What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragonslayer

First Grade
It doesn't matter who they are ir who they were, wether they were a good, fringe or journeyman player, each and every one were extensively McGregored.

A new era, a new chapter, is about to dawn upon us. Some players may riae and some may fall. We have no insight into this until we can see, or not see, changes in our behaviours and the way we play.

The recruitement process and targeted players over the next few weeks will give us some idea of were Hook sees our deficiencies.

blacksafake

First Grade
Can a club theoretically get insurance for such a deal ? Say sign up for 500k and get 50% of salary back if he doesn't play at least 60% of games ? Premiums i guess would have to be added to his expense , say 100k in insurance a year ? All we would then miss is a player in the 30 ?
Like your thinking denis but it's probably too hard to organise this sort of conract.
I can't see any manager signing off on it as well.

SEAT 1A

Bench
It doesn't matter who they are ir who they were, wether they were a good, fringe or journeyman player, each and every one were extensively McGregored.

A new era, a new chapter, is about to dawn upon us. Some players may riae and some may fall. We have no insight into this until we can see, or not see, changes in our behaviours and the way we play.

The recruitement process and targeted players over the next few weeks will give us some idea of were Hook sees our deficiencies.

With the squad that will be assembled next year, can't see the club reaching the finals.

You never know though, the players will react to the new coach's that actually can motivate, improve and what I think is the most important part, communicate. For goodness sake, Mary had no idea of some of their names.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Channel 7 and Triple M reporting that Dragons have signed Jack Bird on a 2 yr deal - Ofahengaue set to sign on a 3 year deal and Dragons still in negotiations with McGuire

Apparently the Bird deal is done as you say BR, 2yrs but no details other than that.

Edge forward or lock (if things don't go in JDB favour) imo.

BLM01

First Grade
Channel 7 and Triple M reporting that Dragons have signed Jack Bird on a 2 yr deal - Ofahengaue set to sign on a 3 year deal and Dragons still in negotiations with McGuire
In regards to Bird and Joe O
Everyone has their opinion on them.
but for me I’m okay with it because I’ll probably rely more on the word of our new assistant coach, who just happened to be the Broncos assistant and interim coach last year, who now works and obviously had talks to our new head coach about whether these players would be worth a shot.
That’s all assuming the new recruitment secretary Millward can get the paperwork done

ALSGI

Bench
Can’t see Bird is going to happen.

Just had a quick look at the Broncos HQ forum and there’s nothing there on him leaving in fact to the contrary, they’re discussing what position he’ll play in 21. They’ve lost Staggs for half of next year so can’t see them letting Bird go now especially paying about half his 800k+ contract for us.

Just makes no sense at all on either side
then there’s the huge risk to us.

They’re all happy to see Offa’s go though, not a good thing said on him.

mickeylane

Bench
Can’t see Bird is going to happen.

Just had a quick look at the Broncos HQ forum and there’s nothing there on him leaving in fact to the contrary, they’re discussing what position he’ll play in 21. They’ve lost Staggs for half of next year so can’t see them letting Bird go now especially paying about half his 800k+ contract for us.

Just makes no sense at all on either side
then there’s the huge risk to us.

They’re all happy to see Offa’s go though, not a good thing said on him.
Just reported on 2GB will sign a 2 year deal with Drons early next week w Broncos wearing $350K of next years contract and Dragons 100% of the 2nd year whatever the $$ are..it must be close

BLM01

First Grade
Just reported on 2GB will sign a 2 year deal with Drons early next week w Broncos wearing $350K of next years contract and Dragons 100% of the 2nd year whatever the $$ are..it must be close
He only has 1 year left at broncos. Dragons bauked at only 350K covered by Brisbane as he will be on 975K next year. Dragons want it at a level where they only put in 500K if not less.
Then he will be on a 2nd year with us on $$?. What is he really worth ATM is to be neg.Dragons obviously think near 1/2 his current salary.

qld redvee

Juniors
He only has 1 year left at broncos. Dragons bauked at only 350K covered by Brisbane as he will be on 975K next year. Dragons want it at a level where they only put in 500K if not less.
Then he will be on a 2nd year with us on $$?. What is he really worth ATM is to be neg.Dragons obviously think near 1/2 his current salary.
BLM01,
I wouldnt want to pay over 500k per year for bird but agree that gentle must have had a fair bit of input into this .. I like the idea of jack at 5/8 or fullback IF he is 100% fit . I remeber watching him in the 20s dominate every position on the field and then to perform with the gummies was hard to watch .
He is an improvement for the team and if the body holds up then a running forward ( frizz) could be ideal
It looks like we are building slowly and hopefully once the salary cap figure is finalised then hook can add the final pieces. At least we will improve in 21 and hopefully dragons footy is finally binned and never sees the light of day again

Como Connection

First Grade
BLM01,
I wouldnt want to pay over 500k per year for bird but agree that gentle must have had a fair bit of input into this .. I like the idea of jack at 5/8 or fullback IF he is 100% fit . I remeber watching him in the 20s dominate every position on the field and then to perform with the gummies was hard to watch .
He is an improvement for the team and if the body holds up then a running forward ( frizz) could be ideal
It looks like we are building slowly and hopefully once the salary cap figure is finalised then hook can add the final pieces. At least we will improve in 21 and hopefully dragons footy is finally binned and never sees the light of day again
Running forward looks obvious to me!
CC

Maddragon99

Juniors
BLM01,

left Centre or Lock if de Belin doesn’t come back.

Broncos $975k star’s move to Dragons ‘will happen’ with Griffin ‘a big fan’
fa3a3874d4fb7e4a6f120dca95d261b3

Jack Bird looks set to join the Dragons.
Unwanted Broncos star Jack Bird is expected to sign with the Dragons when the two clubs can strike a deal to let him leave Red Hill with one year to run on his massive contract.

