What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2020 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Reflector

Juniors
I understand your view. While I hate any box sponsor, in “defence” of a white one is that white is a neutral colour and won’t clash with anything. NIB green clashes horrifically with the blues of the Knights and NSW jerseys. Granted, they would pumped great sponsorship dollars into the game but geez, I can’t think of a bigger eyesore on a jersey in the modern era.

NIB is the gold medal “yuck sponsor”.

A list of Yuck sponsors... those whose branding looks awful on the jersey canvas - thus ruining the jersey - are..

Raiders - Dare Iced Coffee (brown on green)
Dragons - Modus (Blue on a dragons jersey is just wrong)
Sea Eagles - URM (odd blue and black blocks)
Sharks - TFH (yellow block sleeve, doesn’t work on many jerseys)
Knights - NIB and McDonnell Jones (so many colours and shapes, the whole thing looks like an Andy Warhol experiment)
Broncos - Ladbrokes and National Storage (Bad bumper stickers)
Titans - NEDS (orange block) Orange does integrate ok with the Blues of the Titans but the block is just rude..

NSW Blues - NIB again (anything green on the NSW jersey is horrific..)

I'd argue the Raiders have the ugliest jersey, sponsor-wise. Literally every sponsor they have is an imposing eyesore with colours that clash with the Raiders' uniform. The fact you can have 4 colours (lime green/ yellow/ white/ blue) in your brand and still manage to find not one- but THREE- sponsors that completely clash with all of these- on the same jersey at the same time- is amazing:

ITP- I'm not convinced sternum sponsorships give decent ROI's, otherwise you wouldn't see companies coming and going so frequently after a single season. The ITP logo is this yellow, pasted-on looking box taking up more space on an already crowded-looking jersey (which is crowded largely because of their major sponsor)

Huwaei- this logo is ugly regardless (having the gradient effect on a logo is so dated), then you've got that massive red flower pattern that clashes with all 4 of the Raiders' colours and looks as if it takes up half the jersey. It's a complete eye sore that is literally 80% of the reason the Raiders' kit looks way too busy and crowded

Dare Iced Coffee- the logo is an odd shape and then is in shades of brown which (again) completely contrasts with the Raiders main colours.

The irony is, while NIB gets panned for their placement on the Knights jersey, their sponsors logo would work so much better as the Raiders' major sponsor provided they blended the green background with the Raiders' green

CheyneGN13

Juniors
Does anyone know if the new Bulldogs sponsor will be incorporated onto their jerseys this week, seeing as though it’s Indigenous Round it’ll be interesting to see how the sponsor ruins the centrepiece art of the jersey

Nqcowboy

Juniors
I'd argue the Raiders have the ugliest jersey, sponsor-wise. Literally every sponsor they have is an imposing eyesore with colours that clash with the Raiders' uniform. The fact you can have 4 colours (lime green/ yellow/ white/ blue) in your brand and still manage to find not one- but THREE- sponsors that completely clash with all of these- on the same jersey at the same time- is amazing:

ITP- I'm not convinced sternum sponsorships give decent ROI's, otherwise you wouldn't see companies coming and going so frequently after a single season. The ITP logo is this yellow, pasted-on looking box taking up more space on an already crowded-looking jersey (which is crowded largely because of their major sponsor)

Huwaei- this logo is ugly regardless (having the gradient effect on a logo is so dated), then you've got that massive red flower pattern that clashes with all 4 of the Raiders' colours and looks as if it takes up half the jersey. It's a complete eye sore that is literally 80% of the reason the Raiders' kit looks way too busy and crowded

Dare Iced Coffee- the logo is an odd shape and then is in shades of brown which (again) completely contrasts with the Raiders main colours.

The irony is, while NIB gets panned for their placement on the Knights jersey, their sponsors logo would work so much better as the Raiders' major sponsor provided they blended the green background with the Raiders' green
I don’t see a problem with the huwaii logo, at least they’ve tried to integrate rather than have it in a ugly white box

yakstorm

First Grade
Honestly getting brands with multi-coloured logos to change their design to fit the team's colour scheme is long gone, with exception to brands like Laundy's and Kia, etc who have relatively 'mono' logos, the best you can hope for is that brands won't impose unnecessary 'colour blocks'.

That's why I don't mind a lot of the Raider's sponsors. Huwaei is as integrated as you're going to get, maybe at most they might go for a flat red rather than a gradient, whilst for the Dare logo, I'm not sure how you could simplify that without killing all brand recognition.

ITP, if they have to be there, I'd rather the integration they have on the training kits versus the main jersey (Australia outline with ITP in it, no yellow box), whilst I have zero complaints about AusBrokers, and Denman on the shorts looks fine.

The level of integration is definitely a lot better than the Broncos and the Eels.

greenBV4

Bench
Honestly getting brands with multi-coloured logos to change their design to fit the team's colour scheme is long gone, with exception to brands like Laundy's and Kia, etc who have relatively 'mono' logos, the best you can hope for is that brands won't impose unnecessary 'colour blocks'.

