What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daly M Awards 2023

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Congrats to all the players and coaches who won the Daly M awards for 2023 but I must say what the hell does Ivan Cleary have to do to win Coach of the year. He wins the minor Premiership by 5pts in 2020, and runner up in GF. He finishes equal first in 2021 and wins GF. He wins both Mimor Premiership and Premiership in 2022 and Minor premiers in 2023 and potential 3 in a row GF's yet has not been given coach of the year. He lost to Bellamy in 2021 and Payten in 2022 and now Webster in 2023. I really feel for Ivan as he will go down as an absolute legend and for me has surpassed Bellamy, Robbo and Bennett for 4 absolute dominant years where his team was stripped by the Dogs and still delivered. And to top that off on the back of juniors.

Also Ponga to get 6pts in the last round to surpass Shaun Johnson. What a finish. That was also a bit of a shame as Ponga was out for a fair chunk on the season. Ponga was outstanding for the Knights the last 10 or so rounds but before then Shaun was on fire so hence why he really did deserve the gong or at least should have shared it with Ponga.

Good to see Saints win an award and for all things try of the year. Something we would not expect Saints to get an award for especially under the coaching of Hook the past 2.5 years. Credit to Carr as from memory that was his first game in charge when they beat the chooks.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Congrats to all the players and coaches who won the Daly M awards for 2023 but I must say what the hell does Nathan Cleary have to do to win Coach of the year. He wins the minor Premiership by 5pts in 2020, and runner up in GF. He finishes equal first in 2021 and wins GF. He wins both Mimor Premiership and Premiership in 2022 and Minor premiers in 2023 and potential 3 in a row GF's yet has not been given coach of the year. He lost to Bellamy in 2021 and Payten in 2022 and now Webster in 2023. I really feel for Ivan as he will go down as an absolute legend and for me has surpassed Bellamy, Robbo and Bennett for 4 absolute dominant years where his team was stripped by the Dogs and still delivered. And to top that off on the back of juniors.

Also Ponga to get 6pts in the last round to surpass Shaun Johnson. What a finish. That was also a bit of a shame as Ponga was out for a fair chunk on the season. Ponga was outstanding for the Knights the last 10 or so rounds but before then Shaun was on fire so hence why he really did deserve the gong or at least should have shared it with Ponga.

Good to see Saints win an award and for all things try of the year. Something we would not expect Saints to get an award for especially under the coaching of Hook the past 2.5 years. Credit to Carr as from memory that was his first game in charge when they beat the chooks.

Slippery, I know you mean Ivan Cleary. Yes he should have received more recognition for continuing the success of the Panthers over the past 4 years. He and his assistants over that time have been brilliant and congratulations to him but also commiserations to him for not getting the big gong of best coach again.

In a way I was hoping for SJ to win the DM Award but KP did do well in the games he played in. I agree it should have been a tie.

At least we won something. Hopefully next year we win more.

This Year?

Immortal
Congrats to all the players and coaches who won the Daly M awards for 2023 but I must say what the hell does Nathan Cleary have to do to win Coach of the year. He wins the minor Premiership by 5pts in 2020, and runner up in GF. He finishes equal first in 2021 and wins GF. He wins both Mimor Premiership and Premiership in 2022 and Minor premiers in 2023 and potential 3 in a row GF's yet has not been given coach of the year. He lost to Bellamy in 2021 and Payten in 2022 and now Webster in 2023. I really feel for Ivan as he will go down as an absolute legend and for me has surpassed Bellamy, Robbo and Bennett for 4 absolute dominant years where his team was stripped by the Dogs and still delivered. And to top that off on the back of juniors.

My personal choice would have been Ivan Cleary too, but the award usually goes to the coach that has created the biggest turnaround.
I think Walters, Cleary or Webster were all deserving of the award and to Webster's credit he was very gracious and humble in accepting it. He even highlighted how the other coaches are coaching in a grand final.
Webster has won my respect and adoration. I can't wait to see him win a comp, no matter who he coaches.

BLM01

First Grade
Congrats to all the players and coaches who won the Daly M awards for 2023 but I must say what the hell does Ivan Cleary have to do to win Coach of the year. He wins the minor Premiership by 5pts in 2020, and runner up in GF. He finishes equal first in 2021 and wins GF. He wins both Mimor Premiership and Premiership in 2022 and Minor premiers in 2023 and potential 3 in a row GF's yet has not been given coach of the year. He lost to Bellamy in 2021 and Payten in 2022 and now Webster in 2023. I really feel for Ivan as he will go down as an absolute legend and for me has surpassed Bellamy, Robbo and Bennett for 4 absolute dominant years where his team was stripped by the Dogs and still delivered. And to top that off on the back of juniors.

Can’t put Ivan yet with those guys yet
Bennett, Bellamy and Robbo have had multiple success over min 10 years
Even though Storm found to have fudged the books a bit they made 4 GF’s in a row too and one 2.
Ivan has a chance to go to 3/4
It seems the feel good stories get the awards and what the media trot out.
Agree what does Ivan have to do but did he not win it in 2020? or were awards canned cause at COVID?
But I suppose also everyone is over Penrith winning as is now expected
The media need something exciting to cling too!

Draginzaaar

Bench
Can’t put Ivan yet with those guys yet
Bennett, Bellamy and Robbo have had multiple success over min 10 years
Even though Storm found to have fudged the books a bit they made 4 GF’s in a row too and one 2.
Ivan has a chance to go to 3/4
It seems the feel good stories get the awards and what the media trot out.
Agree what does Ivan have to do but did he not win it in 2020? or were awards canned cause at COVID?
But I suppose also everyone is over Penrith winning as is now expected
The media need something exciting to cling too!
This is Ivan Cleary's 5th GF. He was the coach of the Warriors in 2011. So it maybe 3/5.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
This is Ivan Cleary's 5th GF. He was the coach of the Warriors in 2011. So it maybe 3/5.
Exactly and got the Warriors to the first and only. I really hope he does win the GF this season to get the 3 peat. If he does he overtakes Bellamy and Bennett in my eyes. They have been in it so long and had teams with future immortals and still could not get 3 in a row. It just shows how much of a big achievement it is.

getsmarty

Immortal
I am sure Ivans time will come. I am not a big fan of Penrith If I am honest. While they are an extremely talented team, they are a bit too polarizing for my mine.

On another topic - how good did Jess Sergis look at the Dally Ms. Such a natural beauty - wish she was still a Dragon.

Well said.