What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

wibble

Bench
I like the captains challenge, really hoping with it being introduced we will see a drop in ref bashing and more emphasis on the captains not wasting the challenges

We may need a little more honesty from players, too, at least until their side has wasted the challenge. I thought it worked well in the Charity Shield, but Souths wasted it when they blatantly knocked on, and the player whom touched it really should have admitted it immediately so their challenge wasn't wasted.

Overall, I think it will have minimal impact, but if it means teams have one less excuse to blame referees, then that is a good thing.

Am I right that an infringement at the scrum such as breaking early is a differential penalty and you can't opt for the 2?

If so you're better off conceding that to set your defensive line.

That is what a differential penalty means (i.e. if you kick for goal you get 0 points).

Thing is as this is being feared what will happen from scrums after what has occurred with the trials, the NRL have threatened that they will change the rules to bring back being able to kick penalty goals from scrum infringements. Source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tw...-abuse-of-new-scrum-rule-20200308-p547zc.html

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If there is already a thread on this, please merge (I couldnt see any)....

Any reviews from our first trial of it? I only watched the highlights, so I don't know how badly it effected the games flow. It looked annoying in the 3 minutes highlights but in 80min, i dunno.

I like that it puts the weight on the players, so no more whinging to the ref ("you think I got it wrong? why dont you challenge?").

I think, after that first challenge is lost, captains should be allowed to challenge again, but maybe they lose an interchange or something...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
try asking again about June or July when there is a decent sample base to be able to make a call

MugaB

Coach
If there is already a thread on this, please merge (I couldnt see any)....

Any reviews from our first trial of it? I only watched the highlights, so I don't know how badly it effected the games flow. It looked annoying in the 3 minutes highlights but in 80min, i dunno.

I like that it puts the weight on the players, so no more whinging to the ref ("you think I got it wrong? why dont you challenge?").

I think, after that first challenge is lost, captains should be allowed to challenge again, but maybe they lose an interchange or something...
Yeah i liked it, although parra stuff it by wasting it on a knock on, should be saving it for a seriously contentious call, like a try scoring situation, like what happen to the panthers vs dragons in the nines, dumb usage shouldn't be rewarded, by loss of an interchange.
On a side note, we should be dropping the interchange anyways down by 2, fatigue make for a better game

Vee

First Grade
I think the 10 second fake outrage and no challenge will be used to death and that's a downer.

MilkShark

First Grade
Is there a time limit on how long you get before you can challenge?

You can bet some teams will try and watch the replays before deciding whether or not to use the challenge and then get the info to the trainer to get to the players.

If there is a way to screw with the rules, it will happen.

MugaB

Coach
Is there a time limit on how long you get before you can challenge?

You can bet some teams will try and watch the replays before deciding whether or not to use the challenge and then get the info to the trainer to get to the players.

If there is a way to screw with the rules, it will happen.
10 seconds apparently.
Little Waynes already used it as a tactic to slow down the opposition at the mudgee trial

LineBall

Juniors
I would like it better if that was the only time the video ref was used. Give each team two challenges per game. Would need to re-introduce in goal judges to assist the referees.

LineBall

Juniors
From a glass half full perspective, both challenges last night show the refs had made the correct decision. Some teams are going to be a little bit "Shane Watson" with their use of the review.

Bronco18

Juniors
I'd prefer the challenge if it meant it was the ONLY use of the bunker. Including for tries as well. Puts the onus back on the players - if they don't know if they scored or not, can hardly blame the refs.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Games 3

Refs 3 - Players 0.

Am a big fan of the scrum where you chose rule.

I maintain better coaches will do good things there.

T-Boon

Coach
Games 3

Refs 3 - Players 0.

Am a big fan of the scrum where you chose rule.

I maintain better coaches will do good things there.

Agreed. We need better coaches. Coaches who know how to attack and create things with the ball. None of the current crop seem to know how to do that.

Like Joey Johns should be getting completely ridiculed right now due to Parra not making a single line break (or even looking like making one). He should be feeling the heat over this.

siv

First Grade
After a few games with no captains challenge

To suddenly see one and the way it was a momentum killer

It will be used as a tactic to slow down the game at a key moment

T-Boon

Coach
It was well used in the knights game. A great rule. Each team should have two. Put more onus on the captains and by extension the coaches. Good luck whinging about bad decisions when you have challenges you could be using.

AJB1102

First Grade
Captains challenge is shit. Mostly used to challenge dumb 50/50 shit at insignificant moments. The vid ref is never gonna overrule the ref unless its dogs balls obvious. Its so useless no one has bothered manipulating it. Stopping the game to examine contentious knock-ons aint entertainment.

Best use of it was probably Glasby when he and his team were wrecked and needed a breather.

Latest posts