That's why I don't mind a lot of the Raider's sponsors. Huwaei is as integrated as you're going to get, maybe at most they might go for a flat red rather than a gradient, whilst for the Dare logo, I'm not sure how you could simplify that without killing all brand recognition.

ITP, if they have to be there, I'd rather the integration they have on the training kits versus the main jersey (Australia outline with ITP in it, no yellow box), whilst I have zero complaints about AusBrokers, and Denman on the shorts looks fine.

The level of integration is definitely a lot better than the Broncos and the Eels.
MOST text-based logos COULD go the route they have with the Storm home jersey, being mostly just white with the odd non-intrusive coloured bit

Nqcowboy

Juniors
MOST text-based logos COULD go the route they have with the Storm home jersey, being mostly just white with the odd non-intrusive coloured bit
That’s what nib should be doing, it wouldn’t be hard it’s just three letters in standard font in a green box, if I submitted that at the design firm i interned at for uni I would have been laughed at

sempmrh

Juniors
I think with coloured sponsor logos it's a case by case basis. It depends on the colour, how important that colour is to the sponsor, whether that logo dominates the jersey design, size and location of the logo, etc. I'm more accepting of a coloured logo if it's on the sleeves, shorts or perhaps even on the back of the jersey. For example, I think the Dare logo on the Raiders sleeves is fine. The colours might not match but the logo doesn't dominate the jersey.

I think a coloured sponsor logo that doesn't necessarily match the team's colours but at least compliments it is fine. I'll give an example. In 2009, Storm were sponsored by ME Bank and for that year their logo was blue. It didn't match our blue but it didn't look terrible. A year later, ME Bank changed its branding to lime green. Same logo, still coloured but it completely clashes with our colours. Fortunately that logo was short-lived on our jersey - but unfortunately not for the right reasons.

Brisbane Firehawks bid logo - thoughts?

1762716967be30f4552fbffb9ee0e9e7

43f33c1d9afb34dfb9001c86b7c32623

Looks like the Adelaide 36ers logo.

yakstorm

First Grade

Very true, and as most brands generally have coloured and white versions of their logo these days, the Storm have also enjoyed the benefit of having a predominately dark home jersey which has assisted with the integration as most brands have elected to go with their 'white version' for negative implementations.

Their Alternate jersey unfortunately hasn't enjoyed the same benefits with RedZed, Suzuki, Grilled are adding some Red and Blue to the kit. The level of integration is still quite strong though, and has been on all Melbourne kits since Crown Resorts dropped the square around their logo.

Yeah I understand that view. Most jerseys are just too busy inc the Raiders. While to me it's not the best jersey, I'd have it above a lot of others if I was to rank them - even given the busyness of it all. And I actually really like the Raiders Away Kit. The red Logo doesn't clash with the white background as it does on the home kit.

If I was to rank the 2020 Jerseys of all teams. 1 (BEST) to 16 (Worst) then I'd go like this.

Note - based on the Home Kits of each team, with all sponsorship & numbering as played in.

1 - Tigers
2 - Warriors
3 - Storm
4 - Roosters
5 - Panthers
6 - Eels
7 - Titans
8 - Dragons
9 - Cowboys
10 - Rabbitohs
11 - Raiders
12 - Sea Eagles
13 - Broncos
14 - Sharks
15 - Bulldogs (as played in to date).
16 - Knights

The Why's to each

1 - Tigers - Great club colour combination, simple V pattern, seamless sponsor integration AND numbering is the best of all teams (when I hate the bordered/bloated numbering style on all jerseys).

2 - Warriors - Amazing, simple, and unique jersey pattern. They've also managed to get blue and green to "work" by including the red. Major sponsorship brilliantly integrated.

3 - Storm - The two purples is distinct amongst all other teams, simple pattern and great sponsorship integration. White numbering and sponsorship contrast really well.

4 - Roosters - Classic Club Design and all the sponsors are on board to compliment the jersey - not wreck it with additional colours..

5 - Panthers - Black plus the multi-colours works really well. The Sponsorship of Oak works also within this. While Hertz ties in nicely with the yellow striping. Predominantly Black jerseys are classics and this is up there.

6 - Eels - Another Classic Design. However the white block sponsorship on the body and sleeves lets it down, otherwise I'd have it in the top 3.

7 - Titans - Most won't agree with me here I'm thinking. Yep the Neds sponsorship isn't great but I don't mind it so much against the club colour scheme. Love the blue tones and patterning. If the Neds was better integrated I'd have it Top 5. Trip-a-Deal always come to the party to alter their sponsorship to fit the club (Dragons/Manly), if Only others did the same.

8 - Dragons - Classic Red V design is always distinctive. But the Blue Sleeve and back sponsors drag this down. Should be Red/White/Black only - No other colours should ever be seen on a Dragons kit.

9 - Cowboys - I really like the Jersey pattern up close. But from afar (watching on TV) it looks much more bland. And the numbering is one of the worst to distinguish in the comp. Actually - it is the worst.

