What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young

So, it has to be Bennett, he is the only one available with the experience and record to dig the Dragons out of this hole. Young should leave the Club and go and work under Robinson, Bellamy, or Madge. After he finishes a real apprenticeship, maybe a stint in the ESL to prove himself as a head coach before thinking about applying for an NRL head coach job.
Bennett more than likely wouldn't sign unless Deano was one of his assistants.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I really wouldnt believe anything Gould says, particularly after the faux 'review' last year.
However, an experienced coach would be my preference also.
Who has experience and currently available for 2021?

Walters ?
Toovey ?
Cartright ?
Griffin ?

Bennett isnt (yet) available - his contract expires end of 2021 and has endorsed Young.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I really wouldnt believe anything Gould says, particularly after the faux 'review' last year.

Walters ?
Toovey ?
Cartright ?
Griffin ?

Bennett isnt (yet) available - his contract expires end of 2021 and has endorsed Young.
DS IMO the candidates that are available are somewhat underwhelming and are stop gap only. Toovey, Cartwright, Griffin have all been punted from previous clubs and seem to throw their hat in the ring for every NRL coaching job that comes around. They seem to be in that unsuccessful category that perhaps they are only Assistant Coaching material.
Walters has no experience at NRL Head Coaching level and failed in the ESL with Catalan Dragons. Even Wayne Bennett flicked him as an assistant at the Broncos.
I don’t think he is the right fit to save the Dragons.
Unless some other coach breaks a current contract, then I think the legitimate coaching choices will be limited for next year.

possm

Coach

Walters ?
Toovey ?
Cartright ?
Griffin ?

In order of preference I woud go for:

Bennett if he becomes available
Wane
Flanagan if the suspension is lifted
Griffen
Green
Walters
Toovey
Cartright

redv13

Bench
Yep it has started alright if they win a couple of games it will be on , the drums will beat louder from the club to sign him , Daddy has taken time off while it is all going on , showing it has nothing to do with him if Dean gets singed as coach ..... Nothing against Dean , but we don't want to go down the same path ....
Spot on. What scares me is the next 3 games are very winnable. God help us if he starts 3-0

Mjab

Juniors

Walters ?
Toovey ?
Cartright ?
Griffin ?

?Green, possibly the best of that bunch
He has at least won a comp

boardlumps62

Juniors
I think my next few weeks of watching the Dragons hoping we win is going to turn bad. We win they say well web Deno you got the job.
Only hope I think is the Broncos beat us then Deno will have to find another job but what's the chances of that happening?

Super Owl

Juniors
Young and Flanagan - bromance

<divclass="fb-video"data-href=""data-show-text="false"data-width=""><blockquotecite=""class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><ahref="">Ep 3 - Jerry and Gypsy on the couch</a><p>Ep 3 - Jerry and Gypsy are joined by Shane Flanagan and Dean Young to discuss their budding bromance and talk some footy :dragon:

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
I heard an interview w Laurie Daley that he held Dean Young in very high regard as a communicator - he has the respect of the players and in his words he's "mans man" with a good football brain...
I wouldnt be surprised if he did well in the last 6 games they marry him up w a senior coaching director (not Shane Flanagan) someone one like Daniel Anderson, Brian Smith type

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m puzzled as to why people are calling for Fitzgibbon but saying no to young.

They’re both only assistant coaches. It’s impossible to judge their ability to be an effective first grade coach at this stage.

And before I hear the usual “BuT fItZgIbBoN iS pArT oF a GoOd SyStEm” I’ll just leave these here:

GettyImages-676325232-kearney-bellamy-1120.jpg

images

images

images

Gareth67

First Grade
I believe that the worst aspect of just whom shall be the new coach is that we will all probably be waiting until the new year to discover the gentleman’s ( ? ) name .

Meantime there will be countless theories put forth by the media and at the end of the day we may all be surprised at just who it is .

The only thing that is truly important from every fans view is that the Dragon hierarchy have indeed learnt from their mistakes of the past and select the individual that possesses the capabilities that will make St.George Illawarra into one of the more formidable teams in the NRL .

The J.V. has wasted 7 years on failure and we do not want a repeat of that - they must look towards a successful future , anything less will not be tolerated .

Mjab

Juniors
I’m puzzled as to why people are calling for Fitzgibbon but saying no to young.

They’re both only assistant coaches. It’s impossible to judge their ability to be an effective first grade coach at this stage.

And before I hear the usual “BuT fItZgIbBoN iS pArT oF a GoOd SyStEm” I’ll just leave these here:

GettyImages-676325232-kearney-bellamy-1120.jpg

images

images

images

I see your point Muzby
But would you choose Young over Fitzgibbon if that was the 2 choices ?
I know what most people would choose

An apprenticeship under a peanut and son of I think statistically the worst ever StG coach

Just out of interest what’s your coaching preference