What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bawww.... poor little roosters, you cant help but feel sorry for them.... only having a $7.8 billion salary cap.... how will they buy world class players now!!?? they may have to ease up with the world class players....
who says money cant buy premierships.... I woulda had no complaints if he joined an already struggling team like the warriors, that woulda made more sense!

aqua_duck

Coach
No one in Canada knows who he is. They could have told them Leutele is the best player in the world. He did win the comp with his tackle.

Still doesn’t explain the price tag, other than they talked it up for publicity. Would have got him for half that easily.

Anyway, do Aussie clubs get a cap discount for marketability of players? Cronulla should apply for $700k off Moylan’s cap space because he’s a good looking fella with blonde hair. The women love him.
I really don't understand the point you're making, the super league has a built in marquee player exemption, it's not a cap discount as you're suggesting. Also I wasn't aware you surveyed every one in Canada, for the record the Canadian rugby union team attracted a crowd of 30,000 when they played the Maori all blacks 2 years ago so there is a bit of a rugby union following in the country, you could tell them Ricky Leutele is the goat but a 2 second Wikipedia search would burst that bubble where as SBW was a high profile all black so those rugby fans who you want to convert actually know who he is.

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't give a f**k if it's exempt
They still valued him at that amount

All you're doing is justifying why it should be completely ignored. He's still playing the same sport

Folau was going to sign for the Eels from completely different sport
You obviously have no ****** clue about the ins and outs of the Folau deal, Folau was going to sign a 2 year deal with ridiculous backloading where he was going to get $100k the 1st year and like $800k the 2nd year, it's a completely different kettle of fish. I think at this point there's no point trying to talk sense into you because you'd likely just change your position or purposely let the facts go over your head as you've done this entire thread

Quicksilver

Bench
I really don't understand the point you're making, the super league has a built in marquee player exemption, it's not a cap discount as you're suggesting. Also I wasn't aware you surveyed every one in Canada, for the record the Canadian rugby union team attracted a crowd of 30,000 when they played the Maori all blacks 2 years ago so there is a bit of a rugby union following in the country, you could tell them Ricky Leutele is the goat but a 2 second Wikipedia search would burst that bubble where as SBW was a high profile all black so those rugby fans who you want to convert actually know who he is.

so he’s worth $5mil in a non-Rugby League (and if you’re truthful a non-rugby) market but $400k in a strong rugby league and rugby market.

makes sense. Some drawcard.

It’ll be interesting to see what his value on Super Coach will be when he becomes available. Maybe they should set player values. It’ll make the game more realistic too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is he going to sell more tickets? No.
Is he going to sell more corporate boxes? No.
Is he going to be outstanding on the pitch and boost roosters premiership Chances? Not of what we’ve seen is anything to go by.
Personally I find it amusing that the roosters, who required $1.6million of LC funding last year that could have gone to grass roots rugby league, are going to waste So much money on him.

aqua_duck

Coach
so he’s worth $5mil in a non-Rugby League (and if you’re truthful a non-rugby) market but $400k in a strong rugby league and rugby market.

makes sense. Some drawcard.
He's not worth $5 mil in any market but if that's the price they needed to pay to get him then so be it and as I've mentioned a thousand times his salary was 100% cap exempt. At the end of the day if a group of very wealthy owners want to build the sport in a new market and are willing go spend their money to do that then I'm not sure why you're so butt hurt.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
He is a capitalist, that is ok.

I cannot help but laugh, it matters who pays.

Yeah take that high ground.

lol

Victorian kiwi - (the ones who disgust you)

He's not worth $5 mil in any market but if that's the price they needed to pay to get him then so be it and as I've mentioned a thousand times his salary was 100% cap exempt. At the end of the day if a group of very wealthy owners want to build the sport in a new market and are willing go spend their money to do that then I'm not sure why you're so butt hurt.
He is if someone is willing to pay it.

Game_Breaker

Coach
You obviously have no ****** clue about the ins and outs of the Folau deal, Folau was going to sign a 2 year deal with ridiculous backloading where he was going to get $100k the 1st year and like $800k the 2nd year, it's a completely different kettle of fish. I think at this point there's no point trying to talk sense into you because you'd likely just change your position or purposely let the facts go over your head as you've done this entire thread

Stop talking bullshit, I haven't changed my position. Is misrepresenting people the only trick you know?

Your entire argument is based on ignoring a current contract and why it should be ignored.
This is also against the rules, you can't have more than one contract. Another fact gone over your head

Danish

Referee
I reckon Sonny must have given Game Breaker's missus the Candice treatment at some point.

This level of anger can't possibly be just over a 35 year old bloke making $200K for 6 games coming off the bench

Valheru

Coach
Is he going to be outstanding on the pitch and boost roosters premiership Chances? Not of what we’ve seen is anything to go by.
Personally I find it amusing that the roosters, who required $1.6million of LC funding last year that could have gone to grass roots rugby league, are going to waste So much money on him.

So if it is such a poor piece of business by the roosters why are you whinging so much?

Think the Roosters have done pretty well without your advice so far.

betcats

Referee
I reckon Sonny must have given Game Breaker's missus the Candice treatment at some point.

This level of anger can't possibly be just over a 35 year old bloke making $200K for 6 games coming off the bench

It annoying you are getting an exemption to sign another player tbh. f**kin rorters.

moffla

Bench
Bawww.... poor little roosters, you cant help but feel sorry for them.... only having a $7.8 billion salary cap.... how will they buy world class players now!!?? they may have to ease up with the world class players....
who says money cant buy premierships.... I woulda had no complaints if he joined an already struggling team like the warriors, that woulda made more sense!
Would have literally made zero sense joining a team who won’t make finals to be honest

Would have literally made zero sense joining a team who won’t make finals to be honest

Exactly. It was what I was getting at up thread. What player in the relative twilight of his sporting career is going to join a team for about 6-8 weeks where they are not in the playoff race and the team is anchored to the foot of the ladder? If it was the Roosters at the foot of the ladder, he would not have considered joining us as he knows he'd just be getting smashed up for no real reason with no real payoff.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Reserve All Black.

fvkin0eE.jpeg

Latest posts