What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Past demons and premiership pressure

Noise

Coach
I don't want to blame Arthur - no coach has ever had to deal with something like a covid-enforced break, so it was impossible to determine which was the right call to make.
No coach had to deal with the covid break? 15 other NRL coaches also had to deal with the covid enforced break.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So a perspective from someone without any baggage - my wife.

She rarely watches any football except for Origin. She watched the whole game last night which was unusual.

A couple of things - she is now a massive Gutho fan. She marvelled at his involvement and energy. Secondly, she was of the view that the effort was there but they were just a little unlucky at times and occasionally a bit dumb.

After losing MJ, Sivo and Fergo we did better than most thought we would. You only have to go back and look at comments on the forum yesterday morning!

That said it still sucks that we have come up short. It’s only after a game of golf this morning and a couple of Coopers that I have gained some perspective. I was f**ken pissed off last night!

hybrideel

Bench
I don't agree with this. We as a club always blame the halfback. I think we should get over finding the next Thurston or Johns or Sterling.

Don't forget we got into the Grand Final with Jeff Robson and Finch. Robson was a park footballer and even Melbourne Storm couldn't fix Finch he was so terrible.

Finch played against us in the GF. He played the first 4 games for us at 7 with Hayne at 6 which we won 2 of.
We then tried other combinations of Robson, K.Keating, Meteo, and Reddy before Mortimer came in to partner Robson

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Wanted to make a new thread where there isn’t too much player or coach bashing.

Simple question.

Are the demons of our ‘failures’ from 1997-2009 and premiership pressure to break our drought coming back to haunt us?

We’ve been good enough to make 3 finals series’ appearances under BA. Could of been 4 if not for the rorts of 2016. We’ve gone out in straight sets each occasion except for last years win over the broncos.

Is it a mental thing that’s stopping this team? We’ve been in many games Only to fold like toilet paper.

thoughts? Are we still feeling the effects of the Brian smith years? Are those failures having a bearing on us today?
I don't think it affects anyone except the fans. The players and coaches wouldn't give a f**k. Most of them wouldn't even remember those games, if they ever watched them in the first place.

As for why we seem to drop our bundle in big games I reckon it's for the same reason we did under Smith. We overachieve (due to Smith's tactics and Arthur's drive) so that we end up in a lot of games we aren't really entitled to win based on our roster. We hardly ever have players in Origin, compared to the top sides, and we lack the on field generals (the best clubs have several) to grip shit up when it starts to go wrong.

Gutherson is a great leader and Dylan Brown showed plenty of heart last night. But his inexperience was really evident. The merkin was still eligible for Jersey Flegg this year. He will be a great player, and we have the makings of a pretty good team. I expect us to be at least as good next year, depending on recruitment (including replacing Mennings, if necessary) and injury. It looks like we're going to have f**k all NRL experience outside our top 17, which hasn't been the case in recent years.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

She rarely watches any football except for Origin. She watched the whole game last night which was unusual.

A couple of things - she is now a massive Gutho fan. She marvelled at his involvement and energy. Secondly, she was of the view that the effort was there but they were just a little unlucky at times and occasionally a bit dumb.
f**ken get her on here so we can put shit on her!

Eelementary

Post Whore
No coach had to deal with the covid break? 15 other NRL coaches also had to deal with the covid enforced break.

I meant that it hasn't happened before in history. I wasn't saying he was the only one subjected to it.

Noise

Coach

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They played the team who came 6th winning 60% of their games. We also played the team who came 6th who won 58% of their games. They played a team with 3 current origin stars. We played a team with 3 current origin stars. Pretty similar if you ask me.
If you think that Manly semi final team was in any way comparable to last night's Souths team we'll have to agree to disagree. For starters they only had two current Origin players, with Trbojevic out. And Souths had five in Origin last year.

Gronk

Staff member

After losing MJ, Sivo and Fergo we did better than most thought we would. You only have to go back and look at comments on the forum yesterday morning!

That said it still sucks that we have come up short. It’s only after a game of golf this morning and a couple of Coopers that I have gained some perspective. I was f**ken pissed off last night!
Yeah that’s what big Mal said. :stuck_out_tongue:

strider

Post Whore

she just likes Gutho's gyrating hips and flowing locks

Avenger

Immortal
I don't think it affects anyone except the fans. The players and coaches wouldn't give a f**k. Most of them wouldn't even remember those games, if they ever watched them in the first place.

As for why we seem to drop our bundle in big games I reckon it's for the same reason we did under Smith. We overachieve (due to Smith's tactics and Arthur's drive) so that we end up in a lot of games we aren't really entitled to win based on our roster. We hardly ever have players in Origin, compared to the top sides, and we lack the on field generals (the best clubs have several) to grip shit up when it starts to go wrong.

Gutherson is a great leader and Dylan Brown showed plenty of heart last night. But his inexperience was really evident. The merkin was still eligible for Jersey Flegg this year. He will be a great player, and we have the makings of a pretty good team. I expect us to be at least as good next year, depending on recruitment (including replacing Mennings, if necessary) and injury. It looks like we're going to have f**k all NRL experience outside our top 17, which hasn't been the case in recent years.
Good post, Pou.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
this subject is like believing in the Easter Bunny and fairies

all in the mind

Latest posts