What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

OldPanther

Coach
Have to wonder how Hook might have gone without the Silver Ogre breathing down his neck over the length of each long season....at least Ivan doesn't have that this time around

I think it's part of the necessary evolution of the club. Gus did good things and now hopefully the committee can continue it. Mistakes have been made obviously but signing Api is a positive sign.

Kilkenny

Coach

Honestly, the journo’s just make these stories up. I’m sure he will be an applicant, given due consideration, but as for being a front runner it just’s an article to fill pages on line.

I hope he gets the job, I would like to see Griffin get another crack at a head coach gig and I think he could be a good fit for the Dragons.

The Dragons need an outsider but that’s my opinion only.

blue bags

First Grade
The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced Anthony Griffin as their head coach for at least the next two seasons.

Griffin will take over the coaching reins ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign, having last coached in the NRL back in 2018.

The 54-year-old has coached 173 first grade games to date with the Brisbane Broncos (2011-14) and the Penrith Panthers (2016-18), with a 55.5 per cent win rate In his time away from the NRL, Griffin was an assistant coach for the Tongan international team alongside current interim Dragons coach Dean Young.

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb said Griffin's appointment was one of the most important decisions the club has made in recent times.

"We are excited to announce that Anthony Griffin will be joining St George Illawarra next season. Anthony is an experienced operator with a proven track record across his previous seven seasons as a head coach," Webb said.

"The board of directors were unanimous in their decision on Monday afternoon in appointing Anthony ahead of the other candidates.

"Anthony has missed finals football only once which speaks to the strong discipline and ability to develop young talent of which he has exhibited both throughout his career.

"The next steps for the Dragons are now determining the correct framework and structures to put around Anthony and the football department to ensure his tenure as coach is a successful one."

Griffin spoke of his pride in being afforded the opportunity to coach such a prestigious club in the St George Illawarra Dragons.

"There is no doubt that St George Illawarra is one of the biggest and proudest clubs in the game and I am excited to commence my role as coach later in the year," Griffin said.

"While results may not have gone in the club's favour in recent years, I see many a positive in the playing squad and the current crop of juniors currently coming through the ranks.

"My goal is a simple one, to ensure the Dragons are a club that every member, partner and fan can be proud of moving forward."
Griffin wins race to be next Dragons coach

Exsilium

First Grade
Very pleasing to see the concerted smear campaign mounted over the past week fail miserably.

It was ridiculous how hard they were trying.

The social media angle, players don’t like him etc

He’s just what they need and his not a member of the old boys club. He will do well.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on the Dragons next year.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
This was the coach who wouldn't allow the club (someonelse in the club) to do injury reports. Remember spuds sick list. It was canned with Anothy arrived.

I'm told that he insisted that speculation on twitter from fan about player selections be removed.

The bloke that made out he invented the junior pathways system at Penrith. No this was done by Gus and mainly Matt Cameron.

He will get the players fit,

The game plans could be written on drink coasters.

Finds it challenging to work with staffs, and at times players.

He's going to a club who has struggled for money in the last few years. Hasn't got the resouces, or junior talent of Brisbane, or Penrith.

I can see this ending with tears before bedtime.

franklin2323

Immortal
This was the coach who wouldn't allow the club (someonelse in the club) to do injury reports. Remember spuds sick list. It was canned with Anothy arrived.

I'm told that he insisted that speculation on twitter from fan about player selections be removed.

The bloke that made out he invented the junior pathways system at Penrith. No this was done by Gus and mainly Matt Cameron.

He will get the players fit,

The game plans could be written on drink coasters.

Finds it challenging to work with staffs, and at times players.

He's going to a club who has struggled for money in the last few years. Hasn't got the resouces, or junior talent of Brisbane, or Penrith.

I can see this ending with tears before bedtime.

How much of that is fact or fiction is the question.

These interviews go with references as per a normal job interview.. If it was all that bad then he would be marked never to be hired again.

I don't believe all of Hook's version
Nor all of Gus'

The truth is in the middle somewhere

Latest posts