What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy Straya Day

Noise

Coach
Based on the packed beaches and parks today I’d say the vast majority of people are pretty comfortable celebrating today. It’s probably the busiest I’ve ever seen it.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Based on the packed beaches and parks today I’d say the vast majority of people are pretty comfortable celebrating today. It’s probably the busiest I’ve ever seen it.
I've never seen my town more packed than this weekend. We're bursting. I think COVID has some thing to do with it too.

strider

Post Whore
I intentionally stay away from crowded beaches on australia day ..... i'm un-australian and/or getting old

Incorrect

Coach
I'm pretty much of the same view as comrades Gary and Strider Re Australia Day. Largely filled with apathy. But I can certainly understand where indigenous folk are coming from.

Today in particular just driving around with the radio on, I note that the ABC are shying away from referring to today as Australia Day for whatever reason. I think when the national broadcaster are going down that path, there's a problem and needs addressing.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
There comes a point where the perpetual debate is more damaging than the ramifications of changing it. We need to make a f**ken decision but no chance of any change with ScMo in charge.

agreed

Australia Day seems to be more divisional than uniting and its going to get worse till something gives

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well surf is done, now off to a BBQ at some one else's place for a change instead of having it at my place every year

hindy111

Post Whore
It’s saddens me when we as a nation are constantly giving in to the minorities.

The suggestion the other day from that irrelevant lefty soft c**k that it should be changed to the same day as the Mabo decision is also not the right day as it would do the same and even worse and alienate the majority of Australians.

Keep Australia Day as is but once Scotland leaves the UK the Union Jack will be obsolete. That’s when we should consider possibly changing the flag.

Lets say you lived in a shared house with 10 people. And they decided to have a party. They set the date and its the same day one of your loved ones died. Maybe your Mother or Father. So you suggest if we are having a party I can't celebrate that day and make them aware of the reason. And as an alternative ask if it's OK if we make it another day so I can join in and also have fun.
You are the minority. How would you like the other 9 to react?

hindy111

Post Whore
yeah I'm pretty much the same ... and when it changes, don't pull this bullshit anzac day on the weekend mumbo jumbo on us and take the public holiday away if it falls on a saturday or sunday .... and preferably make whatever the alternate day is sometime in the warmer months

I think its fair to say 26th isn't good as it represents the start of something bad for many

I think a public holiday should be on a Monday so its a long weekend. Maybe make it the last weekend of Summer.

Noise

Coach
Lets say you lived in a shared house with 10 people. And they decided to have a party. They set the date and its the same day one of your loved ones died. Maybe your Mother or Father. So you suggest if we are having a party I can't celebrate that day and make them aware of the reason. And as an alternative ask if it's OK if we make it another day so I can join in and also have fun.
You are the minority. How would you like the other 9 to react?
If it's one of the other 9 people's birthday they should still have the dam party. Or do you think that they should never be able to celebrate on their birthday?

hindy111

Post Whore
If it's one of the other 9 people's birthday they should still have the dam party. Or do you think that they should never be able to celebrate on their birthday?

If I was in a shared house and the person asked me if it was OK to make it tomorrow instead so they are able to join in I would have no issue at all cause I am not selfish.That's just me. I'm very chill. But if its another member of the shared house birthday and they said no I am having it that day I would also be open to their choice and if felt like joining in I would.

I am like Gary. Aus day is just a day off for me. I do not do anything that patriotic.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
If I was in a shared house and the person asked me if it was OK to make it tomorrow instead so they are able to join in I would have no issue at all cause I am not selfish.That's just me.
I am like Gary. Aus day is just a day off for me. I do not do anything that patriotic.
I don't do anything different either. It's always the last day of my holidays. I go for a couple of surfs just like every other day. But back to your original question, to expect someone to NEVER celebrate their birthday on their birthday because the housemate experienced a loss on the same day many years ago is ridiculous.

hindy111

Post Whore
I don't do anything different either. It's always the last day of my holidays. I go for a couple of surfs just like every other day. But back to your original question, to expect someone to NEVER celebrate their birthday on their birthday because the housemate experienced a loss on the same day many years ago is ridiculous.

Not ridiculous at all whilst living in the same house.

Noise

Coach
Not ridiculous at all whilst living in the same house.
It might not be ridiculous the first year. But not every single f**king year. What about when someone at their work wants to celebrate their birthday with work colleagues during lunch. Are they not allowed to either?

hindy111

Post Whore
What about when someone at their work wants to celebrate their birthday with work colleagues during lunch. Are they not allowed to either?

No they are not. All birthdays should be banned.
Cake is ok but no candles

Latest posts