What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Good post about Churchill, unfortunately I never got to see him play but it sounds like he was a very competent defender which we desperately need from Duff.

I'm curious what you see in JAC at fullback? If I remember correctly he and Vunivalu had terrible defensive misreads leaking in over half of Melbourne's conceded tries in 2018 I think it was? I could be wrong, though, and he has most likely improved since then but it's not a huge upgrade over dufty in my opinion.

Anyway, I have a feeling Griffin will go with Ramsey in the end, as he is/will be more of a complete player, but we will have to wait and see.
Someone mentioned recruiting from Union, particularly NZ. One player I have watched who would be very suited to League is Mitch Karpik a loose forward in rugby. He is dynamic around the field and a hard tackler. An accomplished cricketer and Javelin thrower. He is 1.86m tall and 105K. He is a fraction below All Black status due to the plethora of Polynesian loose forwards. Due to Super Rugby falling apart in the southern hemisphere, he may be an option worth exploring. To me he looks like a League player, playing Union.

Dragon David

First Grade
Someone mentioned recruiting from Union, particularly NZ. One player I have watched who would be very suited to League is Mitch Karpik a loose forward in rugby. He is dynamic around the field and a hard tackler. An accomplished cricketer and Javelin thrower. He is 1.86m tall and 105K. He is a fraction below All Black status due to the plethora of Polynesian loose forwards. Due to Super Rugby falling apart in the southern hemisphere, he may be an option worth exploring. To me he looks like a League player, playing Union.
If we can get guys like Mitch Karpik - big, strong and ready, willing and able to do the tough stuff in the engine room, then I'm all for it. No use pussy footing around now. We have the opportunity now to secure better forwards and blooding them seeing that we have thrown the old systems out of the window and dedicating the future to being great again.

Its a brand new start to a brand new year. Let's not waste this opportunity to be winners and build and maintain and create an atmosphere that will make the players extremely enthusiastic to give it their all.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I tend to agree. Defensively we can't afford to carry him in the front line. Wighton and Munster are bigger bodies but they defend well.

Also, Dufty doesn't like to take the line on. I just wish he'd hit a bit of speed bringing the ball back but he canters into the defence nearly every time and submits far too often. I don't think we can afford to spend the time to convert him to a half when we have some quality there already.

I like how Sullivan and Clune are willing to take the line on. Players like Cronk, Thurston and Keary all had/have no self preservation. That's one element that made them good in the modern game. Ability to ready the defence, control the game, guide their team across the park, and take on the line without fear. Our 2 at least seem to be off on the right foot. Long way to go though and we've seen very little of Sullivan. Looks promising though.

Jack Wighton and Munster are SOO quality 5/8 with big bodies as well. I'd love one of them at our club as well but they don't come along regularly. Meanwhile there is room for the Luai, Keary and Dufty types as well.

Bottom line, Dufty has deficiencies wherever you play him- I just think his deficiencies in the halves are more curable than those at full-back. Perhaps his best position is the old Soccer chestnut- left right out.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Good post about Churchill, unfortunately I never got to see him play but it sounds like he was a very competent defender which we desperately need from Duff.

I'm curious what you see in JAC at fullback? If I remember correctly he and Vunivalu had terrible defensive misreads leaking in over half of Melbourne's conceded tries in 2018 I think it was? I could be wrong, though, and he has most likely improved since then but it's not a huge upgrade over dufty in my opinion.

Anyway, I have a feeling Griffin will go with Ramsey in the end, as he is/will be more of a complete player, but we will have to wait and see.

I posted somewhere else that JAC has gone to a new level this year- he's not just a skinny flyer, he has the upper body strength to attack players rather than just round around them. In defence against Parramatta, he was pro active and came in well to shut down attacks. His attack on the high ball was just confident and fearless- a definite upgrade on Dufty.

Dragsters

First Grade

You should email this to the club marked Att: Ian Millward.

Stranger things have happened...

Dragon David

First Grade
I have a strong feeling that Souths will land JAC. They can offload James Roberts and Jaxson Paulo to the Storm in exchange for Addo-Carr to bring him back to Sydney and what a backline Souths would have with him in it.

We don't have anyone really to trade that would be worth the Storm letting us take JAC as like for like plus we are really not Sydney based.

Would be nice if we could land a couple of marquee players in exchange for the likes of Norman and Hunt.

Are there any wanting to come to us though?

hazzbeen

Bench
I have a strong feeling that Souths will land JAC. They can offload James Roberts and Jaxson Paulo to the Storm in exchange for Addo-Carr to bring him back to Sydney and what a backline Souths would have with him in it.

We don't have anyone really to trade that would be worth the Storm letting us take JAC as like for like plus we are really not Sydney based.

Would be nice if we could land a couple of marquee players in exchange for the likes of Norman and Hunt.

Widdop for Norman ,,,,, anyone ?

possm

Coach
Dufty has always been a great attacking weapon- he played in the halves as a junior and so the passing game was always there- where he needed help from Flanno (and still needs it) is confidence in going for the high ball, positional play, strength to resist the "rag doll", communication with his defensive line, and- critically- defensive technique.

i remember reading about the great full back Clive Churchill who was no bigger than Dufty. Part of what made him such a great player was his reading of play in defence. For example, he understood that when a big player made a break and was bearing down on him, he was at a disadvantage just standing there waiting to be crunched. Where possible, he would rapidly close the distance between himself and the attacking player so that the attacking player's footwork was disrupted, thereby making him an easier target.

