What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves 2021

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Hunt at 7 and Sullivan at 6 for mine. Norman in reserve grade, Clune as first choice backup. Hopefully, whatever way we go the chosen combination will get a game or two in the pre-season to build some sort of combination
There may be some benefit in trialling Snoreman as 14..

At the moment he only injects himself into the game in small spurts, so why not capitalise on that..

A fresh Corey taking on a tired defence could provide some W-factor (can’t go as far as to call him X-factor)..

Plus could be used as part of the forwards rotation - send Hunt into hooker when he comes on..

Really gives the coach a chance to see if he can make it or not too, as he’ll have to pull his finger out in the limited time he has..

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Griffin has sort of shown his hand if you believe the papers by saying he wants Bird. That says to me he doesn't want Norman. Unless Norman suddenly starts playing out of his skin (and he could - it is the last year of his contract), I reckon it will be a Hunt/Sullivan combo.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Griffin has sort of shown his hand if you believe the papers by saying he wants Bird. That says to me he doesn't want Norman. Unless Norman suddenly starts playing out of his skin (and he could - it is the last year of his contract), I reckon it will be a Hunt/Sullivan combo.
Where do you reckon he’d play Bird, I think 5/8. That would be a Bird Hunt.

Old Timer

Coach
With Soward coming to the club as our kicking coach hopefully that increases the value of Clune, Sullivan in the halves & Mc Innes at hooker to the team.

If they all benefit from Sowies input then there will be far less reliance on Hunt and/or Norman being selected.

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
There may be some benefit in trialling Snoreman as 14..

At the moment he only injects himself into the game in small spurts, so why not capitalise on that..

A fresh Corey taking on a tired defence could provide some W-factor (can’t go as far as to call him X-factor)..

Plus could be used as part of the forwards rotation - send Hunt into hooker when he comes on..

Really gives the coach a chance to see if he can make it or not too, as he’ll have to pull his finger out in the limited time he has..
I see Norman as the square peg trying to fit into the round hole. No matter where he plays the same issues will pop up over and over

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
With Soward coming to the club as our kicking coach hopefully that increases the value of Clune, Sullivan in the halves & Mc Innes at hooker to the team.

If they all benefit from Sowies input then there will be far less reliance on Hunt and/or Norman being selected.
Wouldn’t mind adding a long kick to Dufty and improving Lomax’s kicking game too. He’s won games with field goals in the lower grades. Would be handy to have a bloke that could take one when needed plus I reckon he’d transition to 5/8 very well.

SBD82

Coach
Wouldn’t mind adding a long kick to Dufty and improving Lomax’s kicking game too. He’s won games with field goals in the lower grades. Would be handy to have a bloke that could take one when needed plus I reckon he’d transition to 5/8 very well.
I’d be curious about a long term transition to 6 for Lomax. Have him playing a Wighton or Munster style role where the first option is to run.

possm

Coach
If they are still with us and train / play poorly that’s exactly where they should be.

No point in picking them on the basis of $$$$ they earn and there is plenty of evidence to say why that is.
I'd rather get rid of both Norman and Hunt and spend the time developing our young halves and the money recruiting some decent forwards.

possm

Coach
There's some work for Soward. Get it done before start of season.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’d be curious about a long term transition to 6 for Lomax. Have him playing a Wighton or Munster style role where the first option is to run.
That game he played at fullback, although bad under the high ball (It was round 1 and pissing down) He set up a couple of tries and put in a nice grubber that just ended up too deep. In the trials he was standing at 7 a fair bit too. I reckon he would have more success than Gasnier did. He's big, fast has good footwork and passing is supremely fit and as mentioned can kick field goals. I doubt it will happen but if it did I would be very curious.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
There's some work for Soward. Get it done before start of season.
Yeah easy done just get a group together and set up some drills, giving them pointers along the way. Our kicking game is letting us down big time. In the Soward days even when we didn't produce a good set he could always turn it into one with a nice deep grassing kick. Will be very nice to have a coach that doesn't just focus on attack or defence but purely on kicking. Much needed.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints will have a fair bit of cash for 2022 when Norman leaves (hopefully). They will have 850k (from memory) which is decent coin. At least if Sullivan kills it next season they can throw that at him and keep him for a while in the red V. Same with Ramsey, they will have some cash to retain him longer if his impressive form continues.

Old Timer

Coach
Indeed that would also help and investing in them rather than Norman & Hunt would be time extremely well spent.

Old Timer

Coach
Saints will have a fair bit of cash for 2022 when Norman leaves (hopefully). They will have 850k (from memory) which is decent coin. At least if Sullivan kills it next season they can throw that at him and keep him for a while in the red V. Same with Ramsey, they will have some cash to retain him longer if his impressive form continues.
I think the conundrum with Ramsey & Sullivan is that we should look to extend them now if possible and not wait till they become even better as that will then be much tougher to hold onto them whilst still not yet fully established but showing even more potential.

As my dear old dad would say it's one of those times you either shit in the pot or get off it.

redv13

Bench
Yeah easy done just get a group together and set up some drills, giving them pointers along the way. Our kicking game is letting us down big time. In the Soward days even when we didn't produce a good set he could always turn it into one with a nice deep grassing kick. Will be very nice to have a coach that doesn't just focus on attack or defence but purely on kicking. Much needed.
Yep the amount of 7 tackle restarts were a joke and hardly any repeat sets. Very frustrating to watch every week