What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Schiller

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I believe that Ramsey will be our next fullback but would not be surprised to see Schiller promoted to the first grade fullback position after killing it in at fullback in reserve grade. I might be wrong but I think Dufty was promoted directly into the first grade fullback position. So there is no reason why Schiller could not do the same.

The issue here is that currently Schiller is only signed to a juniors contract which also holds some questions. His contract was signed 2yrs ago on a 3yr deal, however, the Dragons allowed him to stay in Young to complete his academic studies (in 2019). 2020 wiped-out due to COVID. So technically he's on his final year in 2021 with the Dragons.
Given our DS quota is full for 2021, it would mean Schiller would have to be promoted straight to the NRL 30 squad on a new deal asap, as the article below states there was keen interest from Penrith and Canberra previously. Add to this he was also selected for the Brumbies acadamy at that time.

If he's as good as people say (and I believe so), then filling one of the remaining 4 top 30 spots should be a priority.

https://www.youngwitness.com.au/sto...r-inks-deal-with-st-george-illawarra-dragons/

SnowDragon

Juniors
The issue here is that currently Schiller is only signed to a juniors contract which also holds some questions. His contract was signed 2yrs ago on a 3yr deal, however, the Dragons allowed him to stay in Young to complete his academic studies (in 2019). 2020 wiped-out due to COVID. So technically he's on his final year in 2021 with the Dragons.
Given our DS quota is full for 2021, it would mean Schiller would have to be promoted straight to the NRL 30 squad on a new deal asap, as the article below states there was keen interest from Penrith and Canberra previously. Add to this he was also selected for the Brumbies acadamy at that time.

If he's as good as people say (and I believe so), then filling one of the remaining 4 top 30 spots should be a priority.

https://www.youngwitness.com.au/sto...r-inks-deal-with-st-george-illawarra-dragons/

Sounds right to me.

better to tie up youngsters the overspend on so called stars

BLM01

First Grade
I believe that Ramsey will be our next fullback but would not be surprised to see Schiller promoted to the first grade fullback position after killing it in at fullback in reserve grade. I might be wrong but I think Dufty was promoted directly into the first grade fullback position. So there is no reason why Schiller could not do the same.
You are correct. Dufty was promoted to 1st grade fullback from playing fullback in reggies

possm

Coach
You are correct. Dufty was promoted to 1st grade fullback from playing fullback in reggies
So let's see how Dufty and Schiller go in the off-season and maybe start Dufty at fullback in first grade and Schiller at fullback in reserve grade. Then let form dictate the situation. However, it is a must that we extend Schiller's contract asap.

So if Griffin wants Bird, it appears his initial thoughts are that Bird will partner Hunt in the halves.

I don't have a clue what Griffin wants to do with Norman, but I do hope he can swap him for Jo O at the Broncos.

And yes we do need to make Crichton our number one recruiting priority right now because he is the obvious replacement for Frizell.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
So let's see how Dufty and Schiller go in the off-season and maybe start Dufty at fullback in first grade and Schiller in first grade in reserve grade. Then let form dictate the situation. However, it is a must that we extend Schiller's contract asap.

So if Griffin wants Bird, it appears his initial thoughts are that Bird will partner Hunt in the halves.

I don't have a clue what Griffin wants to do with Norman, but I do hope he can swap him for Jo O at the Broncos.

And yes we do need to make Crichton our number one recruiting priority right now because he is the obvious replacement for Frizell.
Point 1. That is the plan
Point 2. A fit and firing Bird (a big if..if injuries are kind) can play 1,3,4,6,13 or even 11 & 12 on the edge at a pinch
Point 3. Not worth to swap him and pay him big dosh to play elesewhere + pay the salary of a replacement. Brisbane domt want Norman. We are bawking at Bird for the same reasons.
Point 4. Happy to have Angus with his 9.5 fingers but not at $105,000K a finger

possm

Coach
Point 1. That is the plan
Point 2. A fit and firing Bird (a big if..if injuries are kind) can play 1,3,4,6,13 or even 11 & 12 on the edge at a pinch
Point 3. Not worth to swap him and pay him big dosh to play elesewhere + pay the salary of a replacement. Brisbane domt want Norman. We are bawking at Bird for the same reasons.
Point 4. Happy to have Angus with his 9.5 fingers but not at $105,000K a finger
Brisbane will happy to terminate Birds contract and sign Norman for one year instead.
Dragons will be happy to terminate Normans contract and sign Bird for a season with an option in the clubs favour for a further season.

If this can't work, then just arrange a swap loan for one season.

BLM01

First Grade
Brisbane will happy to terminate Birds contract and sign Norman for one year instead.
Dragons will be happy to terminate Normans contract and sign Bird for a season with an option in the clubs favour for a further season.

If this can't work, then just arrange a swap loan for one season.
So Norman is wanted by Brisbane is he?..maybe in 2011 not 2021

possm

Coach
So Norman is wanted by Brisbane is he?..maybe in 2011 not 2021
Not really but Bird is on the nose there and they will do anything to offload him. Remember the current Broncos coach selected Norman to five-eighth in his Qld SOO team.

Both players could do with a change of club. I think is Bird can avoid injury, his inclusion in our 17 would be an improvement on Norman. And if Norman can be motivated to perform by Kevie, then that would be a win for Brisbane.

BLM01

First Grade
Not really but Bird is on the nose there and they will do anything to offload him. Remember the current Broncos coach selected Norman to five-eighth in his Qld SOO team.

Both players could do with a change of club. I think is Bird can avoid injury, his inclusion in our 17 would be an improvement on Norman. And if Norman can be motivated to perform by Kevie, then that would be a win for Brisbane.
I think they would rather bird than catch a Norman

possm

Coach
Schiller should definitely be signed up long term. Many people have a very high opinion of him.
Yes I agree he should be signed up long term. I also think he should be promoted directly into the top 28 and initially selected at fullback in reserve grade.

From that it should be form that determins any further promotions.

possm

Coach
Top 30 confirmed it is for next year
Are you saying that the NRL have confirmed it will be a top 30 for season 2021.

If this is the case, then surely there would be room to fit Schiller in. In this way he could fill a back five position if needed and if his from is good enough.

possm

Coach
I rate Schiller highly and believe that when he makes his first grade debut, it will be as impressive as Ramsey's was.

possm

Coach
I've never seen him play.Bet 95% on this forum hasn't as well , so who knows. Thats why we need second tier next year desperately.
Well, I believe we will have Canterbury Cup and Jersey Flegg games in 2021. I also believe Schiller will light things up in our Canterbury Cup side from fullback.

George Dragon

Juniors
@George Dragon

mate, any news on where he will be playing next year, ie: CC or JF or ?
Last we spoke he only had a lower grade contract.
Not sure what is happening with Flegg.
There is a lot of cost cutting going on.
I know a few of the part times boys have not been given a contract.
Wouldn't surprise me to see our best 20s make up the numbers in the State Cup team.
Should know more in the next weeks.

Latest posts