What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
We should offer the cowboys a swap (yeah I know it’s not that simple) Moses for Morgan.....

does Moses have history with Todd? Does Morgan need a change ??

I still rate Moses and he offers plenty and think he will go ok next year for us, but if there are better options we should look at it. And think the finally key for our squad (along with some depth / fringe signings) is getting a rep half .....

think there is a stat the majority of premiers have a rep player in the halves...,
Morgan would be the only realistic option I’d swap Moses for. Even then it’d be a close run thing and that would be after doing due diligence on Morgan’s health.

But still if Moses can refind even half of his 2019 form I think he’s the best option.
Thinking back on it, we had a heap of players have career years in 2019 (Sivo, Menko, Moses, Lane & Rheed) and most others had acceptable years, and we finished 5th, bundled in straight.
This year we probably had more players having comparatively shit years (Sivo, Fergo, Moses, Lane, most of bench) than those that had great years (RCG, Paulo, Nrown & Marata when he was available) and yet we finished 3rd. Although lot of other teams/players outside the Smugfers also probably played better last year than this

Gazzamatta

Coach
I wouldn’t mind French coming back.
I never wanted him to leave. I thought his CC form at 5/8 prior to him leaving was good. Maybe a change of coach, team mates and surroundings has done him good. Id be happy to see him come back but what is it with dumping them then getting them back? Is it admitting we were wrong or maybe they just want a "gap year".
Hopefully Norman and Peats dont follow.

Gronk

Staff member
I wouldn’t mind French coming back.
You think that the NRL have forgotten about his show n go ? :p

Yeah I'd have him back but he won't be starting every week. Is that what he wants ?

Our halves missed (say) 7 games this year. Would we have been comfortable in playing French at 6 for those games ? By the looks of things Haze is happy to ruck the ball back, so is French a contender for wing ? If he did play wing teams would kick to him all day and we'd be playing tackle 2 deep inside our half every time. Please no.

Avenger

Immortal
I never wanted him to leave. I thought his CC form at 5/8 prior to him leaving was good. Maybe a change of coach, team mates and surroundings has done him good. Id be happy to see him come back but what is it with dumping them then getting them back? Is it admitting we were wrong or maybe they just want a "gap year".
No chance I’d want the other two. I hope Asiata is still a chance.

I’d go a little left field and enquire about Rudolph from the Sharks.

Avenger

Immortal
You think that the NRL have forgotten about his show n go ? :p

Yeah I'd have him back but he won't be starting every week. Is that what he wants ?

Our halves missed (say) 7 games this year. Would we have been comfortable in playing French at 6 for those games ? By the looks of things Haze is happy to ruck the ball back, so is French a contender for wing ? If he did play wing teams would kick to him all day and we'd be playing tackle 2 deep inside our half every time. Please no.
Why not play him at centre?

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon it’s a case of we need to fill out our squad so we’ll get the best available at the right price. French is like the small version of Sivo, exceptional at times, a hindrance at others.
He’s a good fast player but unless his attitude has changed, he isn’t a NRL winger, it’d be a strange move if he moved Gutho (and again kick returns would be a weakness), he isn’t as good as Drown, we loses Moses long kicks if he replaces him and if he is utility off the bench then where does he defend and what utility does he provide?

Avenger

Immortal
Fine in attack, but I can’t see his defence being up to it. And not necessarily his size/tackling but reading and decision making
That can be taught. ET was an awful defender at first and later became one of the best defensive centres in the game combined with sizzling attack.

84 Baby

Referee
That can be taught. ET was an awful defender at first and later became one of the best defensive centres in the game combined with sizzling attack.
So you’d be happy to wait a couple of seasons?
The only way I seem him being a regular is if Gutho moves to centre but that’s weakening Guncos strength and exposing French’s kick returns

Glenneel

Bench
Of course that’s the dream goal for every club and coach each year.
But there’s a thing called a realist goal, which every club would set.
For example the Dogs wouldn’t have had a goal of winning the comp this year, probably more realistic to finish in the top of the bottom 8.
With the injuries and MJ situation that happened at the end of the season, the way we finished would be a pass mark, only just but it would be!

There’s 16 teams in the comp, only 1 coach is winning the competition each year. Most coaches are judged on improvements each year, BA has been improving
Of course only one team can win the premiership but after 7 years under BA, with a premiership roster, we haven't even played a premiership qualifier match. We're still not even rated by the 'experts' as having a chance during the finals. We need change!

Pazza

First Grade
Of course only one team can win the premiership but after 7 years under BA, with a premiership roster, we haven't even played a premiership qualifier match. We're still not even rated by the 'experts' as having a chance during the finals. We need change!

The seat is warming. Still give the guy another season or two but.....

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
We've lost Gower, Kane, Stefano and Peni from the middle out of our top 30.
He’d bring the energy we missed this year but I see him more as I said the Nrown/Marata type of which we already have Nrown and Marata. Plus surely Rudolf is looking for a starting spot and who knows what’s happening with his contract. Is he still going to NZ?

Latest posts