What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breakout Season/Surprise Packet 2021

Gareth67

First Grade
04A768F2-312D-48BE-900C-98A583D1D87B.jpeg

“ I was one of the best you ungrateful sods , I gave you the best years of my life , you just didn’t appreciate how far advanced I was for the game . Recall when I had the idea of having 2 balls in play at the same time ? For some unknown reason the bigwigs at the NRL knocked it back - probably jealous they didn’t come up with the idea themselves . “

“ Anyway I am gone now and you blokes will regret it come next season under that mug Griffin - mark my words ! But for now I wish you all a Merry Christmas and don’t forget - my phone number is scribbled on the back wall of the paint shed at WIN stadium when you have had enough of Hook . “ :relaxed:

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Vaughan & Mc Innes

IMO we have only seen the tip of the iceberg with both these players who were
poorly and grossly under-utilised because of our obsession with the ridiculous “power game”

Vaughan in particular was subbed at very strange parts of the game and often didn’t return until the game was well and truly gone. He obviously has an offload in him but that was put in the rack never to be seen.

Mc Innes has got plenty of dash and that was never factored as part of the game plan and looked clunky when he took it upon himself to dart out of dummy half so with forwards capable of offloading I expect him to provide important support up the middle with a link to a quick transition. With Sowie on board I fully expect him to also develop a very crafty kicking game.

I truly believe these guys have a lot more to offer and will go to heights not yet seen.

Last edited:

SnowDragon

Juniors
Josh Kerr to have the breakout year imho
He had a solid 2020 (as much as any forward), and with confidence is getting to the age he can dominate.

I was to say Max Fegai as my surprise... or maybe Sullivan, but maybe it’s not a surprise after what they have showed. Fuimiano is probably the real potential surprise since he dropped off after some early promise, but I expect/hope for him to have a great year... I’d like to see him in the lock position where he can carve thru tired slow moving defence.

jak

Bench
View attachment 44505

“ I was one of the best you ungrateful sods , I gave you the best years of my life , you just didn’t appreciate how far advanced I was for the game . Recall when I had the idea of having 2 balls in play at the same time ? For some unknown reason the bigwigs at the NRL knocked it back - probably jealous they didn’t come up with the idea themselves . “

“ Anyway I am gone now and you blokes will regret it come next season under that mug Griffin - mark my words ! But for now I wish you all a Merry Christmas and don’t forget - my phone number is scribbled on the back wall of the paint shed at WIN stadium when you have had enough of Hook . “ :relaxed:
gareth, your meds man please get back on your meds.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I have the feeling we are going to see a significant improvement & playing style with our forwards. I expect that Kerr, Laurie & Ford will all surprise and deliver.
The addition of Matt Elliot as assistant coach in charge of attack will be instrumental in changing our previous woeful power & burnout style.
Those that remember Elliot playing for the Saints, will remember he was a very skilful forward, usually coming off the bench, with the ability to offload and create opportunities.
Not big in size, but things happened around him & Brian Smith seemed to give him a free reign to showcase his skills.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
I have the feeling we are going to see a significant improvement & playing style with our forwards. I expect that Kerr, Laurie & Ford will all surprise and deliver.
The addition of Matt Elliot as assistant coach in charge of attack will be instrumental in changing our previous woeful power & burnout style.
Those that remember Elliot playing for the Saints, will remember he was a very skilful forward, usually coming off the bench, with the ability to offload and create opportunities.
Not big in size, but things happened around him & Brian Smith seemed to give him a free reign to showcase his skills.
Yes I remember him well he was a very skilful player with a good footy brain.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Any number of players could have a real breakout season in 2021, from the most experienced to our rookies. The fact remains that the previous regime had stymied the careers of so many that it wouldn't surprise to see us as a whole have a 'breakout season'.
The recent player/coach interviews really highlight how bad things were and I think this showed in many players performances during the last couple of years.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am hoping Max Feagai has a breakout season and makes the centre positions his to keep for many years and have a Lomax/Feagai centre combo similar to the Gaz/Coops one we enjoyed for many years.

I also think Ramsey may also secure a spot as he has better hands than Rava and much quicker. Rava has size but that is it. Rava and Jordan can fight over the other wing spot.

Dufty needs to improve under the high ball with guys running at him. He seems to panic under pressure. As a fullback that is your bread and butter. If he continues to struggle with that then Ramsey or Lomax may be the long term fullback.

