What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

Who’s the better dummyhalf for ‘22 & ‘23?

• Cameron McInnes

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • Ben Hunt

Votes: 38 45.2%

• Total voters

Gareth67

First Grade
My guess is Hook wants him to play lock and McCullough to hooker.
Dragons don't have a lock, so it seems the best fix and would work if happens.
CC

Agree C.C in which case he - Mcinnes will need a far bigger contribution from the rest of the pack as far as defense is concerned . The man was completely drained at games end last season , a combination of lazy teammates and the maestros game plan - “ Don’t worry if you miss a tackle as our lock will clean up the mess “ . :no_mouth:

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Over the last 3 years the players that bled the most red n white are JDB, friz and McInnes.
We should move heaven and earth to keep McInnes
Effin oath we should. I firmly believe if we can punch above our weight a bit in the early season we could easily snare a couple of nice mid season signings and really start to build to something special. I hope he’s a part of it.

George Sancti

Juniors
Cameron McInnis is whole hearted and has a great work ethic, but does not have the build or technique to play lock on a permanent basis, especially with a pack of forwards that are not overly aggressive. Therefore, his only permanent position is dummy half.

Anthony Griffin may not see McInnis’ ball distribution style as the best fit for the team, in particular giving fast service to our attacking backline and would prefer Andrew McCullough in the role. I feel that the club and McInnis have agreed that should acceptable deals be reached with the Tigers and Broncos respectively, McInnis will move on.

Gareth67

First Grade
Cameron McInnis is whole hearted and has a great work ethic, but does not have the build or technique to play lock on a permanent basis, especially with a pack of forwards that are not overly aggressive. Therefore, his only permanent position is dummy half.

Anthony Griffin may not see McInnis’ ball distribution style as the best fit for the team, in particular giving fast service to our attacking backline and would prefer Andrew McCullough in the role. I feel that the club and McInnis have agreed that should acceptable deals be reached with the Tigers and Broncos respectively, McInnis will move on.

Unfortunately that may very well be the case George , however the Tiger’s hooker Liddle (?) was only saying earlier in the week that he he intends to make the hooking role “ his “ this season .

Even if the Dragons do sign McCulloch I believe that McInnes will remain with the Big Red V for season 2021 and move on next year .

There is one most important element that is missing from our forward pack at the moment and that is an individual who can actually guide the team around the park . Not so much providing good distribution from the dummy half position , but actually organizing and the directing play .

A true link man between forwards and backs , I believe that this may be the reason as to why Griffin is after the McCulloch . His acquisition would solve that problem - something that has been missing for many a year now .

Last edited:
Unfortunately that may very well be the case George , however the Tiger’s hooker Liddle (?) was only saying earlier in the week that he he intends to make the hooking role “ his “ this season .

Even if the Dragons do sign McCulloch I believe that McInnes will remain with the Big Red V for season 2021 and move on next year .

There is one most important element that is missing from our forward pack at the moment and that is an individual who can actually guide the team around the park . Not so much providing good distribution from the dummy half position , but actually organizing and the directing play .

A true link man between forwards and backs , I believe that this may be the reason as to why Griffin is after the McCulloch . His acquisition would solve that problem - something that has been missing for many a year now .

I think McInness is much too strong a player for any club not to make an general enquiry. Liddle has ways to go but Cam is finals ready in a heartbeat.

I can understand clubs releasing underperforming players and re-examining their cap issues ( and they try to look 2 or 3 years ahead with room for surprise opportunities) but he’s too fine a player to let go without a massive struggle almost to the death.

I think he is one of the best players in the entire game. The cream. Rare and badly needed at the moment during readjustment via de-maryfication.

Apart from his 100 game, the inspiration and attitude he brings is priceless. Plus he doesn’t wander around singing his own praises or ponce about the media being a greedy flog.

He’s serious gold plated marquee, entitled to measured overs.

