What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steelers celebrate proud 40-year history

getsmarty

Immortal
illawarra-steelers-rod-wishart.jpg

NSWRL NEWS

Founding club Steelers celebrate proud 40-year history
Author
Terry Williams Contributor
Timestamp
Mon 14 Dec 2020, 11:28 AM
Share on social media
When the Illawarra Steelers were given the green light to enter the NSWRL premiership 40 years ago today it represented the culmination of a long battle by local officials.

The Illawarra and south coast districts had long been strongholds of the game but their previous attempts to join the elite competition had been repeatedly thwarted. But the endless stream of champions who emerged from the nursey of the Wollongong area – the likes of Keith Barnes, Graeme Langlands, Bob Fulton, Michael Cronin, etc – finally persuaded both the NSWRL and Country Rugby League that the time was ripe.

The Steelers made their premiership debut on February 28, 1982 against Penrith at Wollongong Stadium, and although they lost 17-7 their team featured greats including skipper John Dorahy, NSW centre Brian Hetherington and a host of keen young locals.

In their seventeen seasons in first grade the Steelers produced legends including Rod Wishart, Bob Lindner, Alan McIndoe and Paul McGregor who all went on to represent Australia.

craig-fitzgibbon.jpg

Equally popular were local heroes Michael Bolt (who played most first grade games for the club), Ian Russell, John Cross, Neil Piccinelli and Dean Schiffiliti, Brett Rodwell, John Simon and Trent Barrett who all wore the scarlet and white jersey with distinction.

Although the Steelers nearly pulled off one of the great upsets in modern times when narrowly beaten by the star-studded Brisbane Broncos in the 1989 Panasonic Cup final the club’s stellar season came in 1992. That year they claimed the Tooheys Challenge pre-season title and went within a whisker of qualifying for the Grand Final.

illawarra-steelers-sg-ball-cup.jpg

Since the merger the Steelers brand remains strong as a standalone identity in the Harold Matthews and SG Ball Cup competitions, winning their third SG Ball in 2019 and they continue to serve as a rich nursery for the Dragons NRL side.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/12/14/steelers-celebrate-proud-40-year-history/

goldiesaintz

Juniors
The Steelers and the Illawarra region have produced many a fine player over the years.
At the time of the joint venture, the Steelers in particular had some quality stars.

It would of been fitting to see the likes of Rob Wishart and co win a premiership in 99.
To this day, l still despise Bill Harrigan for his refereeing.

Gareth67

First Grade
A hearty congratulations to the Steelers on their 40th , the team was certainly worthy of their place in the NRL . As the article has stated the Illawarra region gave the game many a talented player that went on to stellar careers with their respective clubs .

The amalgamation with Saints in 1999 gave the Dragons one of the best rosters in the competition with the likes of Brad Mackay , Rod Wishart and of course Paul McGregor who always produced a tradesman-like performance in the centers .

Well done gents !

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Still amazes me that players like the Stewart bros slipped through the clubs fingers in what was supposed to be their strength. Hope Hook has a handle on it.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
A hearty congratulations to the Steelers on their 40th , the team was certainly worthy of their place in the NRL . As the article has stated the Illawarra region gave the game many a talented player that went on to stellar careers with their respective clubs .

The amalgamation with Saints in 1999 gave the Dragons one of the best rosters in the competition with the likes of Brad Mackay , Rod Wishart and of course Paul McGregor who always produced a tradesman-like performance in the centers .

Well done gents !

G67,
I think of Brad Mackay as one of the all time greats.
I can't recall Brad ever having a bad game.
He would just tackle, after tackle, after tackle.
He was quite natured and you never heard a bad word from him.
The perfect club man.
If the truth be known, l do not know of anyone else l would rate above him.
If only we could clone him.
Ahhhhh................. those were the days.

