What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9th Immortal

Knight Vision

First Grade
He was never made Australian captain because of his antics.

But other than that weight loss tablet ban and acting like a bogan, what were his degrading and disgusting indiscretions?
wow we have a saint on the forum. How I'd love to be holier than thou like you Sir.

Knight Vision

First Grade
with these new rules and criteria, it will be 2 decades at least before smith/thurston/lockyer and co get even a sniff of being near joey's status.
and rightly so. They arent in the same post code. Good players u bet, great players yeh sure. Immortals lol

blue bags

First Grade
Thorn’s assessment of Langer hits the nail on the head when you consider all his teammates speak of the surety they had when he was on the field - that the game would be won and that the No.7 would be the catalyst; they didn’t call him "the money man" for nothing.

The arguments against Langer’s Immortal claims seem to always hinge on his 24-game Test career. He was overlooked for Ricky Stuart for Australia in the 1994 Ashes series, some say.

Dig deeper and several of the current Immortals have occasionally been on the outer with representative selectors or shifted to another position for the sheer balance of a team been. Andrew Johns played hooker for Australia in 10 of his 23 Tests, and in two of those matches Langer was preferred at halfback. Mal Meninga played two Tests off the bench and one in the second-row in the Ashes series of 1986. Arthur Beetson spent time in reserve grade at the end of his career. None of those circumstances detract from the stellar careers of those Immortals.

Maroons legend Gene Miles makes another observation about Langer’s greatness when he points to two rules being changed because of his influence.

Queensland immortal
remote.axd

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/03/20/is-it-time-for-allan-langer-to-be-made-an-immortal/

King hit

Coach
Don’t understand why people get so driven to name players immortals. Even the players themselves aren’t begging for it anyway and aren’t bothered if they are or not. They don’t need it to cement their status as greats. There are lots of great players who aren’t immortals but they will always be remembered as greats by everybody.

Being immortal would be the last thing Langer would be thinking about now. He has much more serious things to deal with.

I think we should be treating retired players like records. First album I ever bought was Sherbet’s ‘Howzat’. Thought it was the coolest album of all time and I’ll play it for ever but now sits at the back of the collection gathering mould and dust only for my mates to take it out occasionally for laughs at my expense. Stones ‘Exile on Main Street’ for example, still gets a play nearly fifty years on. It’s a classic album. Judge the player after period of time when many greats have come and gone. Does a memory of one player’s feats outlast another? Always thought Goey Johns was immortalised way too early. Not saying he’s a Howzat or a Disco Duck and most very likely a Nevermind but time is a great judge.

Gentlemen, for your consideration. Coote, Kenny, Sterling.

Don’t understand why people get so driven to name players immortals. Even the players themselves aren’t begging for it anyway and aren’t bothered if they are or not. They don’t need it to cement their status as greats. There are lots of great players who aren’t immortals but they will always be remembered as greats by everybody.

Being immortal would be the last thing Langer would be thinking about now. He has much more serious things to deal with.

Yeah! That water isn't gonna run itself onto the field

Incorrect

Coach
I think we should be treating retired players like records. First album I ever bought was Sherbet’s ‘Howzat’. Thought it was the coolest album of all time and I’ll play it for ever but now sits at the back of the collection gathering mould and dust only for my mates to take it out occasionally for laughs at my expense. Stones ‘Exile on Main Street’ for example, still gets a play nearly fifty years on. It’s a classic album. Judge the player after period of time when many greats have come and gone. Does a memory of one player’s feats outlast another? Always thought Goey Johns was immortalised way too early. Not saying he’s a Howzat or a Disco Duck and most very likely a Nevermind but time is a great judge.

The more I ponder these days, Ray Price would be ahead of Kenny and Sterling were I to choose a nominee from that era where Parra made, what, 7 out 10 GF' s in the late 70's early 80's. Price's influence cannot be undersold. We'd won nothing until he arrived and have won nothing since he departed...

The more I ponder these days, Ray Price would be ahead of Kenny and Sterling were I to choose a nominee from that era where Parra made, what, 7 out 10 GF' s in the late 70's early 80's. Price's influence cannot be undersold. We'd won nothing until he arrived and have won nothing since he departed...

Good point. Has he ever been in the conversation?

Canard

Immortal

I thought Coote was a vital part of the 2015 Cowboys premiership, but immortal...............

blue bags

First Grade
for sure, top of the list , ray