What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

I’ve only been to one afl match and that was Collingwood vs Richmond at the g in 2018, regular season match but man it had a vibe even in the nosebleeds where I got seats (I managed to swindle my way down to three rows from the boundary, I can’t remember how I managed to pull that off) but it just blew me away that every afl game exceeds nrl attendances. It is a religion past the barassi line and there’s enough population for the nsw/qld sides to get decent attendances. Why do nrl fans not like going to the games

From the very beginning, VFL didn’t have the class divide. From poor schools to private. From blue collar to white. Everyone’s becomes a part of it and it gets ingrained into the culture which builds year on year. Meanwhile the rugby codes remain divided. Plus as has been discussed here numerous times, it’s easier getting around Melbourne than in Sydney at least. Because the top end of town loved it, they got the corporate dollar early on to market themselves better before there were other sports to compete against unlike now. I’ll admit I’m jealous. I’ve worked in Melbourne a number of times and everyone in the office including women, are banging on about the draft or are involved in the tipping comp. You feel like you’re missing out. People ask you who you barrack when you’re introduced. Storm are up against that and should be commended for what they’ve done thus far.

Nqcowboy

Juniors
Yeah I did notice that when I was down there even artsy hipsters had a team and had basic knowledge of the game. Plus melbournes grid system makes it piss easy to come in from central if you’re coming in from ballarat

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
To be fair, he did say "it would be the perfect PLACE for a stadium", not "it IS the perfect stadium".. why not a new boutique rectangular stadium *next to* North Sydney Oval - for use by league, union & soccer?

Then you'd have the core of a decent sports hub for ALL residents north of the harbour.

Got about $167 m for the land mate ?

Jamberoo

Juniors
That comes down to the size of your ambition. TBh if 18k is the max of ambition and all we think we can attract to games then the game is going to fall a long way behind AFL in the race to become the number 1 winter footy code. There are numerous reasons why NRL crowds are pretty avg and havent changed for decades and until each one gets addressed then we wont see the type of revenue we see AFL clubs being able to generate. The game limps along despite huge TV deals, largely as we dont engage the fanbase that is out there to be active participants in supporting their clubs. The goal should be 30k stadiums and 20 k avg's. That isnt unreasonable or unachievable. No doubt Eels would have got there this year with Bankwest. Partly as they have extra capacity and can offer great membership deals.

An 18k Shark park or panthers ground or Brookvale is only ever going to avg 14-15k, even with more seats and roofs. There is no sign in NRL that ltd. capacity is driving memberships at any club.

Eagles have sold every ticketed membership available for Optus and still have 9 thousand people waiting for one, and 80k would have delivered them even more revenue!

Dockers never sold out Subi memberships yet the move to bigger capacity Optus has seen their memberships go over 50k!
The ambition should not be to compete with AFL crowds. That will never happen. The ambition should be to have a strong, passionate and engaged supporter base. If that means 15k at a packed suburban stadium and the rest watching it on TV then so be it. Reward the 15k diehards each club has with better facilities.
TV ratings have always been virtually the same as AFL (until this season anyway), and the majority of cash comes from media rights so the ambition should be to protect and grow that.

(also an 80k Optus stadium would be crap - way to big for any events besides West Coast matches. It is the perfect size).

mongoose

Coach
I used to be for centralised stadium model in Sydney but I have been swayed back to suburban grounds. If anything it's a great point of difference to what the AFL does. Yes they enjoy huge crowds at most games in Melbourne but playing out of the same 2 stadiums means it's not a true home and away competition. Brookvale, Kogarah, Shark Park etc are antiquated but it adds another interesting variable to the season playing at these grounds.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Realistically the grounds like windy Hill, ardent at Victoria Park etc are broken down old dumps.. that make Brookvale look like the Taj Mahal.. AFL really had no choice to move to centralised model ,

Quicksilver

Bench
I used to be for centralised stadium model in Sydney but I have been swayed back to suburban grounds. If anything it's a great point of difference to what the AFL does. Yes they enjoy huge crowds at most games in Melbourne but playing out of the same 2 stadiums means it's not a true home and away competition. Brookvale, Kogarah, Shark Park etc are antiquated but it adds another interesting variable to the season playing at these grounds.

The thing is though, Shark Park isn’t really antiquated. Neither is Kogarah. They are built out of concrete, like new stadiums. They have single plastic seats like new stadiums, they have partial roofing and multiple big screens. It’s not like people are sitting on timber bench seats in timber stands with posts in the way.

concrete construction is built to last. outdated elements can be updated as necessary. This type of construction is designed for a long lifespan. Like 100 years.

Its not an 1800s experience going to any of these venues. It’s not like you’re made to shit in a hole or wade in sewage like a leper.

At some point people have got far to carried away with their harsh critiques of these places. At the end of the day it’s still quite a pleasant outing.

Nqcowboy

Juniors
The thing is though, Shark Park isn’t really antiquated. Neither is Kogarah. They are built out of concrete, like new stadiums. They have single plastic seats like new stadiums, they have partial roofing and multiple big screens. It’s not like people are sitting on timber bench seats in timber stands with posts in the way.

concrete construction is built to last. outdated elements can be updated as necessary. This type of construction is designed for a long lifespan. Like 100 years.