10 - Rabbitohs - Everything is great about this jersey EXCEPT the plastic, shiny sponsorship that's been put on seemingly at the 11th hour. Looks like something you'd patch up a rubber raft with, shiny green and ruins the whole thing.

11 - Raiders - I love the Raiders Colour Scheme and Jersey Design. The Sponsors (body and sleeve) drag it well down though. Their away kit looks far better.

12 - Sea Eagles. The colours and pattern are great. The back of the Jersey looks great too, stark and crisp contrast between the maroon and white. But the front sponsorship looks like something from Play School. Like blue on a Dragons kit, blue should never be seen on a maroon background. And yes - I liked the Pepsi design - Manly's best in my opinion. But that was well integrated, and on a predominantly white background.

13 - Broncos - The reverse of Manly. The Front of the Jersey looks great, and Kia have helped by changing the colour to fit the Bronco's colours - even though I think white would look better. But the back of the jersey is an abomination. Ladbrokes + National Storage ruin it with both comparatively vulgar colouring and a shiny/plastic finish. Look like bumper stickers. Not a good year for the Bronco's on a few fronts.

14 - Sharks - The "classic" sharks jersey design is one of the best I've seen. This isn't far from that design, but it's nowhere near as good. Lack of sponsorship doesn't help it at all, while the major sponsor they've got has loads of words in fine font which doesnt stand out. And while the Black Patch with white numbering is part of the classic design - it looks bad when the bordering comes in.

15 - Bulldogs - Classic Colours and design, completely let down by no sponsorship on the front. Will look a great deal better when they play in the new kit with sponsors.

16 - Knights - For reasons said earlier. NIB + McDonnell Jones + Red & Blue Stripes isnt a great recipe. Add in Benedict Sands being added in the patched over and it confirms the wooden spoon. The saving grace if any is the home kit is by far the better of the two - the away version is the biggest yuck I've seen in recent years. Such a shame for a club that to me has had such good jerseys in years gone by.

No offence meant to Knights fans I know plenty. All are great people and true club fans - probably overall the best in the competition for mine. But I can't watch a knights game these days without being disappointed in what I see them wearing.

sempmrh

Juniors
10 - Rabbitohs - Everything is great about this jersey EXCEPT the plastic, shiny sponsorship that's been put on seemingly at the 11th hour. Looks like something you'd patch up a rubber raft with, shiny green and ruins the whole thing.

I find it funny that they want all this lightweight fabric and technical advancement for player jerseys and then slap a big, plastic patch over the top. It can't be comfortable for the players.

I get that ISC probably doesn't want to do a new batch of jerseys for Souths but surely they could just outsource to someone to get a run of player issue jerseys made up to last the rest of the season.

Nqcowboy

Juniors
That’s why the crown logo on Souths baffles me as I guess everyone on here, I mean it’s been printed into the material on the indigenous jersey

sempmrh

Juniors
That’s why the crown logo on Souths baffles me as I guess everyone on here, I mean it’s been printed into the material on the indigenous jersey

The regular home and away jerseys would have been produced long before the Indigenous jerseys. The Indigenous jerseys would have been put into production after Crown Resorts was added as a sponsor. The RedZed and Grill'd logos on the Storm jerseys are heat pressed (you can't really tell unless you see them up close) but the Indigenous jersey has everything properly sublimated.

T-Boon

Coach
In terms of jersey sponsorship the NRL needs to get some protocols in place. For instance they need to ban Lawyer ads. There is some hidden insult in the fact Lawyers advertise on NRL jerseys. Like the fans of NRL are likely to find themselves in trouble with the law. Add to that people hate Lawyers. The law firms that advertise on NRL jerseys also are the ambulance chasing type. Get rid of them.
I like my rule that the team badge should be bigger and should be at least the same size as any ad on the jersey.

axl rose

Bench
Yeah I understand that view. Most jerseys are just too busy inc the Raiders. While to me it's not the best jersey, I'd have it above a lot of others if I was to rank them - even given the busyness of it all. And I actually really like the Raiders Away Kit. The red Logo doesn't clash with the white background as it does on the home kit.

If I was to rank the 2020 Jerseys of all teams. 1 (BEST) to 16 (Worst) then I'd go like this.

Note - based on the Home Kits of each team, with all sponsorship & numbering as played in.

1 - Tigers
2 - Warriors
3 - Storm
4 - Roosters
5 - Panthers
6 - Eels
7 - Titans
8 - Dragons
9 - Cowboys
10 - Rabbitohs
11 - Raiders
12 - Sea Eagles
13 - Broncos
14 - Sharks
15 - Bulldogs (as played in to date).
16 - Knights
Very comprehensive list. I would put Roosters as no 1 (only because the old Balmain jersey and Bluebags are no longer in the top grade) Surprised you have titans there high, honestly its a shocker for mine. I would put Saints no 2 even though the blue sponsor almost ruin it. My favorite of all time would be this Bears jersey.

250px-The_Mighty_Bears_DVD_Cover.jpg