2020 rule changes

Discussion in 'NRL' started by adamkungl, Dec 6, 2019.

1. LineBall

LineBall Juniors

Should be used for points scoring decisions only such as check grounding, or if the ball just got over the cross bar for a field goal etc.

Chook Norris and AJB1102 like this.
  2. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

It only slightly extends an already existing stoppage. It eliminates almost all ref blaming. Stop whinging.

3. siv

siv Bench

So far all captain calls have been for dropped balls

4. parrawentyfan

parrawentyfan Juniors

It's only early days but the 6 again rule looks exciting.

I'm a little concerned that once a team gets on the 'back foot ' the opposition could run away with it more often.

We can probably manage it at NRL level but it could result in more blowouts if copied at junior level or international where fitness levels are lower. We used to regularly see teams compete with tier 1 international sides for the first 60 minutes then fade away. The new rule could contribute to that.

axl rose likes this.
  5. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

It is not a rule that is needed at levels below NRL and NSW cup because they don't wrestle as much in the lower comps. The problem is the higher you go up the more time they spend training which equates to more time practicing wrestling because as has been stated NRL teams spend 80% of their time working on defense/wrestle.

Chook Norris likes this.
  6. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

See how bad NRL players are at long kicks now? I would estimate 95% of kicks I have seen have been caught on the full. The number of bombs in RL now is probably higher than in Union.

7. big hit!

big hit! Bench

concerned? where have you been the last week? it's practically happening every game. and if it's happening at elite level with salary caps, it will be like cricket in the juniors.

8. Whip Whitaker

Whip Whitaker Juniors

The rules changes might hurt the game a bit short-term. Kind of like T20 cricket in its infancy where most teams haven't figured out how to manage a game, and what kind of tactics to use beyond chancing one's arm, and winning on natural ability. Over time, hopefully teams adapt and we end up with a better product.

I am happy if every team adapts to these rules, except the Broncos :)

9. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

Why would it be a rule brought in for the juniors? Wrestling is an NRL problem. The kids train twice a week at most they don't waste that time on wrestle. The kids would walk away.

10. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

If we want to have a lot less pointless stoppages the game should look at getting rid of scrums. That would bring in more fatigue.

11. parrawentyfan

parrawentyfan Juniors

Thanks my point earlier was that increasing fatigue might be a good thing at NRL level but a bad thing at international level where the playing field and fitness levels might be less equal.

12. AJB1102

AJB1102 First Grade

Players use it poorly. Challenging a 50/50 never gonna turn out well so spending 2 minutes checking shit flies in the face of reducing stoppages. Anything requiring a little interpretation will stay refs call.

13. siv

siv Bench

Agree unless its howler

Its being used as a rest

We shoukd do some stats on when in a game its being used

I think you will find its being used heavily late in both halves

AJB1102 likes this.
  14. Diesel

Diesel Coach

Enter SJ on Saturday night with a poor field goal attempt and then said a Cowboys player touched the ball

15. mistertaylor

mistertaylor Juniors

But the Cowboys had a successful Challenge when Holmes scored off a kick.

16. Nerd

Nerd Bench

I'm happy with the 6 again calls but one thing that seems to have fallen by the wayside is defenders leaving the line early especially once their team gets a run of 6 again calls.

17. big hit!

big hit! Bench

they do at rep level

18. AJB1102

AJB1102 First Grade

I'd just like see how many have been used and how many were successful. Feels most are lost and if that's the case then its doing little to improve decisions and not worth the time spent reconfirming what the ref said 90 seconds earlier.

19. Valheru

Valheru Coach

Time to revisit 6 again rule?

This has to be the most lopsided comp I can remember. The top 8 is something like 70-10 against the bottom 8 this season.

This week the average odds for the underdogs is around $5.50.

Is the 6 again rule accentuating differences in talent and thus making it harder for upset results or is something else going on this season?

20. LineBall

LineBall Juniors

I don't think the difference between the worst and best teams is any more than other years. The new rules mean that teams can't rely on the wrestle and giving away penalties to kill the opposition's momentum hence the more blow out scores we've seen. It's just exposing what's always been there.

tri_colours likes this.