What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

Valheru

Coach
I don't think the difference between the worst and best teams is any more than other years. The new rules mean that teams can't rely on the wrestle and giving away penalties to kill the opposition's momentum hence the more blow out scores we've seen. It's just exposing what's always been there.

Yeah i agree so i guess the question is, is it in the competition's interest to have a rule that so drastically exposes the quality gap between teams?

MugaB

Coach
Yeah i agree so i guess the question is, is it in the competition's interest to have a rule that so drastically exposes the quality gap between teams?
Or instead of messing with the rules, howabout teams just get better at not giving away penalties, slowing down the ruck, and get back your ten, fatigue has come back to the game, finally we can see the skills run the game, not the cheats and wrestles, although the parramatta "fake a necksore" penalty is becoming the new wrestle

Fangs

Coach
I like the 6 again rule.

Speeds up the game, stops stacks of whinging and whining from players. Anything to keep improving those two areas just makes Rugby League more watchable. First time in a very long time I can consistently watch neutral games and actually enjoy what is on the screen.

Valheru

Coach
Or instead of messing with the rules, howabout teams just get better at not giving away penalties, slowing down the ruck, and get back your ten, fatigue has come back to the game, finally we can see the skills run the game, not the cheats and wrestles, although the parramatta "fake a necksore" penalty is becoming the new wrestle

When this rule first came in the big bad wrestling teams like storm and roosters were going to come back to the pack and all the teams that allegedly didn't wrestle would be advantaged.

Clearly that hasn't happened. The top 5 from last year all currently sit in the top 6. I don't think most people had penrith first but not a shock to see them top 4 IMO.

I doubt that ladder is any different under the old rules. The only thing fatigue seems to be achieving is turning 20 point wins in to 30+ point wins.

simmo1

First Grade
Origin has a bit to do with it too. Good teams aren't missing/resting players mid season, so less chance of upsets.

Biggest problem with the 6 again rule is that we see a heap in the first half, then nothing in the 2nd as refs seem to forget about it.

Apey

Staff member
Curious to see if it's had any impact on the amount of injuries as well. It feels like there has been more but that's hardly quantifying. It could also be related to early season interruptions. Next year will be interesting for injuries, presuming there is no halt to the season again.

Valheru

Coach
Curious to see if it's had any impact on the amount of injuries as well. It feels like there has been more but that's hardly quantifying. It could also be related to early season interruptions. Next year will be interesting for injuries, presuming there is no halt to the season again.

This year has been unique in many ways so yes we will need to see what happens next year to determine if the rule increases injuries. Having said that, both Roboo and Bellamy claimed it had an impact earlier int he year which was dismissed as sour grapes but one would think they both go that advice from their respective medical professionals at the club.