What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Dragonslayer

First Grade
All quiet on the western front, as the saying goes.

My guess is a few targeted players are still involved in finals football.
Some others maybe weighing up staying at their present clubs given they also now have new coaches.

Or, it could be just as simple as them saying ..... "STGI, ah no thanks!"

However, the optimist in me, believes we are close to finalising a few important signings.

Where the hell is the key to the jetski??

lombard

Juniors
All quiet on the western front, as the saying goes.

My guess is a few targeted players are still involved in finals football.
Some others maybe weighing up staying at their present clubs given they also now have new coaches.

Or, it could be just as simple as them saying ..... "STGI, ah no thanks!"

However, the optimist in me, believes we are close to finalising a few important signings.

Where the hell is the key to the jetski??
Mary got the jet ski as part of his termination package when he rode off into the sunset.

Dragon David

First Grade
It's going to be a tough year next year

If we can't get good players plan for 2022 trust in the kids coming through

I could go through another year of pain if I can see some light
Yes I agree.

A lot of changes have come into play with the club which will mean everyone getting use to many different ideas to those used in our disastrous yesteryears.

One thing that is essential is getting the right environment and atmosphere for the players and to be able to bond as a squad to be comfortable.

Our squad strength won't initially be great because of the paucity of what is available to recruit so next year will be a stepping stone for years 2022 and onwards. The coaches will be in a far better position to determine what is needed during 2021.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Yes I agree.

A lot of changes have come into play with the club which will mean everyone getting use to many different ideas to those used in our disastrous yesteryears.

One thing that is essential is getting the right environment and atmosphere for the players and to be able to bond as a squad to be comfortable.

Our squad strength won't initially be great because of the paucity of what is available to recruit so next year will be a stepping stone for years 2022 and onwards. The coaches will be in a far better position to determine what is needed during 2021.

Yes-watching the breathtaking speed and precision of the Storm's and to a lesser extent, the Eels attacks last night was a timely reminder of just how far we are from being a threat to a top four side and it will probably take well beyond Hook's two year tenure to recruit the players and implement the playing patterns to enable this to happen. Of course, nothing stays the same and a Smith/Bellamy departure from Melbourne along with one or two others could knock the stuffing out of them. My take from that game was:

1 If Welch is still unsigned ( I haven't seen an announcement about his re-signing)-SGI should up the ante- I'll admit I was wrong about him- he's a seriously skillful player.

2. JAC has gone to a new level- he's no longer just a skinny flyer- he's strong as well as quick, great under the high ball, and a smart reader of play in defence. Certainly better than Dufty and I would be throwing the cheque book at him as our new full-back.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Elliott would understand developing culture, leadership and coaching. He’ll know what he is trying to create in assisting Hook in building culture. Starts on Nov 1, by the end of Nov, he’ll know where the challenges and hurdles lie culturally if he they don’t know now.

One of the immediate hurdles could be who would be in the leadership team? McInnes yes, but more by follow me style; Frizell yes, but too quiet and now gone. Simms possibly, but injuries and suspension has him somewhat detached from the regular playing group. Norman and Hunt possibly, but often appear too aloof; Merrin yes, but form doesn’t warrant selection; Lomax too young, and no one else really established as yet.

They may need Hunt and Norman to step up here and take to these roles both on and off the field. I think they’ll try to turn them around as the players won’t want to leave and these are simply the cards been delt. Interesting Challenge...!

Last edited:
Rather than pay massive overs, we should play a mix of the kids and the remaining roster.

Dufty/Ramsey
Rava
Lomax
Fegai
Pereira/Fegai/Ramsey
Sullivan/Norman
Hunt/Clune
Lawrie/Kerr
McInnes
Vaughan/ Blacker
T.Sims/K.Sims
Fuimono/Ford
Merrin/Ellis

The pack needs strengthening but not at the expenses paying overs.

Welch/Maguire/Asiata/Ofengaue or a number of the Roosters/Panthers/Storm bench forwards.

I have assumed JDB isn’t available and Saab leaves.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes-watching the breathtaking speed and precision of the Storm's and to a lesser extent, the Eels attacks last night was a timely reminder of just how far we are from being a threat to a top four side and it will probably take well beyond Hook's two year tenure to recruit the players and implement the playing patterns to enable this to happen. Of course, nothing stays the same and a Smith/Bellamy departure from Melbourne along with one or two others could knock the stuffing out of them. My take from that game was:

1 If Welch is still unsigned ( I haven't seen an announcement about his re-signing)-SGI should up the ante- I'll admit I was wrong about him- he's a seriously skillful player.

2. JAC has gone to a new level- he's no longer just a skinny flyer- he's strong as well as quick, great under the high ball, and a smart reader of play in defence. Certainly better than Dufty and I would be throwing the cheque book at him as our new full-back.
You certainly can tell how much difference there is between the Storm, Eels, Penrith and Roosters ability to play first class league as compared to the way we generally have played during the past winters and it will be a monumental task and reasonable time period for Hook and Co. to get our team to the levels of the current top 4 teams.

I don't want to see us throwing money on any new players willy nilly. They need to be able to identify the ones we really need and if it means paying more to obtain a couple of good ones like Welch and JAC for example then so be it.

As you say, nothing stays the same and once a team like the Storm loses the likes of Bellamy and Smith, the Storm should come back to the field so to speak, although it would be hard for that to happen to a club like the Storm as they have good systems in place to be if not top 4 material, they will be in the top 8 even under different head coach/assistants.