I would feel ashamed if the wt signed him without massive bankrupting compensation and a nofo etc.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
When Brandon Smith became available I accepted we might not be interested because we have McInnes. Weeks later and we are trying to snatch another injured broncos veteran to replace Cameron.

What have we done so wrong to deserve this punishment as fans?!

We have cash to burn but instead of a going after a premiership it looks as though we are set on gambling on some iffy players and creating a new boys club.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
When Brandon Smith became available I accepted we might not be interested because we have McInnes. Weeks later and we are trying to snatch another injured broncos veteran to replace Cameron.

What have we done so wrong to deserve this punishment as fans?!

We have cash to burn but instead of a going after a premiership it looks as though we are set on gambling on some iffy players and creating a new boys club.
We definitely don’t need anymore ex Brisbane duds.

possm

Coach
I think McInness is much too strong a player for any club not to make an general enquiry. Liddle has ways to go but Cam is finals ready in a heartbeat.

I can understand clubs releasing underperforming players and re-examining their cap issues ( and they try to look 2 or 3 years ahead with room for surprise opportunities) but he’s too fine a player to let go without a massive struggle almost to the death.

I think he is one of the best players in the entire game. The cream. Rare and badly needed at the moment during readjustment via de-maryfication.

Apart from his 100 game, the inspiration and attitude he brings is priceless. Plus he doesn’t wander around singing his own praises or ponce about the media being a greedy flog.

He’s serious gold plated marquee, entitled to measured overs.

I would feel ashamed if the wt signed him without massive bankrupting compensation and a nofo etc.
Griffin and his staff have identified changes that need to be made to the playing roster and the team's style of play. I'm absolutely sure that if McInnes indicated positively about these changes, there would not be an issue.

The money is an issue but as we have seen with the recruitment of Bird, compromises can be made and Griffin is willing to do that to get his changes implemented for long term success. Griffin just can't have his Club Captain and hooker bucking against his new style of play.

If I was the coach I would be asking McInnes to:

• Improve his passes from dummy half.
  • Ensure he sends the ball to the correct side of play (count the numbers) or listen to his halves/fullback.
  • Run the ball and then pass when the time is right.
  • Don't try and tackle every player who runs within 10m of you. Let the other forwards do their job in defence and make sure you tell them it is theirs.
  • I suppose the most important thing for McInnes to do is to show the coach that he is loyal and on-board with the changes he wants to implement; a must for any Club Captain.

Griffin and his staff have identified changes that need to be made to the playing roster and the team's style of play. I'm absolutely sure that if McInnes indicated positively about these changes, there would not be an issue.

The money is an issue but as we have seen with the recruitment of Bird, compromises can be made and Griffin is willing to do that to get his changes implemented for long term success. Griffin just can't have his Club Captain and hooker bucking against his new style of play.

If I was the coach I would be asking McInnes to:

• Improve his passes from dummy half.
  • Ensure he sends the ball to the correct side of play (count the numbers) or listen to his halves/fullback.
  • Run the ball and then pass when the time is right.
  • Don't try and tackle every player who runs within 10m of you. Let the other forwards do their job in defence and make sure you tell them it is theirs.
  • I suppose the most important thing for McInnes to do is to show the coach that he is loyal and on-board with the changes he wants to implement; a must for any Club Captain.

That’s a thoughtful and very interesting post. Thanks.

I can’t see Cam taking on Hook unless Mary has really screwed with his head a la Duffy.

I think he’s in that category of players where you probably would notice him a lot more if he doesn’t play.

I just love his game. I think the whole fan base in game admires him. Whatever he lacks in the flair, he makes up for a hundred fold in defence. Mary couldn’t see the wood for the trees but his humility and strength of feeling for the CM was spot on. The one thing he got consistently right and remains respected for after years of coaching comedy and rabid self deception.

If cm isn’t worth $800plus....and for that you get 1.5 players such are his powers. You actually save money with him.

Last edited:

George Sancti

Juniors

I hope your are correct Gareth67 and that Cameron McInnis does see out the 2021 season, especially with the club not having picked up that dominant forward we have been hoping for.