The old saying is that defence is all about attitude- but it's also about technique- and that comes naturally to some (Jake T) and not others.

I've given up on Dufty at FB because he causes more problems than he solves. Att 5/8 he can get some help from his forwards with his defensive responsibilities. I'm on board the JAC train for full-back if we can manage to give the Storm say Saab and some cash.
There is always a problem when it comes to player recruitment and so, it is a matter of pitching the proposal well and finding solutions to areas of complexity.

If Saab is being truthful, he won't go to the storm but may go to Souths and Souths want to release Roberts, so if he goes to the Storm then maybe JAC can come to the Dragons as a fullback at first.

JAC's time at fullback should be dependant on his performance in that position. An experienced coach like Griffin can pull off a complex trace like this.

possm

Coach
I posted somewhere else that JAC has gone to a new level this year- he's not just a skinny flyer, he has the upper body strength to attack players rather than just round around them. In defence against Parramatta, he was pro active and came in well to shut down attacks. His attack on the high ball was just confident and fearless- a definite upgrade on Dufty.
Ok, so we offer Dufty, Norman and Hunt to storm for JAC. All contracts terminated and new contracts agreed to. We commit to playing JAC at fullback for 4 rounds and if he is good he stays there if not he swaps with Ramsey (right wing).

Then with the extra cash we have, we sign Welch and some bad, hard nosed forwards - Griffin will sort them out. McGuire, bigO, and two others. Lose Merrin, K Ellis and Lawrie.

ALSGI

Bench
Ok, so we offer Dufty, Norman and Hunt to storm for JAC. All contracts terminated and new contracts agreed to. We commit to playing JAC at fullback for 4 rounds and if he is good he stays there if not he swaps with Ramsey (right wing).

Then with the extra cash we have, we sign Welch and some bad, hard nosed forwards - Griffin will sort them out. McGuire, bigO, and two others. Lose Merrin, K Ellis and Lawrie.
Lol possm.

Imagine the phone call to Bellamy.

possm

Coach
Lol possm.

Imagine the phone call to Bellamy.
Roberts for JAC is exactly what Bellamy wants and is demanding in order to release JAC. But JAC wants the fullback position which Souths already have Mitchell and Allen to do that job. On the other hand, we don't have our fullback position settled and may be happy to give JAC the job in 2021.

ALSGI

Bench
Roberts for JAC is exactly what Bellamy wants and is demanding in order to release JAC. But JAC wants the fullback position which Souths already have Mitchell and Allen to do that job. On the other hand, we don't have our fullback position settled and may be happy to give JAC the job in 2021.
The Mole: Angry Rabbitohs could dump Joseph Suaalii plans to sign Josh Addo-Carr.

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/1ff69162-2f75-4b50-8872-7df41372c9fd

...I know it’s only the mole

SGMax

Juniors
The Mole: Angry Rabbitohs could dump Joseph Suaalii plans to sign Josh Addo-Carr.

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/1ff69162-2f75-4b50-8872-7df41372c9fd

...I know it’s only the mole

JAC to Souths can only work if the fullback demand is a cash grab.
He may get FB money but not the position at Souths.

Dragons are likely the only team that has the cap space and the FB position up for grabs.
I like the idea but not if we pay extra for a FB and end up with just a winger.

possm

Coach
JAC to Souths can only work if the fullback demand is a cash grab.
He may get FB money but not the position at Souths.

Dragons are likely the only team that has the cap space and the FB position up for grabs.
I like the idea but not if we pay extra for a FB and end up with just a winger.
Clauses in his cotract. Extra bonus if he retains the fullback spot. Whatever the case 700k for JAC is OK by me.

thebigredv

First Grade
How many backs do souths want.
Johnston was going now staying , the young guy signing.
Now addo carr.
Money pit of money.

We can but only sit on the sideline and stare in amazement at how some of these clubs can just throw money at just about whoever they want. Year after year the same clubs seem to do it. If something was actually being done about it than some clubs would be found out horribly, and we would have a very different competition. It's the elephant in the room that no one but the powerless fans of opposition clubs can call foul play on.

I realise in instances like the Morris boys and Johnston players stay for loyalty/success but in the majority there's clearly some dodgy business going on and it really compounds the poor management that goes on in clubs like ours.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Reports out of Melbourne suggest that Bellamy is not sold on Jahrome Hughes as half back. Bellamy may want Hunt in the role and Hunt may fancy joining a team who will challenge for a premiership before he retires. We pick up JAC in return.

The Badger

Juniors
Reports out of Melbourne suggest that Bellamy is not sold on Jahrome Hughes as half back. Bellamy may want Hunt in the role and Hunt may fancy joining a team who will challenge for a premiership before he retires. We pick up JAC in return.
Gee if Bellamy wants Hunt I would swap Hughes for him any day of the week.He is one of the most improved players in the competition.

Old Timer

Coach
Bellamy want Hunt as 1st pick half lol.

The only way Hunt gets to Melbourne is if Bellamy goes north and leaves Storm to their own devices and even then unlikely.