms of success thus far, albeit over a longer period.

Green has had several poor seasons. But when you deliver the maiden premiership to your club, you get a bit of leeway. He has probably had too much, but at least he has the runs on the board.

And I have never seen a Bennett coached team look as lost or emotionally crippled as the current Broncos side. No team can build a culture of success in that environment. Wayne knows it. Green knows it. Maybe even Mary knows it. Seibold doesn’t seem to.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

That’s a Mary-ism right there if ever I’ve heard one..

“We’re a good side, we’re just didn’t make the top 8”

Are you Mary?

BLM01

First Grade
I was referring to Souths when I referred to his half season of success with a squad that he didn’t develop. Souths had a good first half of the season, but didn’t finish well.

His recruitment and retention decisions since arriving at the Broncos have been diabolical. He appears to have no concept of the importance of building a team with a winning culture, or the type of players that are important for instilling this culture at a club. I suspect that he has an excellent technical understanding of footy, but an inability to translate that understanding to his players.

While there’s no denying that Mary has many flaws, he has had a couple of seasons when his team has performed for sustained periods for the first half of the comp. That alone puts him ahead of Seibold in terms of success thus far, albeit over a longer period.

Green has had several poor seasons. But when you deliver the maiden premiership to your club, you get a bit of leeway. He has probably had too much, but at least he has the runs on the board.

And I have never seen a Bennett coached team look as lost or emotionally crippled as the current Broncos side. No team can build a culture of success in that environment. Wayne knows it. Green knows it. Maybe even Mary knows it. Seibold doesn’t seem to.

So you are saying Seibold is a worse coach than Mary cause Mary has been coaching for 6 years...and judging Seibold only after 2.5 years.....Ok then..tell me how does Mary's record put him ahead of Seibold....
Seibold has made semis both years he has coached.(Final 4 with Souths)...better than Mary thus far

And you are blaming him for recruitment / retention at the Broncos and the cap problems left by his predecessor
Diabolical..you must be referring to our side..surely.!
So who has Seibold let go that is so good and or not on their way out to pasture..
McGuire.. McCullogh....na....
I would concede probably should of kept Nikorima & Dargin as halves..but thats it

and what dud has he purchased with little cap room?
Croft did OK in Melbourne and is an Ok player to me...just like him and his team..not firing at the moment
Isaac Luke and Teo quick fix to plug a hole short term....yeh...but Jake Turpin is back soon so Luke wont last long

No doubting Boyd should have retired..but that was not Seibolds fault and there may be some substance to the rumour... that he was told not to drop him in his last year?
Milford no doubt is struggling..but he also struggled in 2018 under Wayne like others did as they jus made the semis and got caned by us

Geez the media were all over the Broncos after Round 2 as a potential Top 4 side...
did not see the bagging of him by the media nor on this site then either

But I agree with you in regards to how emotionally spent they look now but i put that down to the over the top media pressure and the fact unfairly they have had the knives out for Siebold waiting for a poor run of form because of the way Wayne departed and Seibold entered denying it all..and QLD wanted their favourite son Kevvie Walters to get the job
Seibold getting the job was just not a popular choice by the masses up of there of ex players, media and supporters..and he has been on a hiding to nothing from the time he started.

I will judge him with his full compliment of players and probably now next year when a stack of cap space is cleared out...
just my take

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Just learning from the very best on here of spin and twisters
BTW.. what does this quote mean?
"we’re just didn’t make the top 8”
No, I’m genuinely confused.

How can a side outside the top 8 be considered a “good side”?

thebigredv

First Grade
Neither Seibold or McGregor deserve defending, They are not up to it. They've both fluked part of their coaching career and were unable to maintain results. Neither has taken a load of talented players to anything resembling success.

Case closed.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The big difference between McGregor and Seibold, could be seen last weekend.

Nothing more to he said really.

Reddragon

Bench
The difference in the media attention is that the Broncos are rated as a top side now failing badly.
The Dragons are now rated like Norths or Newtown in the old days. An odd good season but usually a bottom half of the table team.
McGregor's record of one semi-final victory in 7 seasons reinforces that impression.
The Dragons have suffered far longer than the Broncos.

