What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

George Sancti

Juniors
Ah! What a difference 24hrs can make. Our blank signings board suddenly lit up like a Christmas tree.

Isn't it great we finally have something to talk about in a somewhat positive sense!

Just as a refresher, these are 'some' of the names being bandied about:

Posa F
Joe O
Bird
McGuire
Napa
Tom Amone
TPJ

Nothing official from the club and nothing certain 'till they do, but, some pretty big names being linked. I'd be happy if we officially signed 1.

You are correct Dragonslayer and it is great to see the increased levels of optimism, irrespective of whether you agree or disagree with the comments.

possm

Coach
People should look no further than the fact that there is a new CEO at the NRL these days. He is determined to clean up the controversy surrounding salary cap issues. The Roosters have a significant percentage of their salary cap and other payment schemes investeed into Tedesco who I hear has already signaled wants an upgrade to his current deal.

The Roosters will lose their second string fullback to another club and maybe even lose the services of another key player if they don't make some adjustments to there list. Who would have thought that the Roosters would be also looking to offload their bright young Flanagan as well?

I'm not completely convinced that the Rooster can/will offload Tedesco but I am sure this option is on the table for consideration.

possm

Coach
Where did the Dylan Napa rumour come from. Can’t find anything.
He is free to negotiate from Nov 1.
There have been a few reports regarding this over the past few months however, in a recent report the suggest that Tedesco is asking for a three year 3.3m extension was made.

' the fact they have to re-sign James Tedesco beyond next year.

I’m told his camp is asking for enormous money, he’s looking for probably a three-year extension worth $3.3 million. He’s got one year to go.'

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/38e669bf87ed456497e3bcb19858ce48

You know if we off-loaded Norman, Hunt and Saab and added to that the savings we have made with the loss of Aitken and Lafai, we could easily afford to sign Tedesco at 1.1m per season over 3 years and Kyle Flanagan at 500k per season over 3 years. Such a move would significantly upgrade the Dragons backline:

Tedesco
Feagai
Lomax
Feagai
Ramsey
Flanagan
Sullivan

Does anyone believe that the above backline would not be a huge upgrade on what we have now?

I say we can afford this and should go for it.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
There have been a few reports regarding this over the past few months however, in a recent report the suggest that Tedesco is asking for a three year 3.3m extension was made.

' the fact they have to re-sign James Tedesco beyond next year.

I’m told his camp is asking for enormous money, he’s looking for probably a three-year extension worth $3.3 million. He’s got one year to go.'

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/38e669bf87ed456497e3bcb19858ce48

You know if we off-loaded Norman, Hunt and Saab and added to that the savings we have made with the loss of Aitken and Lafai, we could easily afford to sign Tedesco at 1.1m per season over 3 years and Kyle Flanagan at 500k per season over 3 years. Such a move would significantly upgrade the Dragons backline:

Tedesco
Feagai
Lomax
Feagai
Ramsey
Flanagan
Sullivan

Does anyone believe that the above backline would not be a huge upgrade on what we have now?

I say we can afford this and should go for it.
No where in that article would there be an inkling that Roosters will not extend Tedesco nor will he leave. They will pay that because ATM he is worth it.
We would have to offer 1.5 a season and even then Roosters will still be his destination or as other great players do...go from 1 super club to another club gpoing well....so I guess thats Millward's fault.
Lower your excitement @possm, come back to where we really are as a club ATM, it will help your blood pressure and through our changing of the guard
One day soon hopefully we can shoot for those stars, but not yet.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
No we dont go for it. No where in that article would there be an inkling that Roosters will not extend Tedesco nor will he leave. They will pay that because ATM he is worth it.
We would have to offer 1.5 a season and even then Roosters will still be his destination
If the Roosters are hesitant to pay Tedesco's asking price - and I have it on good authority they are - then there is no need to pay more than the asking price.
Tedesco 1.1m Hunt 1m - to Roosters
Flanagan 500k Norman 850k - To Broncos
Feagai 250k Saab 200k - to Eels
Feagai 250k Aitken 350k - gone
Ramsey 250k Lafai 400k - gone
Total 2.35m Total 2.8m

Enough left over to buy a good edge forward.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Tedesco will not be leaving the Roosters anytime soon, if at all. If there's any 'apparant' hesitation it has only to do with the yet unknown or ratified cap for 2021, with some reports it could be $1m less next year, then what will it be after that moving into 2022 and beyond.

