What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves 2021

BLM01

First Grade
Yep the amount of 7 tackle restarts were a joke and hardly any repeat sets. Very frustrating to watch every week
It was because of our gun kicker Sowie :) that the 7 tackle thing got introduced anyway. Now he is back to teach us how to avoid the thing..geezus

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It was because of our gun kicker Sowie :) that the 7 tackle thing got introduced anyway. Now he is back to teach us how to avoid the thing..geezus
Yeah but he also found the sideline plenty and heaps of forced dropouts. He was just operating under the rules of the day. I’m sure he studies the modern game and will adjust tactics to suit.

Draginzaaar

Bench
I'm a fan of the Dufty 6, Sullivan 7 halves combination. With Soward working on their kicking game, my view is that the attacking skills of these two halves will cause the opposition major headaches. Griffin will have his work cut out getting these two players up to scratch in defence however, I feel sure he can do it.

The obvious bonus of selecting these two as our halves pairing, is the possibility of offloading of both Norman and Hunt and making more salary cap available to purchase the forwards we need to compete with the rest of the competition.

I believe that, with these two halves, together with our young speedy backline, and with two first grade props and a first rate edge forward, we would see the Saints competing for a top 4 spot in 2021.

Why do you keep saying offloading Hunt and Norman? You can't offload them if they don't want to go. No one will pay what they are on. Stop going on about it.

Draginzaaar

Bench
This is one of the great mysteries of 2021 (and onwards).

Is it going to be: who will be v who should be?

The big question (imo) surrounds Norman and will he even be here next season? Atm we have to assume so.

We also will, most likely, experience something we havent seen for 7 or 8 years ie; A proper game plan.

It is the assumption of the past performance v the prediction of everything new under a professional coaching team. Mmmmm.

So, i will go with (stc of course)
1st grade - Hunt/Norman
CC - Sullivan/Clune
JF - Amone

There is also young Wishart to slot in somewhere as well.

In saying all that, I think there are 3 driving factors that will influence our 2021 squad, those being:

1. JDB case
2. Will there be a CC comp (given COVID is still rife)
3. Who will coach the CC squad

Interesting times ahead for sure.

COVID is rife in Europe not here. 10 cases in Quarantine and 2 locally acquired is not rife.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
I get your point, and I think what you’re saying has some validity.

It still makes my head explode though. My fear is that we waste another season with Griffin trying to get the best out of them, only to discover that they’re unfixable and we end up in the same position as we are right now.
Good thought,i beleive norman doesn't have the desire to compete physically any more.

Dragons4me

Juniors
Sullivan didn't take a backward step in his one game for mine. I really liked what I saw. I pushed for Dufty to the halves all year but that 6 position is Sullivan's to lose. That was confidence on display.

Splinters

Juniors
Sullivan didn't take a backward step in his one game for mine. I really liked what I saw. I pushed for Dufty to the halves all year but that 6 position is Sullivan's to lose. That was confidence on display.

Just one game but we have seen special young players step up so many times before. Birthday Septmber 2001.19 years old. That's old enough. When you're ready, you're ready. And as for incumbents, no one is owed a spot no matter what money they're on.

possm

Coach
Just one game but we have seen special young players step up so many times before. Birthday Septmber 2001.19 years old. That's old enough. When you're ready, you're ready. And as for incumbents, no one is owed a spot no matter what money they're on.
Hence the reason why I've been supporting the idea that we should find a way to let Norman go.

If we are not going to play Bird at 6, then of course it should be Sullivan's time to shine.

possm

Coach
A fit Bird will partner Lomax in the centre's. That's a pretty lethal combination in my view.
It all depends on the Dragons ability to recruit a replaceemnt for Frizell and retain the services of De Belin as Bird has the ability to play many posinions including backrow and lock. This is not my preferred option as I believe he will be exposed to more heavy contact playing in the forwards.

I like Max Feagai at left centre and given that Griffin prides himself on bring young juniors through, I'm hoping Feagai will take is place in the team at left centre.

So if Dufty is retained at fullback, there is only two other positios open for Bird to take his place in the 17, they ared five-eighth and utility on the bench. This brings us to the ability of Norman to step up and play to marquee level and also Birds level of fitness at the time.

Bird's level of fitness and how his knee recovery has progressed will determine whether he plays off the bench or at all in the early rounds of 2021. If it is the case that Bird is not fit and ready and that Norman has not stepped up, then surely Sullivan, Feagai, Dufty and possibly Ford will be in the 13.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
A fit Bird will partner Lomax
You are correct.
images

possm

Coach
It seems that outside the influence of Mary, Hunt plays a better game and a more attacking style of play. So the focus is now shifted to Norman and whether he can step up or not. So with Hunt at this stage looking to be at 7, Griffin will have 3 options to choose from for 2021:
  • Norman and Hunt
  • Bird and Hunt
  • Sullivan and Hunt

be55

Juniors
You are correct.
images
Be careful Muzby...after lecturing another poster in a different thread about a joke that you perceived to be sexist, some might say that referring jokingly to Jess Sergis as a "BIRD" might be heading down that same path as well...

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Be careful Muzby...after lecturing another poster in a different thread about a joke that you perceived to be sexist, some might say that referring jokingly to Jess Sergis as a "BIRD" might be heading down that same path as well...
Yeah whatever.

be55

Juniors
Yeah whatever.
Sorry mate...i was probably going on a bit of a fishing expedition their looking for a bite...but to your credit you just ignored it...your too smart for me Muzby...

It's been a boring afternoon...

Personally i laughed at your original post...so much so as soon as i post this I'm going to give it a like as well...How does that sound...

Have a good night mate...