SBD82

Coach
So you are saying Seibold is a worse coach than Mary cause Mary has been coaching for 6 years...and judging Seibold only after 2.5 years.....Ok then..tell me how does Mary's record put him ahead of Seibold....
Seibold has made semis both years he has coached.(Final 4 with Souths)...better than Mary thus far

And you are blaming him for recruitment / retention at the Broncos and the cap problems left by his predecessor
Diabolical..you must be referring to our side..surely.!
So who has Seibold let go that is so good and or not on their way out to pasture..
McGuire.. McCullogh....na....
I would concede probably should of kept Nikorima & Dargin as halves..but thats it

and what dud has he purchased with little cap room?
Croft did OK in Melbourne and is an Ok player to me...just like him and his team..not firing at the moment
Isaac Luke and Teo quick fix to plug a hole short term....yeh...but Jake Turpin is back soon so Luke wont last long

No doubting Boyd should have retired..but that was not Seibolds fault and there may be some substance to the rumour... that he was told not to drop him in his last year?
Milford no doubt is struggling..but he also struggled in 2018 under Wayne like others did as they jus made the semis and got caned by us

Geez the media were all over the Broncos after Round 2 as a potential Top 4 side...
did not see the bagging of him by the media nor on this site then either

But I agree with you in regards to how emotionally spent they look now but i put that down to the over the top media pressure and the fact unfairly they have had the knives out for Siebold waiting for a poor run of form because of the way Wayne departed and Seibold entered denying it all..and QLD wanted their favourite son Kevvie Walters to get the job
Seibold getting the job was just not a popular choice by the masses up of there of ex players, media and supporters..and he has been on a hiding to nothing from the time he started.

I will judge him with his full compliment of players and probably now next year when a stack of cap space is cleared out...
just my take
I’m not at all defending Mary, and I’m not sure saying that Seibold is a worse coach. What I’m saying is that Seibold doesn’t have runs on the board. I don’t think that a top 4 finish with a squad that he didn’t assemble is indicative of ability, especially when his roster management is demonstrably poor in the ensuing years.

Don’t get me wrong. Mary is awful and should never have been appointed coach. But at times he has assembled a squad that looked to have developed a great balance in its culture. Seibold hasn’t done that. He had a ready made leadership group at Souths with Sutton and Surgess. Letting go of so much experience and relying on Darbs and Milford as senior players is a recipe for disaster. I don’t think that McCullough and McGuire’s form is the only consideration. They would have brought something intangible to that pack that is low sorely missing. Perhaps they were the wrong players for the job but his recruitment doesn’t suggest that he is filling that need. I love Bully but he’s a cheeky bugger, not the sort of player to instill a hard edge in young players.

BLM01

First Grade
W
The difference in the media attention is that the Broncos are rated as a top side now failing badly.
The Dragons are now rated like Norths or Newtown in the old days. An odd good season but usually a bottom half of the table team.
McGregor's record of one semi-final victory in 7 seasons reinforces that impression.
The Dragons have suffered far longer than the Broncos.
well said
But I still reiterate the Broncos maybe playing badly ATM but they have not failed badly until we see where they finish this year
As I said before whatever year it was 15 or 20 years ago Wayne lost 8 games in a row but still managed to finish 8th
And I think they’ve done that a couple of times as well as had poor starts similar to Seibolds so I don’t get the “he can’t coach hate” just quite yet
And good point..how did St George Illawarra over the past decade let it self go from a powerhouse to the outhouse

BLM01

First Grade
No, I’m genuinely confused.

How can a side outside the top 8 be considered a “good side”?
Just like I don’t get how Broncos are in a much worse position than what we are, regarding your own selected words
Financially?
Ownership?
Share dividends?
Corporate sponsorship?
Membership?
Third Party potential?
Coach?
Players?
Team for 2021?
Football Dept?
CEO?
BOD?