Tedesco and/or JAC coming to the Dragons has the same odds as an elephant walking on the moon ie not impossible but highly improbable.

Dragon David

First Grade
Tedesco will not be leaving the Roosters anytime soon, if at all. If there's any 'apparant' hesitation it has only to do with the yet unknown or ratified cap for 2021, with some reports it could be $1m less next year, then what will it be after that moving into 2022 and beyond.

Tedesco and/or JAC coming to the Dragons has the same odds as an elephant walking on the moon ie not impossible but highly improbable.
Or Donald Trump being the Prime Minister of Australia!!

possm

Coach
Speaking of fullbacks, I'm confident Dufty, will at the very least, start the season there.

Waiting in the 'wings' would be:
Ramsey
Schiller
Sloan

And if all else fails:
Lomax
Williame
Bird (if signing confirmed)

These can all play fullback.
So if we had the chance to sign Tedesco, would you choose any of the above over Tedesco?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So if we had the chance to sign Tedesco, would you choose any of the above over Tedesco?

Yes, I would and for the simple fact of economic value. No doubt Tedesco is a great player, however, at the $$ quoted, it would leave us really exposed under the cap.

Further, I suggest young Sloan will be something special, very special.

Would you risk losing him, or the Feagai's or Ramsey or ALL of them just to sign 1 player, who would be 29 when this mega contract starts and would be 32 at its completion?

epDragon62

First Grade
If the Roosters are hesitant to pay Tedesco's asking price - and I have it on good authority they are - then there is no need to pay more than the asking price.
Total 2.35m Total 2.8m

oh Poss, normally I just chuckle at your often outlandish musings on the forum but Tedesco for Hunt... really, what are you smoking?

BLM01

First Grade
Total 2.35m Total 2.8m

On good authority...oh OK. Which media journo or social media account speculated that.
What I dont understand...why do you want Flanagan and paying him so much. That is bizarre!!!
I'd rather Hunt, Clune, Sullivan or any other young up and comer in our halves.
Roosters not wanting him should tell you enough over unproven halves.
Let Barrett and the Dogs bring him in to their out of balance roster.
Besides Shane Flanagan might be one of the assistants there next year ;)

possm

Coach
Yes, I would and for the simple fact of economic value. No doubt Tedesco is a great player, however, at the $$ quoted, it would leave us really exposed under the cap.

Further, I suggest young Sloan will be something special, very special.

Would you risk losing him, or the Feagai's or Ramsey or ALL of them just to sign 1 player, who would be 29 when this mega contract starts and would be 32 at its completion?
So you ignore the fact that Tedesco is price similar to that of Hunt and the Roosters are looking for a halfback to replace Flanagan.

possm

Coach
On good authority...oh OK. Which media journo or social media account speculated that.
What I dont understand...why do you want Flanagan and paying him so much. That is bizarre!!!
I'd rather Hunt, Clune, Sullivan or any other young up and comer in our halves.
Roosters not wanting him should tell you enough over unproven halves.
Let Barrett and the Dogs bring him in to their out of balance roster.
Besides Shane Flanagan might be one of the assistants there next year ;)
Flanagan is an after thought. The Tedesco for Hunt is my interest as Hunt is on a long term contract and not performing to our expectations. The opportunity is now and so, I believe we should go for it.

It is very clear that he is the top fullback in the game at the moment and so would remedy the problems we currently have at the back. I really don't have a problem with Flanagan going to the Dogs as we have plenty of young halves coming through and I believe teh Clune/Sullivan partnership is adequate for now.

Norman is a big problem but at lease we only have him for one season if we can't off-load him.