What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals scheduling

Valheru

Coach
Makes sense.

Generally they start with a top 4 clash and it can't be storm as they play Sunday this week.

blue bags

First Grade
If the Roosters play the Storm week 1, does that make it impossible for them to meet in the GF?
no, loser gets a second chance, and losing team changes over to other side of semi draw,
won't meet again until GF

Last edited:

Last Week

Bench
Since the Knights vs Souths game is locked in for week 1, why not have that as the Friday game? They both play this Friday and they'll have a 7 day turn around.

Like wise for Canberra and Cronulla. They're playing on Saturday this weekend, and they'll most likely be playing next Saturday against each other. 7 day turn around.

Parra vs Penrith on Saturday night. Again, both 7 day turn around.

Then Melbourne v Roosters on Sunday. Melbourne have 7 days and the Roosters have 9 days.

In saying that, I wonder if the clubs would prefer to have a longer break before week 1 or before week 2.

Incorrect

Coach
Given week 1 of the Finals is being played across what is normally the GF October long weekend, I'm surprised they are not playing the Sunday match during prime time, at say 7pm, instead of 4pm

Valheru

Coach
Since the Knights vs Souths game is locked in for week 1, why not have that as the Friday game? They both play this Friday and they'll have a 7 day turn around.

Like wise for Canberra and Cronulla. They're playing on Saturday this weekend, and they'll most likely be playing next Saturday against each other. 7 day turn around.

Parra vs Penrith on Saturday night. Again, both 7 day turn around.

Then Melbourne v Roosters on Sunday. Melbourne have 7 days and the Roosters have 9 days.

In saying that, I wonder if the clubs would prefer to have a longer break before week 1 or before week 2.

They like to give the losing top 4 teams a bigger break heading in to week 2 which is fair enough.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Basically the losers of the top 4 matches go into the opposite pool as to who they lost to

The loser of Penrith/Eels game will play the winner of the Raiders/sharks game and the winner of that match plays the winner of Roosters/Melbourne in the preliminary final

And obviously it follows for Roosters v Melbourne

Given week 1 of the Finals is being played across what is normally the GF October long weekend, I'm surprised they are not playing the Sunday match during prime time, at say 7pm, instead of 4pm

The finals times slots have been that for ages. Only "Nein" would have wanted them changed and, considering they are paying less for the 2020 season, I dare say the NRL would not want to do it.

Further it would cut into the recovery time (even by a few hours) for the winning team as they will have to play on Saturday night or Friday night the following week.

Jamberoo

Juniors
The finals times slots have been that for ages. Only "Nein" would have wanted them changed and, considering they are paying less for the 2020 season, I dare say the NRL would not want to do it.

Further it would cut into the recovery time (even by a few hours) for the winning team as they will have to play on Saturday night or Friday night the following week.
Three hours recovery won’t make any difference, but Sunday night would increase ratings dramatically. NRL sticking to the old time slots while the AFL has gone with almost all night games is a main reason why the NRL has lost the ratings so comprehensively this year. The finals should be Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sun - all night games.

Latest posts