SGMax

Juniors
There have to be signings on the horizon.
* We have lost Graham, Frizell, Host.
* We seem to have put a line through Merrin, K.Simms.
* Lawrie is a backup / bench prop at present.
* Kerr is still raw and not ready to be dominant.
* Ellis is still unsigned indicating that he may be on the way out.
* Ford and Fui were a little underwhelming....bench players in 2021
That leaves Vaughn and T.Simms who have been a little subdued lately.

We can't be filling the squad vacancies with juniors because there are no forwards coming through...particularly front rowers. Blacker is a couple of years from being ready.

Griffin must be aware of this huge hole in our roster and I have faith that he will fill it better than his predecessors could have.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Rather than pay massive overs, we should play a mix of the kids and the remaining roster.

Dufty/Ramsey
Rava
Lomax
Fegai
Pereira/Fegai/Ramsey
Sullivan/Norman
Hunt/Clune
Lawrie/Kerr
McInnes
Vaughan/ Blacker
T.Sims/K.Sims
Fuimono/Ford
Merrin/Ellis

Welch/Maguire/Asiata/Ofengaue or a number of the Roosters/Panthers/Storm bench forwards.

This is very close to my side...

I still don't get what Rav did wrong? He and Lomax were building a lethal combination.

1. Ramsey - although we may need to start the year with Dufty or give Ramsey a spell.
2. Rav
3. Lomax
4. Fegai
5. Fegai - if he is anything like his brother

6. Sullivan
7. Clune

13. Cam Mc
12. T. Sims
11. Crichton would be great
10. Vaughan
9. Hunt
8. McGuire

14. Ford
15. JDB
16. Kerr
17. ???

18. Lawrie
19. K.Sims
20. Fui
21. Merrin/Ellis
22. JP
23. Dufty
24. Williame
25. Brittan

1-17 looks a lot better with Crichton, McGuire and JDB back.

Players 18-25 a squad fillers, unfortunately we have been using them as regular first graders.

Old Timer

Coach
Elliott would understand developing culture leadership and coaching. He’ll know what he is trying to create in assisting Hook in building culture. Starts on Nov 1, by the end of Nov, he’ll know where the challenges and hurdles lie culturally if he they don’t know now.

One of the immediate hurdles could be who would be in the leadership team? McInnes yes, but more by follow me style; Frizell yes, but too quiet and now gone. Simms possibly, but injuries and suspension has him somewhat detached from the regular playing group. Norman and Hunt possibly, but often appear too aloof; Merrin yes, but form doesn’t warrant selection; Lomax too young, and no one else really established as yet.

They may need Hunt and Norman to step up here and take to these roles both on and off the field. I think they’ll try to turn them around as the players won’t want to leave and these are simply the cards been delt. Interesting Challenge...!
Not sure Lomax is too young to be in the leadership group.

In fact I would like to see the VC go beside his name as he is without a doubt our most competitive player other than our captain.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Elliott would understand developing culture leadership and coaching. He’ll know what he is trying to create in assisting Hook in building culture. Starts on Nov 1, by the end of Nov, he’ll know where the challenges and hurdles lie culturally if he they don’t know now.

Well summed up- we have the quietest team in the NRL- the only people talking when we line up behind the posts after a try has been scored against us are the trainers. We desperately need an "urger" like James Graham to energise the team.

thebigredv

First Grade

Dufty/Ramsey
Rava
Lomax
Fegai
Pereira/Fegai/Ramsey
Sullivan/Norman
Hunt/Clune
Lawrie/Kerr
McInnes
Vaughan/ Blacker
T.Sims/K.Sims
Fuimono/Ford
Merrin/Ellis

Sensible.

possm

Coach
It's going to be a tough year next year

If we can't get good players plan for 2022 trust in the kids coming through

I could go through another year of pain if I can see some light
We are short on good experienced NRL props at the club and we don't have a like for like replacement for Frizell or De Belin if things go south for him.

On top of that we need to solve our defensive problems at fullback. Dufty is a good attacking player but just does not cut it in defence at the back. By round 1 in 2021, if we don't sign a new fullback, I'd rather look to Ramsey at fullback putting Ravalawa back on the right wing.
Ramsey

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree that Griffin is aware of just what we need at this point in time regarding the roster . If the man is worth his salt then his has already earmarked a couple of tough no nonsense forwards to stiffen our pack .

Even should those players be towards the end of their careers he will only require a season or two from them and that will give the younger Dragons forwards the chance not only to develop further , but also learn from those imports .

Also although JDB has been resigned - pending the outcome of the court hearing , I doubt if he has included him in the teams makeup . As members have said we should hear more on the signing front come the seasons end .

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
We are short on good experienced NRL props at the club and we don't have a like for like replacement for Frizell or De Belin if things go south for him.

On top of that we need to solve our defensive problems at fullback. Dufty is a good attacking player but just does not cut it in defence at the back. By round 1 in 2021, if we don't sign a new fullback, I'd rather look to Ramsey at fullback putting Ravalawa back on the right wing.
Ramsey

Agree Possm- and not just his defence- lack of strength, confidence under the high ball- positional play- talk to his defensive line etc -the list goes on- I'm on board the JAC train for full-back. Ramsey may be a solution but it's a big ask of a rookie to play in such a demanding position that has found out players of the calibre of Adam Doeuhi.

epDragon62

First Grade

Couldn’t argue with your views. JAC is exhilarating and Welsh is exactly what we need in the pack.

St Tangles

Bench

Ramsey
Not saying we don't need players just saying we need the right ones not just to fill numbers

Dragon David

First Grade

Ramsey
We should be going for Corey Allen from the Rabbitohs. He is currently filling in for the injured Latrell Mitchell and when he comes back, Allen will be in the reserves. I don't know where he is at with his current contract at Souths though.