Gareth67

First Grade
G67,
I think of Brad Mackay as one of the all time greats.
I can't recall Brad ever having a bad game.
He would just tackle, after tackle, after tackle.
He was quite natured and you never heard a bad word from him.
The perfect club man.
If the truth be known, l do not know of anyone else l would rate above him.
If only we could clone him.
Ahhhhh................. those were the days.

They certainly were GoldieSaints . I recall a very young Brad MacKay ( 18 years of age I believe ) appearing on Rex Mossop’s league show - Controversy Corner (?) in his first season with St.George .

The Moose said what a change it was to listen to such a level headed young man - or words to that effect . Then the Moose said that he would speak to the Sea Eagles ‘ Godfather ‘ Ken Arthurson to get him a contract at Manly - the bluudy hide of the man ! :relaxed:

I don’t know why he left Saints unless it was to return to the Steelers or if he had a falling out somewhere along the line , however as you have said the man was one hell of a footy player and clubman . It must had been disappointing to lose to the Storm when Illawarra and St.George became one team .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Lol, 'proud' history.

FMD.
Playing in their own right they entered and exited the NRL all within a 17 year period very impressive considering the huge nursery they had at their disposal.

Re you being told not to be a dinosaur and stop living in the past I do note that the headline was about their proud 40 year history lol one would think that is well and truly in the past.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
The best for the old Steelers brand was the merger with the Dragons.A mutually beneficial marriage of two long term suitor,that enabled both parties to remain in the NRL.

S.T.G

Bench
They certainly were GoldieSaints . I recall a very young Brad MacKay ( 18 years of age I believe ) appearing on Rex Mossop’s league show - Controversy Corner (?) in his first season with St.George .

The Moose said what a change it was to listen to such a level headed young man - or words to that effect . Then the Moose said that he would speak to the Sea Eagles ‘ Godfather ‘ Ken Arthurson to get him a contract at Manly - the bluudy hide of the man ! :relaxed:

I don’t know why he left Saints unless it was to return to the Steelers or if he had a falling out somewhere along the line , however as you have said the man was one hell of a footy player and clubman . It must had been disappointing to lose to the Storm when Illawarra and St.George became one team .
He left because smith gave the Captaincy to Coyne not him .

SBD82

Coach
Playing in their own right they entered and exited the NRL all within a 17 year period very impressive considering the huge nursery they had at their disposal.

Re you being told not to be a dinosaur and stop living in the past I do note that the headline was about their proud 40 year history lol one would think that is well and truly in the past.
I’m looking forward to the day that you are relegated to the past.

Although it probably won’t provide any respite. There never seems to be any lack of people willing to take up the “cranky old shit” mantle.

Old Timer

Coach
I’m looking forward to the day that you are relegated to the past.

Although it probably won’t provide any respite. There never seems to be any lack of people willing to take up the “cranky old shit” mantle.
I take it the facts were a bit too much for you to handle?

The news article headlines was about Illawarra Steelers who existed in the NRL before the JV and were opposition to the then St George Club and I am trying to understand what exactly the Steelers are proud of in their 17 years of NRL?

I think they had significant resources and never managed to transfer that into results during their 17 year NRL history because if they had they would still be around in their own right.

SBD82

Coach
I take it the facts were a bit too much for you to handle?

The news article headlines was about Illawarra Steelers who existed in the NRL before the JV and were opposition to the then St George Club and I am trying to understand what exactly the Steelers are proud of in their 17 years of NRL?

I think they had significant resources and never managed to transfer that into results during their 17 year NRL history because if they had they would still be around in their own right.
Facts? Please. You know f**k all about the Steelers. You’re just a belligerent old merkin that still bears a grudge from the formation of the JV.

It was twenty years ago. Twenty.

Time to let it go.

Old Timer

Coach
Facts? Please. You know f**k all about the Steelers. You’re just a belligerent old merkin that still bears a grudge from the formation of the JV.

It was twenty years ago. Twenty.

Time to let it go.
What the f**k are you celebrating then?