Its not an 1800s experience going to any of these venues. It’s not like you’re made to shit in a hole or wade in sewage like a leper.

At some point people have got far to carried away with their harsh critiques of these places. At the end of the day it’s still quite a pleasant outing.
Honestly one of my only gripes with Leichhardt (apart from parking but most suburban grounds have that issue) is they need to take a guerney to the latchem Robinson stand and then maybe render it. The mould buildup kind of makes it look shitty

mave

Coach

Have you used the dunnies at the far end of Leichardt Oval ? They have a real 1800's vibe about them.
Stepping over a trough to get to another trough is a nice feature.

Quicksilver

Bench
Have you used the dunnies at the far end of Leichardt Oval ? They have a real 1800's vibe about them.
Stepping over a trough to get to another trough is a nice feature.

yes I have. I don’t know if I’ve been to the Dunny you’re referring to though, because the one I visited was just a regular public toilet. I wouldn’t want it in my home- but it was an adequate public toilet.

secondly, there is quite a variation in quality between all these grounds that get broadly classified as “suburban”. Leichhardt isn’t a full time home for any club at the moment. It is only used a handful of times per year (because people love it). This venue is not to the same standard as the full time grounds like Shark Park or Panther Park.

yes I have. I don’t know if I’ve been to the Dunny you’re referring to though, because the one I visited was just a regular public toilet. I wouldn’t want it in my home- but it was an adequate public toilet.

secondly, there is quite a variation in quality between all these grounds that get broadly classified as “suburban”. Leichhardt isn’t a full time home for any club at the moment. It is only used a handful of times per year (because people love it). This venue is not to the same standard as the full time grounds like Shark Park or Panther Park.

The dunnies in Henson dressing sheds are antiquated but didn’t stop Singo replicating them for his home. Mate of mine’s dad is good mates with Singo and told me (think it was during his 4th marriage) that he and his missus agreed to have seperate en-suites so Singo goes on to rebuild the dressing sheds with stand up urinals and jerseys hanging above bench seats. He even replicated the graffiti on the lockers. No detail spared. The marriage didn’t last of course.

Nqcowboy

Juniors
The dunnies in Henson dressing sheds are antiquated but didn’t stop Singo replicating them for his home. Mate of mine’s dad is good mates with Singo and told me (think it was during his 4th marriage) that he and his missus agreed to have seperate en-suites so Singo goes on to rebuild the dressing sheds with stand up urinals and jerseys hanging above bench seats. He even replicated the graffiti on the lockers. No detail spared. The marriage didn’t last of course.
That’s so cooked, I love it hah

Perth Red

Post Whore
The ambition should not be to compete with AFL crowds. That will never happen. The ambition should be to have a strong, passionate and engaged supporter base. If that means 15k at a packed suburban stadium and the rest watching it on TV then so be it. Reward the 15k diehards each club has with better facilities.
TV ratings have always been virtually the same as AFL (until this season anyway), and the majority of cash comes from media rights so the ambition should be to protect and grow that.

(also an 80k Optus stadium would be crap - way to big for any events besides West Coast matches. It is the perfect size).

Its not, it’s to have 20k avgS, which will require decent 30k stadiums.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/lo...-same-cloth-says-fittler-20200725-p55fha.html

Fear of Todd
The rugby league community is keeping a close eye on where former NRL boss Todd Greenberg's next job. Not because there is a great love for Greenberg among the clubs or at head office, but because he may still have a big impact on the game.

Greenberg’s name is being linked with just about every senior sporting administration role that becomes vacant. He would dearly love to take over as chief executive of Cricket Australia.
Greenberg has a background in cricket, playing first grade in Sydney where he was renowned as someone who occupied the crease for long periods without actually putting many runs on the board.

Some would say he had a similar reputation at the NRL. He is considered unlikely to be seriously considered for the cricket role.

When Greenberg was seen having a coffee with former Rugby Australia boss Raelene Castle recently it was speculated that he might want to succeed her in Australian sport’s most difficult role. But it is understood he was just catching up with Castle and is not likely to seek that job either.

The most likely option is a role with the agency being set up by the state government to run all major NSW stadiums. And that is why the NRL is holding its breath.

As this column revealed a couple of weeks ago, it was initially thought Greenberg would be given a position on the board of the new super body.
He has the credentials, given he has previously been general manager of Stadium Australia (ANZ). However, there is a growing belief he will be appointed CEO, giving him sweeping powers over the main venues used by rugby league. That includes ANZ Stadium, the new Moore Park stadium, Bankwest at Parramatta and the league stadiums in Newcastle and Wollongong.

Although he fell out with ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys, Greenberg is a professional operator who wouldn’t let that cloud his judgment. However, he and V’landys have totally different views on how money should be spent on upgrading stadiums.

Greenberg oversaw a policy that favoured a few world-class venues with huge capacity, such as the Olympic Stadium. V’landys wants to build a network of small boutique grounds in places such as Leichhardt, Cronulla and Brookvale. V’landys argues that full stadiums look better on TV and will bring home-ground tribalism back to the game.

Latest posts