Bird has had a torrid run with injuries in Brisbane and wants to move home to Sydney, but the Dragons want the Broncos to pitch in a large portion of his monster contract.

“There was some Twitter activity today that Jack has done a deal with St George Illawarra,” Brent Read said on Triple M.

placeholder.jpg

“This deal is not close at the moment, but I think it will happen just because there is an appetite on both sides for it to happen.

“Now there is talks going on, but I think those talks have hit a bit of an impasse at the moment. I don’t think it has progressed to the stage where there is an agreement in place.

“There is a couple of issues at play. Jack is on a huge contract next year. He has one year left and he has a $975,000 deal.

“St George are not going to foot the entirety of that bill. Somehow they have got to work out a way where Brisbane will pitch in enough money.

“I believe Brisbane offered to put in $200,000 initially then they offered to put in $300,000 and both times the Dragons said that was not enough.”

Bird has managed just two tries in 17 games in his three seasons at the Broncos since moving from the Sharks in 2018 and didn’t play at all in 2020 due to a knee injury.

However he is a premiership winner from his time at the Sharks and at his best is an Origin player having played five games for the Blues in 2016 and 2017.

Read believes a deal will be struck because it is in both sides’ interests to make it happen. The Dragons need a strike player and the Broncos need to offload his monster contract to create a more balanced squad.

“There is certainly an appetite at the Dragons for Jack Bird,” Read said.

“There is an appetite for Brisbane to let Jack Bird go and head back to Sydney because as they understand it that is what Jack wants.

“The other challenge for the Dragons is that they would have to give him a two-year-deal so they would have to give him another year.

“That is a challenge because what is he worth? No one really knows.”

f1b8fcb5de0e05017b9c6befbe3b3c98

Jack Bird, Brisbane Broncos training, Red Hill. Photographer: Liam Kidston.
The Dragons are looking at him as a potential fullback, centre or lock, according to Read, but Warriors coach Nathan Brown believes he can play anywhere as long as he gets his body right.

“There was a suggestion they were looking at him as a fullback, but obviously Matt Dufty is there at the moment,” Read said.

“I would have thought potentially in the centres or at lock. They have Jack de Belin there, but there is obviously a question mark over him.

“As I understand it Anthony Griffin is a big fan of Jack Bird, so I think it will happen it is just a matter of when.”

“If his body holds up he can play anywhere,” Brown said.

“He is just a good player. He can play anywhere as long as he is fit.”

LINK ADDED BY MODERATOR: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7c2a8d92038631c4aa3a30fad931372a
PLEASE REMEMBER TO DO THIS YOURSELF IN FUTURE

Last edited by a moderator:

blacksafake

First Grade
left Centre or Lock if de Belin doesn’t come back.

Broncos $975k star’s move to Dragons ‘will happen’ with Griffin ‘a big fan’
fa3a3874d4fb7e4a6f120dca95d261b3

Jack Bird looks set to join the Dragons.
Unwanted Broncos star Jack Bird is expected to sign with the Dragons when the two clubs can strike a deal to let him leave Red Hill with one year to run on his massive contract.

Bird has had a torrid run with injuries in Brisbane and wants to move home to Sydney, but the Dragons want the Broncos to pitch in a large portion of his monster contract.

“There was some Twitter activity today that Jack has done a deal with St George Illawarra,” Brent Read said on Triple M.

placeholder.jpg

“This deal is not close at the moment, but I think it will happen just because there is an appetite on both sides for it to happen.

“Now there is talks going on, but I think those talks have hit a bit of an impasse at the moment. I don’t think it has progressed to the stage where there is an agreement in place.

“There is a couple of issues at play. Jack is on a huge contract next year. He has one year left and he has a $975,000 deal.

“St George are not going to foot the entirety of that bill. Somehow they have got to work out a way where Brisbane will pitch in enough money.

“I believe Brisbane offered to put in $200,000 initially then they offered to put in $300,000 and both times the Dragons said that was not enough.”

Bird has managed just two tries in 17 games in his three seasons at the Broncos since moving from the Sharks in 2018 and didn’t play at all in 2020 due to a knee injury.

However he is a premiership winner from his time at the Sharks and at his best is an Origin player having played five games for the Blues in 2016 and 2017.

Read believes a deal will be struck because it is in both sides’ interests to make it happen. The Dragons need a strike player and the Broncos need to offload his monster contract to create a more balanced squad.

“There is certainly an appetite at the Dragons for Jack Bird,” Read said.

“There is an appetite for Brisbane to let Jack Bird go and head back to Sydney because as they understand it that is what Jack wants.

“The other challenge for the Dragons is that they would have to give him a two-year-deal so they would have to give him another year.

“That is a challenge because what is he worth? No one really knows.”

f1b8fcb5de0e05017b9c6befbe3b3c98

Jack Bird, Brisbane Broncos training, Red Hill. Photographer: Liam Kidston.
The Dragons are looking at him as a potential fullback, centre or lock, according to Read, but Warriors coach Nathan Brown believes he can play anywhere as long as he gets his body right.

“There was a suggestion they were looking at him as a fullback, but obviously Matt Dufty is there at the moment,” Read said.

“I would have thought potentially in the centres or at lock. They have Jack de Belin there, but there is obviously a question mark over him.

“As I understand it Anthony Griffin is a big fan of Jack Bird, so I think it will happen it is just a matter of when.”

“If his body holds up he can play anywhere,” Brown said.

“He is just a good player. He can play anywhere as long as he is fit.”

LINK ADDED BY MODERATOR: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7c2a8d92038631c4aa3a30fad931372a
PLEASE REMEMBER TO DO THIS YOURSELF IN FUTURE

Plenty of if’s involved in this signing.