What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Loose Cannon

Bench
I don’t think the problem directly relates to Pearce’s ability, you don’t get picked for SOO that many times if lacking,

You do when the coach is Laurie Daley and he claims on TV in the first fortnight of three seasons straight, that Mitchell Pearce will be the Blues No. 7.

Silent Knight

First Grade
You do when the coach is Laurie Daley and he claims on TV in the first fortnight of three seasons straight, that Mitchell Pearce will be the Blues No. 7.

Thankfully we won’t have that problem in Origin later this year. The halves this year literally pick themselves. Cleary and Keary. They deliver for their teams week-in, week-out, which is something we could only dream of having with our current ‘marquee’ half.

After those two you’ve got players like Mitchell Moses, Cody Walker and Jack Wighton. Pearce shouldn’t be anywhere near the Blues.

Old dog

Juniors
Think Pearce played SOO long before Laurie Daley coached, not arguing his ability but surely he had some talent to make it to SOO so many times even when not winning the series

Loose Cannon

Bench
Think Pearce played SOO long before Laurie Daley coached, not arguing his ability but surely he had some talent to make it to SOO so many times even when not winning the series
He did pre-date Daley, which makes Daley’s unwavering selection more baffling.

Yosh

Coach
Why can't Pearce grubber? I just don't understand? Stay back an hour or two every day and train. If he did that he'd be twice the player he is atm.

I'll go as far to say that if Pearce played only half the Origins he has, NSW would have at least 2 more series wins. The way he is playing now is exactly how he has played 99% of his SOO matches.

Why can't Pearce grubber? I just don't understand? Stay back an hour or two every day and train. If he did that he'd be twice the player he is atm.
The guy literally doesn't "have time". He plans what he's going to do after he's done it. He doesn't think or learn. He's a "competitor" though...

aqua_duck

Coach
Pearce isn't a bad player but he has some glaring limitations. In my opinion Robinson did a great job with how he used Pearce, he knew his limitations and didn't allow those limitations to be exposed too much, he also made the most of his strengths. Go watch highlights roosters highlights from 2013 and I think there was only 1 try in the whole clip that involved a kick, every other highlight was him running the ball or taking the ball to the line and throwing a short ball. Maloney's highlights were littered with tries from attacking kicks (grubbers and perfectly placed high kicks) as well as beautiful cut out passes.

Spot On

Coach

19 Origin matches, so close to 25 hours on the park for NSW - not 1 repeat set.

Knight Vision

First Grade
19 Origin matches, so close to 25 hours on the park for NSW - not 1 repeat set.
yep, pretty much. Also I remember his stats for long range kicks finding open space were fairly woeful. Almost all went straight to Slater.

It was the failure to target Thurston with 1 arm that had me beside myself.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
yep, pretty much. Also I remember his stats for long range kicks finding open space were fairly woeful. Almost all went straight to Slater.

It was the failure to target Thurston with 1 arm that had me beside myself.

Whilst I agree that Pearce definitely never delivered on the origin stage just remember how badly beaten up the NSW forward pack was during that 8-10 year period. It’s pretty hard not to kick the ball to the greatest fullback of all time when you’re kicking from your own 30m line most of the time and doing it off the back of no ruck speed.

NSW had an inferior team across the park for a long time. Maybe we would have won a couple of those deciders had Pearce brought his A-game but I think QLD would still have dominated most of those series all the same.

Also Pearce isn’t the one who picks the team. A more competent selection panel probably would have gone in a different direction and picked a different halfback, but they persisted with Pearce and it probably did him more harm than good. How Matt Orford never played an origin game is beyond me.

The old “blame Pearce for not winning origin matches” bandwagon is pretty stale now I think.

mozza91

Coach
Apparently the Knights are in talks with Blake Green to get him here immediately. OBrien wants Green in halves so that Mann can play 9.

Source - Brent Read. Article behind paywall On Daily Telegraph
He’d work well with Pearce. Gives us another genuine kicking option and Pearce can focus abit more on running and playing direct.

I also liked what I’ve seen from Mann at 9 too. Could work out well for us.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Whilst I agree that Pearce definitely never delivered on the origin stage just remember how badly beaten up the NSW forward pack was during that 8-10 year period. It’s pretty hard not to kick the ball to the greatest fullback of all time when you’re kicking from your own 30m line most of the time and doing it off the back of no ruck speed.

NSW had an inferior team across the park for a long time. Maybe we would have won a couple of those deciders had Pearce brought his A-game but I think QLD would still have dominated most of those series all the same.

Also Pearce isn’t the one who picks the team. A more competent selection panel probably would have gone in a different direction and picked a different halfback, but they persisted with Pearce and it probably did him more harm than good. How Matt Orford never played an origin game is beyond me.

The old “blame Pearce for not winning origin matches” bandwagon is pretty stale now I think.
I was actually commenting on his performances when NSW were on the front foot and had QLD on the ropes. His failure to close the games out. To manage the game and his awareness leave a lot to be desired. Thurston could barely lift his arm or pass the ball......I decent half would have shredded him

Knight Vision

First Grade
Apparently the Knights are in talks with Blake Green to get him here immediately. OBrien wants Green in halves so that Mann can play 9.

Source - Brent Read. Article behind paywall On Daily Telegraph
Exactly the type of half that would work well with Pearce, has a nice short kick on him also and can steer the team around the park when Pearce is having another off day.