What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs Sharks

Dragon David

First Grade
All true. The only consolation today is that win or lose, we don't have a serious shot at this premiership, and that's what it is all about.

We would have beaten the Sharks with 5 more minutes. They won't be there come finals time on that showing.
You are correct in saying that the Sharks won't be there come finals time. A team getting flogged by 50 or more points like they have had done to them by the Panthers in round 9 in general means that they are not good enough. Just like the other teams being flogged by 50+. We needed another set I reckon and we would have beaten them. After our first try and then the debacle of the decision to award the Sharks their first try, the Sharks just had too much possession and had much of the hard running in because of all of the 6 again assists.

Again I stress that we need bigger and stronger mongrel forwards. The current ones, including Vaughn, are just not big enough. You have got to have men hitting very hard in attack and defence that's the only way and then the backs cvan do their work. We have got the basics now we need the POWER.

You are correct in saying that the Sharks won't be there come finals time. A team getting flogged by 50 or more points like they have had done to them by the Panthers in round 9 in general means that they are not good enough. Just like the other teams being flogged by 50+. We needed another set I reckon and we would have beaten them. After our first try and then the debacle of the decision to award the Sharks their first try, the Sharks just had too much possession and had much of the hard running in because of all of the 6 again assists.

Again I stress that we need bigger and stronger mongrel forwards. The current ones, including Vaughn, are just not big enough. You have got to have men hitting very hard in attack and defence that's the only way and then the backs cvan do their work. We have got the basics now we need the POWER.
Send Vaughn to the Sharks. We’d gladly gave him!

thebigredv

First Grade

Absolutely, and the shame is no one of worth wishes to join our club or coach. That's where we are at. Look at all the action around the place and we land a player who probably won't get a run. Blacker just sits there with no opportunity. Lawrie doesn't have an offload in him.

Dragsters

First Grade
They are given so randomly, and as you say in quick succession, there is no way of refs being held to account. It was fun at first, but now its so arbitrary.

True, it is so arbitrary.

Nrl need to develop a system where the ref has to make a verbal call over the mic and the bunker or the TV director then hit a button that displays the reason on a ticker notification on screen.

At least then the viewer is kept informed, as at present it's just a scratch of the head as the game rolls on.

I think the rule has its benefits but as a viewer I want to know what I am watching and understand the ebbs and flows of the match.

At present I feel out of the loop and a bit like a mushroom...

Spazer

Juniors
You can sometimes hear the ref explain the decision of a set restart over the mic, and other times they just give set restarts with no ruling or explanation whatsoever.

We have these soft periods in games where we give away set restarts over and over such as games against Roosters, Bulldogs and now cronulla and it really kills our momentum. Then we have the last 20 mins of games where we score well and defend great. I think it's something like 56 points to 0 in the last 20.

We can't play for the full 80

jeffdragon

Bench
Ramien try was denied by the obsruction rule.
There is a rule in place
Dufty got his hand to the ball to ground it.
That is not in the same ball park.
And John Morris is a dickhead saying what goes around comes around.
If the shoe was on the other foot, We would see how he reacts.
Take that pumpkin of your head John Morris.

Walpole

Juniors

We don't necessarily need huge blokes but they have to be tough. Look at the pack when we last won a comp. Costigan, Smith, Scott were not big by comparison to a lot of teams but they scared the shit out of them.

Dragon David

First Grade
Is there some stat on which teams are giving away most reset / 6 again. Surely we would have to be one of the worst and it’s killing us with heaps more tackles. I don’t like the rule, as half the time you can see or hear the reason for it in first place..
And as posted elsewhere our goal line defence is woeful.
Surely the boys would be drilled time and time again on being effective with tackles but at the same time releasing quickly while others get back in time for the next raid. They have got to try and not give 6 agains, ok maybe 1 but that's it.

Our guys need to be more physical even though they are not the biggest compared to several other teams. Going to be hard for us to match a team like the Eels and the Storm with their big men hitting us down the middle and edges.

Dragon David

First Grade
The 6 agains given against us late in the tackle count have cost us 4 competition points this year.
I hate this rule. It gives the refs so much power, they can just blow set restart whenever they want with no need to explain themselves. They can change the momentum of a game. It leaves them open to corruption and a real target for illegal betting.
We had them in that first 15 minutes then the refs just went bang bang bang and gave Cronulla set restarts until they scored.
I'd rather a penalty be blown. At least then there is a replay and the refs are accountable.
Set restart no replay, no reason, no worries.
It stinks.
All i am hoping for is that with these set restarts against us, our coaching staff keeps whinging about how unfair we have copped it and balance things out next game. I have mentioned that our guys need constant training in drills to tackle effectively and then release quickly. Maybe count to 3. Also, try not to push the other player down when he is attempting to get up to play the ball. All comes with drill after drill.

Gareth67

First Grade
We don't necessarily need huge blokes but they have to be tough. Look at the pack when we last won a comp. Costigan, Smith, Scott were not big by comparison to a lot of teams but they scared the shit out of them.

Yes they were a all tough boys , I particularly enjoyed watching Costigan tackling , they would stay down after he had hammered them .

Dragon David

First Grade
Send Vaughn to the Sharks. We’d gladly gave him!
Yes I bet you would be glad and maybe some of the others. No, you have got more than your share of the big ones including Fifita who didn't play yesterday and if you did have him on the field yesterday with Moylan and Dugan, the score could have been a lot worse for us.

Dragon David

First Grade
Absolutely, and the shame is no one of worth wishes to join our club or coach. That's where we are at. Look at all the action around the place and we land a player who probably won't get a run. Blacker just sits there with no opportunity. Lawrie doesn't have an offload in him.
We now have the opportunity to try many of the players sitting out. Give them a chance and see how they go. Again, nothing to lose but plenty of knowledge to be gained.

Yes I bet you would be glad and maybe some of the others. No, you have got more than your share of the big ones including Fifita who didn't play yesterday and if you did have him on the field yesterday with Moylan and Dugan, the score could have been a lot worse for us.
Even though he played well yesterday, Sharon is one of the most frustrating and annoying front towers I’ve ever seen. I’d be fine with him going!