What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THE CHAMP

First Grade
They let go of Kane Evans, Aidan Guerra, Connor Watson, Liam Knight and released Paul Carter before 2018 which might be why we could afford Teddy? Pearce would’ve been a like-for-like swap with Cronk? And we didn’t cave in to Latrell’s pay demands for this year. But you’re right. Roosters would’ve gotten away with it if not for a bunch of plucky, diligent LU posters.

You could successfully defend a serial axe murderer with this crap well done

Valheru

Coach
Does anyone, including Roosters fans, believe that they are operating a few hundred thousand dollars under the cap this season?

Complete horeshit.

I dont know.

Perhaps you could provide a breakdown of what each player is paid at the roosters.

Those are always my favourite posts.

aqua_duck

Coach
Not trying to have a dig which seems to be the theme of this thread. To me, market value should be determined by what a player is willing to play for. If he wants to come back and play for the Roosters for a pie and a coke after the game, he should be allowed, provided he's not also getting a $600,000 City Ford marketing deal. My question is how the NRL arbitrarily comes up with this $400,000 market value when the bloke is a known mercenary, and would never in a million years play for that amount
The rule is in place to stop those dodgy TPA's you're talking about and in the case of Folau's parra deal ridiculous backloading of contracts. The values they come up with are always minimums rather than what the gold coast titans might pay for that player

Game_Breaker

Coach
With the greatest of respect are you thick? He signed a contract where his salary was completely cap exempt and under circumstances where he had to relocate to the other side of the world, in any case like I said before market value isn't based on what a team pays for you in a completely different market with a different salary cap structure, it's based on what a NRL club would pay for a player of similar ability.
As for Folau, do I really need to explain the differences in the 2 cases?

I don't give a f**k if it's exempt
They still valued him at that amount

All you're doing is justifying why it should be completely ignored. He's still playing the same sport

Folau was going to sign for the Eels from completely different sport

Game_Breaker

Coach
If we’re treating SBW’s Toronto deal as his genuine market value, then his NRL career is over as no one, including Warriors, could fit him in.

I'm not saying the Toronto deal is his market value, they paid overs for him
But what it does do is drive up his market value because we know what they believe his market value is
$400K is under his market value

I'm not saying the Toronto deal is his market value, they paid overs for him
But what it does do is drive up his market value because we know what they believe his market value is
$400K is under his market value

Bollox. If you a paying a 34 year old second rower more than $400K then it just says the club doing that is rather foolish and has/will have salary cap problems.

Quicksilver

Bench
Which top level player with similar marketability was putting their hand up to move to Canada?
This is what so many people cannot grasp, he's not paid $5 mil a year for his playing ability alone, he's being paid that mainly for marketability and promotional value. Canada is an entirely new market, they needed a marquee player who could create some type. You have to remember union is way more popular in Canada and with SBW being a former all black he was in a unique position to bring over those union fans

No one in Canada knows who he is. They could have told them Leutele is the best player in the world. He did win the comp with his tackle.

Still doesn’t explain the price tag, other than they talked it up for publicity. Would have got him for half that easily.

Anyway, do Aussie clubs get a cap discount for marketability of players? Cronulla should apply for $700k off Moylan’s cap space because he’s a good looking fella with blonde hair. The women love him.