What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘Never got any game time’: Wendell Sailor slams Dragons for cutting son Tristan

BadnMean

Juniors
I don't think it's a good look for Wendell giving the quote. But...

But Tristans try/lb assists & attacking game stack up very well for a rookie half who played half his games on wing or bench, embarrassingly so for the $$$ players who got a gig a head of him.

He's not a huge bloke like his Dad but there's just a hint of early JT about his play & situation when JT kept being let go- if a club was to take a punt on a young half who could be anything there's worse plays to make. You'd think he'd fill out in a year or two.

But Tristans try/lb assists & attacking game stack up very well for a rookie half who played half his games on wing or bench, embarrassingly so for the $$$ players who got a gig a head of him.

He's not a huge bloke like his Dad but there's just a hint of early JT about his play & situation when JT kept being let go- if a club was to take a punt on a young half who could be anything there's worse plays to make. You'd think he'd fill out in a year or two.

The Thurston comparisons are more commonly made with one of our other young halves lining up this week.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...thurston/a86cd6a7-7716-4f1f-9aec-c6f28dcac5b4

Angry_eel

First Grade
we’re great at taking players not deemed good enough by others and turning them into superstars. Turning sows ears into silk purses is our speciality.

No, the general criticism of Melbourne is that they have no juniors. Point still stands, Sailor is not a Storm junior, you can make him an immortal if you like.

Wests is Best

Juniors
I have never seen the kid play, but it’s a common belief that sons of former greats often get preferential treatment in the grading process. And I think it happens at most clubs. I’m not saying that he’s not a good enough player, but for a club to cut the son of a former international that also won a premiership at that same club then it’s saying something.
For every Tristan Sailor there are literally hundreds of kids who think they are good enough, But cannot make an NRL squad. And because they Don’t have a famous name, we Just don’t hear about it.

BadnMean

Juniors
I have never seen the kid play, but it’s a common belief that sons of former greats often get preferential treatment in the grading process. And I think it happens at most clubs. I’m not saying that he’s not a good enough player, but for a club to cut the son of a former international that also won a premiership at that same club then it’s saying something.
For every Tristan Sailor there are literally hundreds of kids who think they are good enough, But cannot make an NRL squad. And because they Don’t have a famous name, we Just don’t hear about it.

Yeah, true. But a bald look at the stats on his game time vs $1m dollar contemporaries suggests he's actually got half a shot on merit, at least.

It's not a bad look. The media went fishing for a quote and make it look like he is going around whinging. He isn't. The guy is entitled to express his opinion if somebody asks.

aqua_duck

Coach

Nothing like the JT situation, JT wasn't rated as a 16-17 year old and once he got an opportunity in a NRL system excelled, he was only let go because of stuff outside football. Sailor has been in a NRL system since he could hold a football. I mean sailor is 22 now and can't get a gig, JT won his first dally M at 22

Angry_eel

First Grade
we’re great at taking players not deemed good enough by others and turning them into superstars. Turning sows ears into silk purses is our speciality.
Errrr you're not the only club which does that Genius.

You should try harder when trolling.

This Year?

Immortal
Poor Dell. The club helps rehab his career after he had an itchy nose and now he's finally become a true Dragons fan after the club doesn't give his kid a real go in 1st grade.
People can have a go at him for having an opinion and pushing his kids barrow, but it's better than fox sports campaigning to find Benji a new home. I hope Tristan does well and having his surname will help get his foot in the door at any club where he can fulfil his potential