What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 overrated players of all time?

King hit

Coach
Kalyn Ponga up there for today’s players. He could walk into a kindergarten and bash kids and the commentators would still drool over how great he is.

Sphagnum

Coach
Shitchell Piss, Darius Boyd, Dane gagai, Braith Anasta, Aaron woods, Tony Williams, vunivalu, Nufty, papenhuizen, Luke brooks, Ponga, Anthony tupou, shitrell shitchell, Milford etc

not many of you would have heard of him but Jason smith too.

and how can I forget Mbye. Gets paid more than most CEOs and is an absolute passenger. One of the worst ‘big name’ signings ever.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Reminder that Overrated does not mean bad. In fact even deservedly immortal level players can still be overrated.

My list

Jason Stevens
Sam Thaiday
Matt Gidley
Matt Gilett
Corey Parker
Stacey Jones
Sam Burgess
Jess Bromwich
Brent tate
Sonny Bill Williams

Currently (either through career or present form). Doesn’t mean bad players, just that I don’t think they are as good as many others believe..

Kalyn Ponga
Nathan Brown (Eels version)
Viliame Kikau
Paul Vaughan
Matt Moylan
Angus Chrichton
Dylan Napa
Reagan Campbell-Gillard
David Klemmer
Clint Gutherson

All time..

Jason King
John Sutton
Billy Moore
Corey Parker
Terry Hill
Sam Thaiday
Brad Meyers
Andrew Gee
Josh Perry
Will Chambers

Sphagnum

Coach
Reminder that Overrated does not mean bad. In fact even deservedly immortal level players can still be overrated.

My list

Jason Stevens
Sam Thaiday
Matt Gidley
Matt Gilett
Corey Parker
Stacey Jones
Sam Burgess
Jess Bromwich
Brent tate
Sonny Bill Williams
All really good players. I think you’re in the wrong thread mate.

Sphagnum

Coach

My list

Jason Stevens
Sam Thaiday
Matt Gidley
Matt Gilett
Corey Parker
Stacey Jones
Sam Burgess
Jess Bromwich
Brent tate
Sonny Bill Williams
The new forum troll who is significant magnitudes worse than the last. Every single one of those listed carried their team to a premiership.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
The new forum troll who is significant magnitudes worse than the last. Every single one of those listed carried their team to a premiership.

Jason Stevens, Matt Gillett and Stacey Jones never won a premiership.

Brent tate and Sam Thaiday didn't carry their teams to a premiership, if anyone in their team did it was Darren Lockyer.

Ditto Matt Gidley and Joey Johns.

Ditto Jesse Bromwich and the Big 3.

Again, overrated does not mean a player is bad. In fact If i named my all-time nrl team I'd consider Sam Burgess for a bench spot. Stacey Jones is a walk in starter on the best ever new Zealand team. Sbw probably makes that team to.

Maybe learn what overrated means before commentating.

TheDalek079

Bench
I agree with Dingo. SammyB at his peak was close to the best player in the world. He also had seasons when he wasnt even the best in his position. When I look at the hall of famers I see a list of players that league fans will tell their kids that they saw them play and how incredible they were. Many act like Sam is a future hall of famer, but really, outside of poms and souffs fans he'll be largely ignored by history

Sonny Bill. As a Roosters fan I will always sing his praises, but he played two seasons and gets into the NRL team of the decade.

I can see how Dingo reaches his conclusion that those players are overrated

Dingo_dan

Juniors
I agree with Dingo. SammyB at his peak was close to the best player in the world. He also had seasons when he wasnt even the best in his position. When I look at the hall of famers I see a list of players that league fans will tell their kids that they saw them play and how incredible they were. Many act like Sam is a future hall of famer, but really, outside of poms and souffs fans he'll be largely ignored by history

Sonny Bill. As a Roosters fan I will always sing his praises, but he played two seasons and gets into the NRL team of the decade.

I can see how Dingo reaches his conclusion that those players are overrated

Thank you for actually getting what overrated means. Your description of Sam Burgess is exactly why i put him the list.

SBW is always named as one of the greatest ever second rowers. But i just can't justify him being held in that regard. His Bulldogs days were filled with promise, but he never quite got there. His body of work at the bulldogs could probably compared with Kikaus current work at the Panthers. If Kikau retired today would we be considering him an immortal like we do with SBW. His Roosters return yielded one great season in 2013 and one ok season in 2014. The fact he never beat the Australian team in an era when New Zealand were equal to Australia says a lot.

Stacey Jones is talked about being in the same category as Johns, Lockyer and Fittler from his era. I always thought he was just a tier below that. Nowadays his talked as being the 'kiwi Joey' when imo he is more the 'kiwi Kimmorley"

Matt Gilett was talked about, especially by queenslanders, as by far the best second rower during his peak. It was talked about it being Gillett first, daylight second, all other second rowers. In his peak years of 2013-17 I thought Cordner was clearly better. And about ten or so second rowers were as good if not better. In that time you had Lewis, Graham, Frizelle, Cooper, Proctor, Harris, Hoffman, Scott, Bird, Yeo. It was a golden era for 2nd rowers.

Almost all my picks are like this. 9 I consider good players (Jason stevens was a plodder who literally walked into rep teams).