What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 overrated players of all time?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
these days...the Fox
Wingers are wingers, right? They shouldn't be paid mega bucks because their impact on the game is only what it's allowed to be. The Fox was a weapon at the end of a Storm backline. But at the Tigers and Dogs, his opportunities are limited. If I had a dollar for every winger who made a name for themselves on the end of a great backline, then went somewhere else and battled, gee I'd have at least a couple of hundred bucks. That's on the Dogs for overpaying for an asset they aren't capable of using effectively.

Best one I remember was Denan Kemp. Tries galore on the end of the chain from Lockyer, got to Auckland and we bombed to Manu at the end of every set. Caught a cold on the wing, and his career never recovered. Flying now, though. Wolfman was the same. Played Origin by virtue of being on the end of a dominant Manly backline.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Wingers are wingers, right? They shouldn't be paid mega bucks because their impact on the game is only what it's allowed to be. The Fox was a weapon at the end of a Storm backline. But at the Tigers and Dogs, his opportunities are limited. If I had a dollar for every winger who made a name for themselves on the end of a great backline, then went somewhere else and battled, gee I'd have at least a couple of hundred bucks. That's on the Dogs for overpaying for an asset they aren't capable of using effectively.

Best one I remember was Denan Kemp. Tries galore on the end of the chain from Lockyer, got to Auckland and we bombed to Manu at the end of every set. Caught a cold on the wing, and his career never recovered. Flying now, though. Wolfman was the same. Played Origin by virtue of being on the end of a dominant Manly backline.
Not to PENRITH! another thread but To'o is worth big dollars. 250m every week is pretty massive even if he didn't score a try all year

Valheru

Coach
Not to PENRITH! another thread but To'o is worth big dollars. 250m every week is pretty massive even if he didn't score a try all year
You have a point here.

Wingers that can finish are a dime a dozen these days, their true value is their run metres and the work they do from their own end. That is why a guy like Daniel Tupou who has the most metres for a winger this year thus far noting that To'o has been injured is worth every cent he gets paid. I still wouldn't be paying a winger $1M or anything silly like that but the highest valued ones IMO are the work horses and JAC isn't one of those.

You have a point here.

Wingers that can finish are a dime a dozen these days, their true value is their run metres and the work they do from their own end. That is why a guy like Daniel Tupou who has the most metres for a winger this year thus far noting that To'o has been injured is worth every cent he gets paid. I still wouldn't be paying a winger $1M or anything silly like that but the highest valued ones IMO are the work horses and JAC isn't one of those.

Indeed. Addo-Carr is more the old fashioned "finisher" type of winger needing someone to create space for him.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
You have a point here.

Yep, this is right. Those guys are extra props - big metre eaters. Tupou is also insanely good in the air, which adds an extra dimension.

The problem is that clubs like the Dogs pay overs for someone like JAC, who as flashy as he is, isn't a metre eater and won't do shit for you if you don't give him the space that someone like Melbourne afforded him. It's a wasted signing, really, unless you think he gives you considerable leadership.

The Storm blueprint under Bellamy has always had guys on the end of the chain who were good finishers, and really nothing else. Guys who picked up big contracts elsewhere but really were one dimensional. Duffie, Turner, Tonumaipea, JAC, Quinn, Jennings, Vunivalu, Koroibete, Waqa etc. Didn't clog the salary cap, did the job, then were let go when they wanted bigger $$

Addo Carr has committed career suicide, if your a winger you don't go to a shithouse team because lets face a winger can't do alot if the side sucks and his not a winger that comes in off the wing and makes 200 metres a game his too small.
I think that is all understood, but he has established himself at Origin level. As long as he continues to play well when given the chance in Origin (and the mighty Blues keep winning) he should continue to get picked due to incumbency.