As for the forwards, I hope Ellis has a big year. He did ok when he was on. With an offseason at the Saints under his belt it will be good for him.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I am hoping Max Feagai has a breakout season and makes the centre positions his to keep for many years and have a Lomax/Feagai centre combo similar to the Gaz/Coops one we enjoyed for many years.

I also think Ramsey may also secure a spot as he has better hands than Rava and much quicker. Rava has size but that is it. Rava and Jordan can fight over the other wing spot.

Dufty needs to improve under the high ball with guys running at him. He seems to panic under pressure. As a fullback that is your bread and butter. If he continues to struggle with that then Ramsey or Lomax may be the long term fullback.

As for the forwards, I hope Ellis has a big year. He did ok when he was on. With an offseason at the Saints under his belt it will be good for him.

100% agree RE Dufty with Ramsey & in the near future Schiller breathing down his neck he’ll need to improve. He tackle effectiveness was only 71% last year & he’s no good under the high ball. He ranked 34 in run meters which surprised me, that’s very low. There were 5 fullbacks in the top 7; 1) Tedesco 2) Gutherson 5) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 6) Ryan Papenhuyzen 7) Chamze Nicol-Klokstad

We also need a lot more from our wingers, Rava was our only player in the top 50 (19) for line breaks compared to 1) Alex Johnson 2) J Mansour 3) B Morris 4) Maika Sivo 5) Josh Addo-Carr all wingers.

When you look at the stats we were always starting our sets on the back foot because our back 3 are relatively ineffective.

Dufty is off contract in 2021 so it’s really a make or break year for him.

Gareth67

First Grade
gareth, your meds man please get back on your meds.

Sorry mate , but I think that each time I climb into bed of a night and cover my tired aching body with my ‘ Paul McGregor ‘ blanket ( picture included of course ) it has some strange effect upon my grey matter . :flushed:

since77

Juniors
Lomax needs glue on his hands, he committed more errors than any other player in the NRL last season.
I’d wager a great percentage of those was contesting kicks so forgivable. His unforced errors were at least in the effort to create something in attack, and I’d prefer that to the robotic ineptness our halves were in charge of last year. I think he’ll reduce those unforced errors this year if Griffin can get the halves playing well and the backs can relax a little bit compared to the McGregor era.

jak

Bench
Sorry mate , but I think that each time I climb into bed of a night and cover my tired aching body with my ‘ Paul McGregor ‘ blanket ( picture included of course ) it has some strange effect upon my grey matter . :flushed:
that's better that's the meds talking

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’d wager a great percentage of those was contesting kicks so forgivable. His unforced errors were at least in the effort to create something in attack, and I’d prefer that to the robotic ineptness our halves were in charge of last year. I think he’ll reduce those unforced errors this year if Griffin can get the halves playing well and the backs can relax a little bit compared to the McGregor era.
Agree, he does have to improve his hands a touch no doubt and I'm very confident he will but as you say he is a very busy player. Not many centres in the comp have as much involvement as Lomax does to us. He is in everything and always trying to create something.

blacksafake

First Grade
Lomax needs glue on his hands, he committed more errors than any other player in the NRL last season.
I’m confident this part of his game will improve, especially under a better coaching structure and am happy for some mistakes.
Some of his drops were from trying something or getting the ball under pressure from the defence. I remember the Morris boys, particularly Brett when they first came into the top grade had poor hands, Luke Patten was another & they all turned out ok.

BLM01

First Grade
Any number of players could have a real breakout season in 2021, from the most experienced to our rookies. The fact remains that the previous regime had stymied the careers of so many that it wouldn't surprise to see us as a whole have a 'breakout season'.
The recent player/coach interviews really highlight how bad things were and I think this showed in many players performances during the last couple of years.
What about the fans..its our turn. We have been subdued for many a season!

Maddragon99

Juniors
St. George Illawarra Dragons
Max Feagai

There’s a few solid youngsters coming through the grades in Wollongong, recent debutants Cody Ramsey, Eddie Blackerand Jayden Sullivan to boot.

But the revelation that Jack Bird will play lock, means Cameron McInnes will play hooker, Ben Hunt is back at halfback, with the Feagai twins and Brayden Williame fighting it out to partner Zac Lomax in the centres.

Max played the final two games for the Red V, including a last round victory over Melbourne, and looked promising. Still quite raw at 19, but if given a chance by new coach Anthony Griffin, watch him run with it.

Latest posts