What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 Vs Titans @Cbus Super Stadium - Sunday 26th July 4pm

martielang

Bench
Exactly this.

The team became better when Edwards came back, as clear as day. Why go back to a safe option when we have attacking options?

I still think Edwards is a lot better than many think & people tend to down play him especially in an argument like this when it suits one side to do so cough @franklin2323 cough. He's not Tedesco or Turbo, but I'd personally have him in the next tier for sure.

You know what you're going to get with Aekins. Nothing flash but reliable. We have a lot of rocks & diamond types in the side at the moment (due to age & inexperience), I personally don't think having a safe option is a negative at this time.

But I also get it, I wouldn't mind seeing Burton at fullback too, so I wouldn't be upset to see him get named there.

WestyLife

First Grade
There's a lot more to the fullback position than being flashy with the ball. I'm not saying you're overlooking it but many do on this forum. We now have strike pretty much across the field, which (IMO) allows Aekins to be a safe cog in the machine type player for us; catch the ball, run the ball. It doesn't disrupt our whole backline & if we need another ball player, get May on the field a little longer.

He never got the accolades for his positioning or defence because it's not highlight worthy, but then he drops a bomb & the carry on from some.... Meanwhile those same people will die on the cross for Naden when he makes an error or chooses to run 35m infield to tackle someone who isn't there, or when Crichton is out of position at the back which leads to a try...

Aekins deserves credit for the defensive side of the game.

It does look they are waiting for Burton to put some weight on before getting him into the starting side. It'd be much better to give him a game against the titans than Aekins who will only ever be a back up at the club.

franklin2323

Immortal
I still think Edwards is a lot better than many think & people tend to down play him especially in an argument like this when it suits one side to do so cough @franklin2323 cough. He's not Tedesco or Turbo, but I'd personally have him in the next tier for sure.

You know what you're going to get with Aekins. Nothing flash but reliable. We have a lot of rocks & diamond types in the side at the moment (due to age & inexperience), I personally don't think having a safe option is a negative at this time.

But I also get it, I wouldn't mind seeing Burton at fullback too, so I wouldn't be upset to see him get named there.

You know what you get with Aekins so can have him as the fall back should Burton or Crichton fail this week.

A fit Staines is back up anyway. So for me you pick the best 17 in those cases and fit them in how you can

Yeah, Edwards has impressed me recently. Not gonna lie. I’d rank him somewhere around the 6-8th best fullback.

Teddy
Turbo
RTS
Ponga
Gutherson

Are the top 5, but Edwards has a claim to 6th spot.

You know what you get with Aekins so can have him as the fall back should Burton or Crichton fail this week.

A fit Staines is back up anyway. So for me you pick the best 17 in those cases and fit them in how you can

I like the idea of picking Aekins on the wing. If Burton really stuffs up you could just swap them. I’m confident he won’t, though.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have no idea how Dane Laurie has been training but I rate him as highly in ability as Staines even allowing for the fact they are different style of players. Laurie is more Ponga in style.

Really no idea which way Ivan will go although I would be comfortable with the safety first option in Aekins at fullback.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’m not sure Bryce will even be in the Titans 17 and even if he is he hasn’t carved anyone up since he has been at the Titans and wouldn’t present any threat to us even allowing for the fact we are down on troops at present.

The yak

Juniors
Yesterday was performance was a little disappointing. Bombed a few tries with impatience and didn't take the Cows seriously.
I hope the same mistake isn't made this week.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Wouldn't shock me if Daine Laurie doesn't come in as Fullback.

Naden to centre and MWZ on the wing until Staines can come back.

I have no inside information but as Kath out of Kath and Kim used to say 'I have a feeling in my waters'........

maple_69

Bench
I don’t mind if Burton isn’t at fullback, but I want him to be in the 17 and with good minutes. Assuming we are in control of the game by half time it’s the perfect opportunity to give Cleary, Tamou, Kikau some light minutes and give Burton/May/Leniu more prominent roles.

Flashstep

Juniors
I have been down on the idea of Burton at fullback but I think a game against the Gold Coast with numerous backline injuries is the perfect time to give him a crack at it. Even if he can’t handle it Cleary could always move Chrichton back to fullback and put Burton in the centres.

The_Frog

First Grade
Talk on both NRL360 and 100% Footy that Burton may be Bulldogs bound, even though he is under contract until 2021. Let us hope it is just media putting 2 and 2 together and getting 6 as they will do.

I have been down on the idea of Burton at fullback but I think a game against the Gold Coast with numerous backline injuries is the perfect time to give him a crack at it. Even if he can’t handle it Cleary could always move Chrichton back to fullback and put Burton in the centres.

Sincere question, why are you down on the idea? Don’t think he’s suited to the position, or not enough experience?

BxTom

Bench
Talk on both NRL360 and 100% Footy that Burton may be Bulldogs bound, even though he is under contract until 2021. Let us hope it is just media putting 2 and 2 together and getting 6 as they will do.
I think that if there is any reality behind this, panthers management would have put Barrett on immediate gardening leave already.

Flashstep

Juniors
Sincere question, why are you down on the idea? Don’t think he’s suited to the position, or not enough experience?

I think he has the right skill set to play the position in attack, just worried about if he can handle the defensive side of it. Lack of experience also worries me a bit but it it wouldn’t surprise me if he can handle it well.

Fangs

Coach
1. Aiken
2. Mansour
3. Crichton
4. Naden
5. MWZ

All safe picks and the way I think Cleary will go. Potentially May at centre which lets Burton play from the bench.

I think if Burton were a genuine chance to play centre/fullback then he would have played there by now. Opportunities have been available from round 1 and he was still riding the pine on the bench.